Anybody involved in theatre/musical theatre?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

UncommonPerspective
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2007, 4:59 pm

Curious to see how many of you guys on here do some involvement with straight theatre or musical theatre. Main reason I'm asking this is because my local paper made an article a couple days ago about a high school student with asperger's who's in a senior play, and the article seemed to make it like a rare thing, where I think it's a common occurence, I myself have done theatre and musical theatre.

Any of you guys do the same?

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Nov 2007, 5:02 pm

when i was younger (& secretly sometimes still if i am entirely honest) i always wanted to be in musicals. however i cant sing, which ruins that idea to be honest!

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2007, 6:17 pm

I've been involved in theatre.
They say I'm actually very entertaining, very good at acting.

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2007, 6:40 pm

I am a theater major in college and I am planning to work in theater professionally. My specialty is technical theater. I am not much of an actor though I have taken some acting classes that I enjoyed quite a bit.

SoupChef
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2007, 7:11 pm

I love musical theatre, it's actually kind of a special interest of mine. I'm not all that great at acting, but I do love to sing.

jade10025

18 Nov 2007, 7:56 pm

I was in a play as an extra, and I did a bunch of behind the scenes stuff with plays and was in the orchestra pit for several too. It was one of my favorite things ive ever done.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 8:42 pm

I have primarily been a theater techie over the years myself, between that and being a music techie too. Although I like doing sound a lot, I have gotten really interested in lighting lately. To me, the lighting side of things is a bit more artistic and gives me a chance to be a bit more creative. With theater lighting, One can work with all sorts of different colors, angles, brightnesses, etc...there is so much to do! I have always loved the buzz and excitement of creating scenes and such with the lights and then watching it come to life on the stage

Now, don't get me wrong, the sound aspect is pretty neat too. I have always had a good ear for mixing sound and setting up systems, as it is my day to day job, not as much in theaters, but in many other venues.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 9:25 pm

Major interest of mine since I was a child. I love musical theatre and did work as a stage manager in London for a time. Also did a lot of am dram as a child and teen and applied for a stage school.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 7:28 am

Our 11 year old son has "found" a huge interest in theatre arts -- he attends an acting school on the weekends, which teaches acting, singing, and dance. Last summer we saw him do things at the end of the acting summer camp that we had no idea he could do! Apparently he's not the only one -- there are many aspies at this school. Last summer at acting camp, there's an older kid who has been to camp many years in a row, who has an absolutely fantastic singing voice! He was amazing!

We looked into acting school because another WrongPlanet member (actually, many) suggested it as a great way to learn social skills. This has turned out to be very true.

Kris

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 8:10 am

I was really fixated on theatre and musical theatre esp. when I was a kid.
I have always loved musicals, and when I got old enough, I deamed and dreamed of being able to attend acting workshops...but i guess my folks didn't have the money or something.... My mom's best friend had some connections to various small theatre groups around town and so occasionally, I would go to auditions...and spent alot of time reading books of scripts and monologues...but i was too fat and akward to be really right for any parts. I could make the people I was auditioning for laugh though....

My first experience in a musical was when I was about 12 and participated in a "Summer Youth Program" version of Cats...that was really exciting.....I had lots of singing parts...we actually performed for other summer programs for kids....only something bad happened and shortly after we opened I had to drop out of the production because of an extremely severe sunburn that made me unable to wear clothes (let alone perform for 2 weeks)....when I came back, they had given my nice costume to someone else and all my major songs were done by other people....

I was also Antonia in Man of Lamancha (Don Quixote's niece) in high school and Agnes of God..(which was not a musical, but I did play Agnes, who had some singing parts)

I ended up joining a band when I was 15...and stayed in the band till I was 25....
I have always wanted to pursue more acting and musical theatre though.....
I am talking small productions and whatnot....