Ever been called/considered cool (besides by people on WP)?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2007, 9:44 pm

I've been called cool quite a bit.
I'm not sure why though.
The people who called me cool never really told me.

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2007, 9:48 pm

Liverbird wrote:
InSpades wrote:
When someone calls an aspie cool, they really mean "different". They think that we are cool for not being a cookie cutter person. It is actually kind of condescending.

The people that are actually cool, aren't called cool by other people. They just have tons of friends and, if it's a guy, get laid all the time.

InSpades, where did you get your ideas about "cool"? You've been watching too many John Hughes 80's movies. I'm not trying to be abrasive, but I don't think it's condescending at all. Maybe some people mean it that way, but I think that we need to look at it as that being the only way they can express it's okay to not be a sheeple. Sometimes I think they say cool when they don't know how to express that they are jealous that we don't feel compelled to be sheeple.

People would call me cool in high school and college but they didn't respect me. Did they invite me to their parties ? No. Did they still make fun of me. Yes. The cool people get respect. That is how I know.

Like most aspies, I have a habit of analyzing everything. I analyze everything people say. When saying something opinionated there is always a deeper meaning to what people say. When calling an aspie cool, on the surface it may appear they are saying we are cool, but they are really saying we are different.

Guys, it is ok to accept who you are. But there are too many people on this board embracing who they are. That is not helping your cause.

Sorry guys, we are not cool.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 10:05 pm

I've never been called "cool", but I've been told that I "rock". Does that count?

(And no, I don't mean back and forth.)

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Nov 2007, 10:10 pm

InSpades wrote:

People would call me cool in high school and college but they didn't respect me. Did they invite me to their parties ? No. Did they still make fun of me. Yes. The cool people get respect. That is how I know.

But be honest. Even if they did ask you, would you have gone? Be realistic. Is it that you're angry that they didn't ask or that you are angry that you cannot bring yourself to go if and when invited?

InSpades wrote:
Like most aspies, I have a habit of analyzing everything. I analyze everything people say. When saying something opinionated there is always a deeper meaning to what people say. When calling an aspie cool, on the surface it may appear they are saying we are cool, but they are really saying we are different.

Guys, it is ok to accept who you are. But there are too many people on this board embracing who they are. That is not helping your cause.

Sorry guys, we are not cool.

What's wrong with you guys? You know, I fought too long and hard to accept myself. Do I embrace it? Yes. Do I wear tshirts proclaiming I have AS? No, I don't need to, I have the invisible weird tattoo. I never forget that I'm not the same. I think there comes a time when you have to be comfortable with yourself. You can't blame the world for not understanding when you hate yourself. If we're beating ourselves up because we can't be sheeple, that doesn't help the cause either.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

18 Nov 2007, 10:12 pm

Aridarr wrote:
(And no, I don't mean back and forth.)

:lol:

I don't remember ever having been called cool IRL. I've been called cool once on WP.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 10:09 am

No, I've never been called cool. I have been called nice. Cool was never really something I wanted to cultivate. I always wanted to be regarded as knowledgeable, responsible and intelligent.

fangfarrier
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: In the Highland of Scotland, never far from a pie shop

19 Nov 2007, 10:35 am

As far as I know never in my life have I been called "cool"

Have a huge list of other names I've been called, most of which are not suitable here.

Me, after much thought on the matter.

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Nov 2007, 1:11 pm

Liverbird wrote:
InSpades wrote:

But be honest. Even if they did ask you, would you have gone? Be realistic. Is it that you're angry that they didn't ask or that you are angry that you cannot bring yourself to go if and when invited?

I don't know. The point is, if they thought I was cool they would have invited me. They said I was cool, but didn't mean it in the sense the original poster meant.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Nov 2007, 1:19 pm

It's such a high school concept anyway. COOL. What the hell does that mean?

I guess my answer to InSpades is that you prolly wouldn't go if invited. And on the other hand, perhaps these people know that and they don't bother. Many of my friends don't invite me to large gatherings because they know it stresses me out. They still think I'm "cool", but respect my need to not be a part of large social gatherings.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Why are you wanting to be part of that, anyway. Maybe you should examine your own motives.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 1:24 pm

Looks like, for most of us, cool equates to < 98.6 F. Which implies illness.

Except Aridarr, who rocks! Yes, that counts, exempt from stimming.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2007, 1:39 pm

When I was younger I was called cool sometimes. In my case it's been used interchangeably with weird. One person I know now tells me I'm messed up all the time and I thought it was an insult, but I realize now that it's an expression she uses with everyone. I still don't completely understand it.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 2:51 pm

Da ladies say im cute n da lads say im quite funny cos i do come up wid strange ideas but it seems 2 work 4 some reason. 8)

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 4:16 pm

Lots of people I used to hang out with said I was "cool", and people online call me "cool" a lot, lol. The online ones would prob change their minds if they met me in RL XD lol. But most say so because I don't really tend to think of what others think about me personally (unless I'm "investigating" something as to how they think, lol).

I don't think I'm cool though-I consider myself a huge dork actually, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.

jfberge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 4:36 pm

I don't think I've ever been called cool, but I have been referred to as being "chill." Given that I'm the least excitable person I know, it makes sense. I was in a car crash once with a friend, and didn't say anything both as it happened and immediately after. I just kept sucking on my soda straw and used my other hand to brace for the impact.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 4:38 pm

Not in real life. At least not that I can remember.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 6:27 pm

I've been called "cool" quite often since middle school. Sometimes I just ignore it, not asking why, but other times I say outright, "No I'm not". I've never been called "cool" by anyone who I thought was really nice.