Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 4:35 pm

OK, I have a problem and just want to know the name for it and if anyone else has this problem. It's not treally a problem, just a bizarre daily experience. This usually happens on the bus.

When I'm on a bus or in a classroom and get sleepy, I'll try nodding off. But I can't really sleep on anything but a bed, so I just close my eyes and relax. But, after I feel like I've been relaxing for a very long time, I'll look at a clock (or out a window) to learn I've only been out for a few minutes. But while in this trance-like state, I can have vivid dreams that seem to last forever. Like today, for example. The day went by really fast, it was weird. But when I got on a my bus, I kind of fell asleep. I was in my trance. I could've sworn I was out for at least half an hour, but the bus had only just driven down the street. 8O What's going on?! And now that school has started again, all my ADD tendencies are back...could this be a new addition to my ADD?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 4:49 pm

it's when your brain waves are in alpha (7-14 cycles per second), sarcastic_name, and everyone does it. you're in beta state (14-30 cycles) when fully awake, theta (4-7) when drowsy or deeply relaxed, and delta (1-3) in deep, dreamless sleep.

just think - some people spend a fortune on drugs, meditation, trance stuff, and other ways of achieving this state/change of consciousness. really. and you get it for FREE! marvellous, innit?

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 4:53 pm

Don't know if it has anything to do with ADD (which I don't have), but I do that too. Like being asleep enough to have dreams, but with your mind set as a kind of alarm clock so that if something in the outside world needs action (like arriving at your bus stop) you can respond immediately. And unlike sleep, it doesn't involve a gap in consciousness. I assume it's just another form of zoning out and resting the mind.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 4:56 pm

vetivert wrote:
just think - some people spend a fortune on drugs, meditation, trance stuff, and other ways of achieving this state/change of consciousness. really. and you get it for FREE! marvellous, innit?

:lol: :lol: Gotta love that. Why bother with illegal drugs when you can induce your own alternate states of consciousness and natural highs at will?

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 4:58 pm

That happened to me in class the first three semesters of college quite often. Last semester it only happened a couple of times. I hate it when it does, I miss the lecture.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 5:08 pm

But how do you explain the fast passing of time in my trance world? In the real world five minutes go by, in the trance world it feels like half an hour at least. I could've of dreamt an entire Shakesperian play, and it'll only have been in a span of 5 minutes! :roll:

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 5:20 pm

In a spirit sort of way, we subconsiously don't
guage time, time is a I-Physical tool, not
subconscious tool!

Like Vetivert and Pyraxis said, it is a blessed
state that most try to achieve, but in autism
is a natural one. This is why psychic abilities
and autism go hand-and-hand.

Hmmmmm?
Sherlock-Ghosthunter...Lama-lama-poo!

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 6:35 pm

I found out I really talk in my sleep once. I was dreaming and I said something when I woke up.

Trace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2005, 12:11 am

I used to sit in Quaker meetings (services) at school and sometimes would sort of fall asleep sitting up eyes open. The long periods of silence helped. I was trying to teach myself this skill having read Beetle Baily cartoons and figuring it was possible. While I was trying to actually fall asleep, and eventually learned the skill, I think meditation is a different skill as the goal is to remain awake while shutting off the inner dialog.

A lot of people report that while long-distance driving they sort of go into a trance and find themselves much farther down the road than they figure they ought to be. This is evidently some kind of sleep where you can still operate a car but are otherwise sleeping. Scary

I also have sleep apnia which before treatment left me very sleepy all the time. I would fall asleep on the sofa for a moment and sometimes have a dream as you describe, seemingly long but in reality not.

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2005, 1:05 am

that happens to me often during the schoolyear when im generally lacking in sleep and have to wake up way earlier than i'd like. i'll doze off for a few minutes during class and it'll feel like hours have passed. pretty weird feeling! it happesn to me also if i wake up from a long long sleep and then stay in my bed... sometimes ill fall back asleep and have the long dream in a few mins experience.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 3:34 am

I could really use some information on this. Does anybody have any references. I space out soi much, that over the course of a day I can end up having several hours unaccounted for. I can induce it sometimes, but it also haoppens when I'm working on something that requires lots of thought or in stressful situations. It's been making it hard to go about my daily activities lately.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 3:47 am

does your medication have an effect on this, sean? if so, i don't know what to suggest.

however, as people train themselves to get INTO alpha, one can trainoneself to get out of it, to.

the way i teach people to do that is "earthing" or "grounding". it can be as simple as clapping your hands together, sharply, or stamping your feet. eating helps - one is more likely to go into alpha on an empty stomach. the phrase "snap out of it" can be taken literally here, i reckon. it needs to be a physical thing, so try stuff, and see what works for you.

helpful? ask me if you want any more information, although i'm not the Oracle, i'm afraid.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 3:50 am

vetivert wrote:
one is more likely to go into alpha on an empty stomach

Really? I often have to snap myself out of it right after a meal, but rarely before.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 3:52 am

i do get tired after a meal, i have to say, but that's to do with blood rushing to the stomach to aid digestion, so more likely to be theta rather than alpha, i imagine. ooooh - you've got me working things out here, pyraxis! thanks - i like a good think :D

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 5:53 am

I do the same in class... but it's like a form of accidental meditation in limbo.

I'm dreaming and i'm hearing what people are saying in the room at the same time, and what seems like a few seconds, I wake up and 15 minutes has gone.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 7:00 am

vetivert wrote:

I LOVE THIS STATEMENT!! !! !!

APPLAUSE!! !!

I have felt this way LONG before I ever learned about autism!! ! I even told my doctor once that my companion would have to dose up on hallucinogens before she could fully comprehend some things about me. He laughed. Some of the people that have called me insane over the years were ones who were heavy into illegal drugs. Now I just hope for the opportunity to one day say to one of them:

If I am insane, why do you spend so much money trying to be like me?

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.