Page 6 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 6:46 pm

snake321 wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
snake321 wrote:
people do not deserve the right to challenge the rights of other people.

Who sets up what we should consider rights in the first place? This just sounds like a dangerous claim for that reason alone.

It's simple, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Luke 6:31.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 6:49 pm

Karma.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2007, 6:50 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
spdjeanne wrote:
How do you comprehend how God could allow suffering?

How do you comprehend the idea of God?

I'm sure that even you comprehend an idea of God otherwise how could you say that you don't believe God exists.

I think what you probably mean to say is, "How do you comprehend the idea of God's existence?"

I freely admit that I have no proof of God's existence other than my own personal experiences. I think that it would be theologically problematic if God's existence could be proved.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 6:57 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
snake321 wrote:
It's simple, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

No it really isn't. People disagree with that and add or subtract various things from that simple statement, which leads to the question of how we prove one idea correct or incorrect. I argue that there is no method. If there is no method then there is no way to prove what is a right and what isn't.

if we gain more productivity or better results with one method then another, then the results would indicate that one works better, no?

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 7:02 pm

Karma police, arrest this man, he talks in mathes, he pulses like a fridge, he's like a dead-tuned radio.

Karma police, arrest this girl, her hitler-haido is making me feel ill and we have crashed her party.

This is what you get... when you mess with us.

Karma police i've given all i can, it's not enough, i've given all i can, but we're still on the payroll.

This is what you get... when you mess with us.

For a minute there i lost myself.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 7:06 pm

Instant Karma's out to get you,
gonna knock you right on the head.
Better get yourself together,
or your soon gonna be dead.

We all shine on......

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 8:01 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Well, I didn't claim that some religions were valid or invalid. Actually, I think that you ignore the strength of this argument because secular morality fails to make sense because morality is not a secular thing, in fact, there is no logical reason why a true morality must be seen as existing from a reductionist point of view. It just falls down to preference, morality in its nature requires a religious element, a faith in that which cannot be seen or proven and a deity of some form is a being that could theoretically provide morality because such beings cannot necessarily be logically defined as morality is not logical.

I understand that all things related to morality have their origin on religion, and I also understand and admit that most of our morality today have been influenced from christianity, (ie murder, adultery, false testimonies) The "golden rule": treating others as you wish to be treated, comes from the Bible, or at least this is where it has been referenced. However, moral and ethical values have changed and evolved with time, due to wars, social revolutions, scientific advances, etc.

A question I ask is, why secular morality is possible today, and not centuries ago, why does make sense to a lot of people today, and not before? As I understand, all societies had religions, deities and everything, therefore their moral values then were all religious, there was no such thing as secular moral, why it is different now?

Quote:
That does not prove anything about morality, that still focuses on preferences. I don't care what people think at all. People have many thoughts and there is nothing saying whether these thoughts are right or wrong, correct or incorrect.

This is where I fail to understand what kind of proof nihilists or moral skepticals would accept or expect from it. I mean, I understand that morality and ethics are not solid or palpable objects that you can touch, taste and smell, those are human constructs in which have been made wether it is based on religion or not, with the purpose of mantaining order and balance in societies, in order for humans to interact with others in a way that provides a harmony between them. I don't understand and it doesn't make sense to me why the belief of being non-existence and the lack of proof arguments. I know those are purely human concepts, they don't exist in the animal kingdom, you can't prove that they exist outside the planet, in the universe, either. Obviously is not something you can measure on a laboratory under a microscope.

Quote:
Whether they have right and wrong before religion has nothing to do with a philosophical derivation. Most people are idiots who take all things for granted, they take television for granted without knowing a darn thing about electricity or electromagnetic waves.

You must take some things for granted as well, or would your skepticism be just limited to moral values? For example, you and most people here most take for granted most of the concepts about autism and asperger's, or at least their existence, you could argue that those may not be real after all, are those people idiots for taking such things for granted, or if that's different, how so?

Quote:
Moral nihilism and skepticism both hold water. Relativism doesn't. My point is not to the level of comfort derived as nihilism and skepticism are both even MORE uncomfortable than relativism, but rather that as you state "The world is mostly amoral" which means that moral truth does not exist and it reflects the idea of moral nihilism, which I can respect.

I don't understand much those "philosophies" if you can call them that, which there is something I wonder is that, are those ideals practical? Can you make those philosophies in practice in real life, in any society? This is something that I don't fully understand, if you don't believe in anything moral and ethical than how this would apply in the real world?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 8:26 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Well, I didn't claim that some religions were valid or invalid. Actually, I think that you ignore the strength of this argument because secular morality fails to make sense because morality is not a secular thing, in fact, there is no logical reason why a true morality must be seen as existing from a reductionist point of view. It just falls down to preference, morality in its nature requires a religious element, a faith in that which cannot be seen or proven and a deity of some form is a being that could theoretically provide morality because such beings cannot necessarily be logically defined as morality is not logical.

But you don’t explain how a deistic morality addresses the problem of nihilism better than a secular morality. If admitting uncertainties is equivalent to nihilism, then your position is equally nihilistic as you cannot be certain either, unless you wish to be delusional. Can you at least admit that the two are on equal grounds?

Also, I don’t think most secular moral philosophies claim to be strictly reductionist. That’s a misinterpretation IMO. There will always be grey areas in any philosophy.

Quote:
Quote:
Before I was merely arguing that, at least in practical terms, the vast majority of people don’t derive their morality from their religion. They may look to religion as a philosophical foundation, but I don’t think that’s the same as deriving morality. Most people already have an idea of “right and wrong” before looking to religion.
That does not prove anything about morality, that still focuses on preferences. I don't care what people think at all. People have many thoughts and there is nothing saying whether these thoughts are right or wrong, correct or incorrect. Whether they have right and wrong before religion has nothing to do with a philosophical derivation. Most people are idiots who take all things for granted, they take television for granted without knowing a darn thing about electricity or electromagnetic waves.

We seem to be talking right past each other here. I wasn’t trying to prove anything philosophical there. I was just disagreeing with something I interpreted from you. You said that many people derive morality from religion. I was hoping you would clarify what you meant by “derive”. If you’re talking about philosophical deduction only then it was an honest misunderstanding on my part. I was thinking more in line with what causes people to think or behave morally. IMO moral behavior/thinking comes mostly from cultural conditioning and innate feelings. As you say, most people don’t think too deeply about things.

Quote:
But that is still based upon moral valuation. Your own theory of equality of interests goes back to a moral theory like egalitarianism, utilitarianism, Rawlsianism, or some such along those lines. There is nothing proving that these bases are correct or what people should aim for at all and this notion that they are neutral is false given that they are independent philosophies.

I wasn’t trying to say I have “The Truth” as you are looking for. It is impossible to prove that any system is “correct” since “correct” depends on what the ultimate goal of the system is. I was merely arguing about what I think works best to preserve a society and avoid conflict. Having laws that provide equal protection generally helps avoid conflict. That’s as far as I can go using pure logic. Saying conflict is bad or saying that people have innate rights are personal value judgments. However, these are values that most faiths have in common. They are not perfectly neutral, but they are more neutral than theocracy. Do you agree with that or not?

Quote:
Personal conviction may well be the same as authority. It comes from the authority of your personal conviction then. It still does not have a logical derivation but comes from nothing in essence.

Well, I don’t consider personal convection to be the same as authority. Authority is holding someone (or something) else’s personal conviction as infallible. I would never consider my own personal convictions to be infallible. I am always able to apply skepticism, doubt, and cane refine my values if needed. Religions usually hold their ideals to be infallible and thus become stubborn and rigid in the face of even seemingly trivial changes.

Quote:
Moral nihilism and skepticism both hold water. Relativism doesn't. My point is not to the level of comfort derived as nihilism and skepticism are both even MORE uncomfortable than relativism, but rather that as you state "The world is mostly amoral" which means that moral truth does not exist and it reflects the idea of moral nihilism, which I can respect.

It isn’t complete nihilism though. The fact that the world is mostly amoral doesn’t persuade me to give up all hope. I just can’t rely on a deity who designed a mostly amoral world to tell me what is moral and what isn’t.

Quote:
Yes, but this goes back to definitions. People don't have morality from my view; it is by nature a universal construct that exists or doesn't. People have behavior though, and behavior does not have any connection or anything to do with morality, other than one happens to be the "is" and the other happens to be the "ought". We can only examine behavior as morality is this concept that cannot be observed and that ultimately can only be derived from some faith in something outside of pure materialism.

My personal view is closer to humanism. I don’t think morality exists “out there” as some divine abstract thing. I don’t think there is any way to separate morality from human thought or behavior. Your definition of morality doesn’t exist to me. I used to have your view, but I couldn’t retain it.

A lot of your arguments style reminds me of a game that kids like me used to play with adults in order to annoy them. Anything someone says you can always question it and ask “why”, and you can continue doing this until the person either has no answer, runs in a circle, or contradicts themselves. Skepticism is fine, but it isn’t a fair argument when it is applied to everything except your own personal beliefs. That’s special pleading.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 8:32 pm

Quote:
From a reductionist view, perhaps there is no reason for morality or ethics. But from the standpoint of cybernetics and systems science, morality and ethics do make sense. And the basic rules of conduct that consistently appear in culture after culture can be proven using game theory. It isn't supernatural, it is a natural of group dynamics.

:) Yes. That was what I was trying to argue but I didn't have the correct lingo as I haven't studied those things. I can see how ethics developed from an analytical viewpoint in terms of societies.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 8:56 pm

marshall wrote:
My personal view is closer to humanism.

Mine as well.

Quote:
A lot of your arguments style reminds me of a game that kids like me used to play with adults in order to annoy them. Anything someone says you can always question it and ask “why”, and you can continue doing this until the person either has no answer, runs in a circle, or contradicts themselves. Skepticism is fine, but it isn’t a fair argument when it is applied to everything except your own personal beliefs. That’s special pleading.

Very likely seems to be the case,
and it seems to be debunker rather than just skepticism, actually.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:02 am

monty wrote:
I either don't see your distinctions, or I disagree. For example, in the prisoner's dilemma, it does state that it is in the best interest of a prisoner to squeal on the other guy - that they should confess, and the sooner, the better. In tit-for-tat, a pattern of conduct is established that both discourages the predatory aggression of others, while throttling escalation of aggression that might arise from misunderstood action. While this game theory equivalent of 'an-eye-for-an-eye' morality is not perfect in controlling all violence, it can be shown to be better than the alternatives.

Well, that is because you are not recognizing that I am speaking of a philosophical construct and idea. Not of human action. I am speaking of right and wrong, not of benefit or harm. I know about game theory! It has absolutely nothing to do with philosophy though other than the fact that it is a logical construct to help us understand human behavior.
Quote:
Where culture and/or biology favors a prohibition of murder and theft, that society becomes more vigorous (less time spent on defensive/non-productive activity and destructive activity). As individuals are caught violating the taboos against murder and theft, they are killed off, exiled, or incarcerated where they are less successful at reproducing. Which reinforces the rules against murder and theft.

But that is not what I am speaking about. You are not understanding my distinction. You can't disagree with my distinction because that is like saying that you disagree with the existence of a theory that a deity may exist, you may disagree with its truth, but you can't say that there is no theistic theory. I am not talking about biology though, I am talking about an abstract "ought"ness.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:05 am

spdjeanne wrote:
I'm sure that even you comprehend an idea of God otherwise how could you say that you don't believe God exists.

No, that doesn't mean anything. I can say that I don't believe that mathematical impossibilities exist, but that does not mean I understand how one would work.
Quote:
I think what you probably mean to say is, "How do you comprehend the idea of God's existence?"

No, I literally mean God. How do you comprehend a deity that is bigger than you are? Whether he exists or not is irrelevant, the idea of a deity who came from nothing, holds all truth and wisdom, and who sets up moral order is astounding and the purposes in doing so is by far unknown and unknowable. I don't think that such a being can be truly comprehended.
Quote:
I freely admit that I have no proof of God's existence other than my own personal experiences. I think that it would be theologically problematic if God's existence could be proved.

I am not asking for a proof or disproof. Do you comprehend God though? Or do you merely accept his existence?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:06 am

greenblue wrote:
if we gain more productivity or better results with one method then another, then the results would indicate that one works better, no?

You are assuming a morality to prove morality. Who defines productive? If we define it in terms of widgets then we just beat people until more and more widgets are produced. I mean, even productivity is a loaded term in some ways.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:14 am

greenblue wrote:
However, moral and ethical values have changed and evolved with time, due to wars, social revolutions, scientific advances, etc.
Culture has changed, but that isn't what I am talking about.
Quote:
A question I ask is, why secular morality is possible today, and not centuries ago, why does make sense to a lot of people today, and not before? As I understand, all societies had religions, deities and everything, therefore their moral values then were all religious, there was no such thing as secular moral, why it is different now?
It isn't, secular actions that are orderly and organized are so, and these actions do fall into a category we know as ethical but nothing says that they have anything to do with an abstract moral truth. You are merely addressing culture, not philosophy. Culturally, any idea is possible, even logically contradictory ones.

Quote:
This is where I fail to understand what kind of proof nihilists or moral skepticals would accept or expect from it. I mean, I understand that morality and ethics are not solid or palpable objects that you can touch, taste and smell, those are human constructs in which have been made wether it is based on religion or not, with the purpose of mantaining order and balance in societies, in order for humans to interact with others in a way that provides a harmony between them. I don't understand and it doesn't make sense to me why the belief of being non-existence and the lack of proof arguments. I know those are purely human concepts, they don't exist in the animal kingdom, you can't prove that they exist outside the planet, in the universe, either. Obviously is not something you can measure on a laboratory under a microscope.

You can't prove it but you still stand by it, and that is the problem. They aren't solid or palpable objects, so why claim that they actually exist in the first place? Eating using silverware is also a cultural construct, why do we separate it from others such as sexual acts? I don't mean from the biological perspective but rather what makes it so philosophically different. Maintaining order is a behavioral problem, not a moral one.

Quote:
You must take some things for granted as well, or would your skepticism be just limited to moral values? For example, you and most people here most take for granted most of the concepts about autism and asperger's, or at least their existence, you could argue that those may not be real after all, are those people idiots for taking such things for granted, or if that's different, how so?

No, not necessarily at all. Autism and asperger's are merely categories of human beings. They are not different realities so much as distinctions within this one, sort of like how we distinguish electrons and protons. One may argue that these distinctions are valid or invalid, but either way there is no real difference to our world.

Quote:
I don't understand much those "philosophies" if you can call them that, which there is something I wonder is that, are those ideals practical? Can you make those philosophies in practice in real life, in any society? This is something that I don't fully understand, if you don't believe in anything moral and ethical than how this would apply in the real world?

Ideals? No, these aren't ideals. These are theories on how the world IS! What is there to practice with a flat or a round world? If you don't believe in moral truth of some form then you don't live one, and the consequences of no moral valuation can be quite dire, but it is the logical conclusion from it... most people aren't logical but they lie and say they are.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:25 am

marshall wrote:
But you don’t explain how a deistic morality addresses the problem of nihilism better than a secular morality. If admitting uncertainties is equivalent to nihilism, then your position is equally nihilistic as you cannot be certain either, unless you wish to be delusional. Can you at least admit that the two are on equal grounds?
No. I cannot because they ARE NOT. Deistic morality is based upon a deity with the power to impose deistic morality. Secular morality comes ex nihilo, which doesn't make sense at all. If we have an ex nihilo morality then why not claim we have this non-interventionist ex nihilo deity who has the power to set it up as a morality from nothing makes no sense, it is fundamentally detached from any notion of higher truth.
Quote:
Also, I don’t think most secular moral philosophies claim to be strictly reductionist. That’s a misinterpretation IMO. There will always be grey areas in any philosophy.
Perhaps not, but they still don't explain where this morality comes from. It is always ex nihilo, which for something purely a concept seems inexcusable.

Quote:
We seem to be talking right past each other here. I wasn’t trying to prove anything philosophical there. I was just disagreeing with something I interpreted from you. You said that many people derive morality from religion. I was hoping you would clarify what you meant by “derive”. If you’re talking about philosophical deduction only then it was an honest misunderstanding on my part. I was thinking more in line with what causes people to think or behave morally. IMO moral behavior/thinking comes mostly from cultural conditioning and innate feelings. As you say, most people don’t think too deeply about things.
Right, they don't. I am concerned with the philosophy because the actuality is just simply a matter of sociology, psychology, economics, biology and etc.

Quote:
I wasn’t trying to say I have “The Truth” as you are looking for. It is impossible to prove that any system is “correct” since “correct” depends on what the ultimate goal of the system is. I was merely arguing about what I think works best to preserve a society and avoid conflict. Having laws that provide equal protection generally helps avoid conflict. That’s as far as I can go using pure logic. Saying conflict is bad or saying that people have innate rights are personal value judgments. However, these are values that most faiths have in common. They are not perfectly neutral, but they are more neutral than theocracy. Do you agree with that or not?

No, I don't think that anything can necessarily be more or less neutral. Where does this neutrality come from? I mean, I don't think that Christianity for example really has innate rights and it places morality as a believer's task, not necessarily onto merely restraining the actions of non-believers.

Quote:
Well, I don’t consider personal convection to be the same as authority. Authority is holding someone (or something) else’s personal conviction as infallible. I would never consider my own personal convictions to be infallible. I am always able to apply skepticism, doubt, and cane refine my values if needed. Religions usually hold their ideals to be infallible and thus become stubborn and rigid in the face of even seemingly trivial changes.

I don't see the difference between my own and someone else's personal conviction in terms of validity. Refining really depends on what we speak of.

Quote:
It isn’t complete nihilism though. The fact that the world is mostly amoral doesn’t persuade me to give up all hope. I just can’t rely on a deity who designed a mostly amoral world to tell me what is moral and what isn’t.

Meh, you can never really even challenge a deity in terms of logic anyway. It is like an ant calling a person a fool, the gap would have to be by nature astounding.

Quote:
My personal view is closer to humanism. I don’t think morality exists “out there” as some divine abstract thing. I don’t think there is any way to separate morality from human thought or behavior. Your definition of morality doesn’t exist to me. I used to have your view, but I couldn’t retain it.

I don't think that what you describe actually has much to do with morality. I don't see this as a matter of retaining definitions but rather of consistency. Definitions don't have to change when frameworks change, as there is no reason to lose the ability to think in that framework.
Quote:

Have I ever argued my personal beliefs? I have not even stated my personal beliefs, nor do I really care to. My entire position is just skepticism against whatever beliefs exist other than my nihilism-objectivism dichotomy in moral theory.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 5:58 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
marshall wrote:
…Can you at least admit that the two are on equal grounds?
No. I cannot because they ARE NOT. Deistic morality is based upon a deity with the power to impose deistic morality. Secular morality comes ex nihilo, which doesn't make sense at all. If we have an ex nihilo morality then why not claim we have this non-interventionist ex nihilo deity who has the power to set it up as a morality from nothing makes no sense, it is fundamentally detached from any notion of higher truth.

You’re special pleading again. If you wish to emphatically claim that one is better than the other, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. You can’t attack secular morality with skepticism without leaving yourself open to the exact same attack. I can equally claim that morals given by a deity are arbitrary and meaningless. How do you KNOW your deity’s morals are correct? Because the deity says so? Because the deity created the universe? Well then the deity must have created both good and evil. How do you know the deity prefers good over evil? Why not have a deity that prefers evil?

Quote:
Perhaps not, but they still don't explain where this morality comes from. It is always ex nihilo, which for something purely a concept seems inexcusable.

It isn’t any more ex nihilo than anything else. It comes from human thought. If you argue that morality must be independent of human thought than I can argue that it must be independent of a deity.

Quote:
Quote:
They are not perfectly neutral, but they are more neutral than theocracy. Do you agree with that or not?

No, I don't think that anything can necessarily be more or less neutral. Where does this neutrality come from? I mean, I don't think that Christianity for example really has innate rights and it places morality as a believer's task, not necessarily onto merely restraining the actions of non-believers.

It’s more neutral because it’s a more common subset. It has rules that most people can agree on. A lot of it is a subset of Judeo-Christian values. It’s also a subset of values from other religions.

Quote:
Quote:
I just can’t rely on a deity who designed a mostly amoral world to tell me what is moral and what isn’t.

Meh, you can never really even challenge a deity in terms of logic anyway. It is like an ant calling a person a fool, the gap would have to be by nature astounding.

Well that’s very convenient.

You’re going to say this is all irrelevant, but f*** it. I have to look at things in a practical light when people’s beliefs put the human race in danger of self annihilation.

The problem is many humans THINK God wants them to do things like kill the nonbelievers. At this point it doesn’t matter what the deity actually wants. To them it’s a moral duty to kill the unbelievers. If masses of people believe a deity wants them to commit genocide they will do it without question. Who are they to question their god’s morality?

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think that what you describe actually has much to do with morality. I don't see this as a matter of retaining definitions but rather of consistency. Definitions don't have to change when frameworks change, as there is no reason to lose the ability to think in that framework.

Then I’ll use the term “ethics” rather than morality.

Quote:
Have I ever argued my personal beliefs? I have not even stated my personal beliefs, nor do I really care to. My entire position is just skepticism against whatever beliefs exist other than my nihilism-objectivism dichotomy in moral theory.

But you do argue on the side of objectivism. But what do you base the objectivism on? I don’t get how invoking a deity automatically makes something objective. I can just keep asking “why” and “how” until you eventually can’t provide a reason. Then I can dismiss your objectivism as no better than nihilism. That’s exactly what you do to any argument for non-theistic morality.