Page 1 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 7:10 pm

How does each school of thought handle failure?

Liberalism philosophy:

Step 1: It's someone else's fault that I failed! :x

Conservatism philosophy:

Step 1: I failed.

Liberalism philosophy:

Step 2: I will get back at them for making me fail! :x

Conservatism philosophy:

Step 2: I'll try harder next time.

Liberalism philosophy:

Step 3: I'm the victim! :(

Conservatism philosophy:

Step 3: Looks like I'm doing better this time.

Liberalism philosophy:

Step 4: WAAAAAAAAAAA!! !

Conservatism philosophy:

Step 4: Victory. :) Looks like trying harder pays off!

It's amazing how far taking personal responsibility can move one toward success.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Nov 2007, 7:49 pm

step 1. nobody cares

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 7:57 pm

Hmmmmmmmmm....... I don't agree with this Ragtime. I think there is more to both sides than this simple labelling. A liberal is just as much an existentialist as a conservative; and a conservative is likened to a freudian as much as a "far lefty". The grey areas in between are being "white-washed" in my opinion. You "spinned" this thread like Fox "spins" their news. LOL

monty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 8:08 pm

There have been a number of psychological studies that show that there are general cognitive differences between conservatives and liberals.

Conservatives can't handle nuances and subtle variations of grey - everything has to be black and white.

Conservatives can't see racism, sexism, ageism, ableism or other systematic impediments to many individuals.

Conservatives long for an idealized past when things were simpler and purer, even though such past never existed.

Quote:
Four researchers who culled through 50 years of research literature about the psychology of conservatism report that at the core of political conservatism is the resistance to change and a tolerance for inequality, and that some of the common psychological factors linked to political conservatism include:

* Fear and aggression
* Dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity
* Uncertainty avoidance
* Need for cognitive closure
* Terror management

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/rele ... tics.shtml

And liberals are more optomistic (less whiney) than conservatives would have us believe according to most studies.

Looks like you are doubly scrooged when it comes to music and politics, Ragtime:

Quote:
Most people are surprised to learn that there are real, stable differences in personality between conservatives and liberals—not just different views or values, but underlying differences in temperament. Psychologists John Jost of New York University, Dana Carney of Harvard, and Sam Gosling of the University of Texas have demonstrated that conservatives and liberals boast markedly different home and office decor. Liberals are messier than conservatives, their rooms have more clutter and more color, and they tend to have more travel documents, maps of other countries, and flags from around the world. Conservatives are neater, and their rooms are cleaner, better organized, more brightly lit, and more conventional. Liberals have more books, and their books cover a greater variety of topics. And that's just a start. Multiple studies find that liberals are more optimistic. Conservatives are more likely to be religious. Liberals are more likely to like classical music and jazz, conservatives, country music. Liberals are more likely to enjoy abstract art. Conservative men are more likely than liberal men to prefer conventional forms of entertainment like TV and talk radio. Liberal men like romantic comedies more than conservative men. Liberal women are more likely than conservative women to enjoy books, poetry, writing in a diary, acting, and playing musical instruments.

Conservatives don't want to hear that minority jazz piano rinky-tink noise, and fewer conservative women play instruments. Maybe Scott Joplin can learn the boot-scooting-boogie?

Also, religion seems to be inversely related to a stable marriage. Liberals in the northeast US are least likely to get divorced, while conservatives from the southeast US are most likely to get divorced. Maybe having Wart Gingrich as a role model contributes to this, or maybe he is just a symptom of the malaise.

What is my secret for achieving a good deal in spite of being liberal? Maps. Lots of books. And the firm belief that a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 9:12 pm

Quote:
liberals are more optomistic

yes let the criminals out of jail, they won't do nothing wrong.

the nuts in the middle east just want to be left alone

spend taxpayer money like it will never end, everything will be just fine

yes low IQ Johnnie can do better in school and become a doctor if enough money is spent on his education

gun control will stop murder

liberals are blasted idiots !

monty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 10:52 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Quote:
liberals are more optomistic

yes let the criminals out of jail, they won't do nothing wrong.

The prison population has expanded 7x in the last 30 years, and crime levels haven't changed. Maybe we can throw more money down that hole? Violent criminals? Lock them up. Long-hairs and cancer patients that use pot? Let em go. Meth-heads? Send them to treatment.

Quote:
the nuts in the middle east just want to be left alone

Some of the nuts should be left alone. Al Qaeda should be dealt with because of what they did on 9/11. But Bush decided to hold back and not hit Al Qaeda with everything because he had other plans for other countries. So Osama is still free. Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, wasn't a threat to the US, yet we are now involved in a war in Iraq that will cost a few trillion dollars. By converting Iraq to a Shiite country, we shifted the balance of power towards Iran. Over 3000 Americans killed over there, tens of thousands more with casualties and PTSD, depression, breaking up their families due to the extended tours. That's conservatism for you: SNAFU.

Quote:
spend taxpayer money like it will never end, everything will be just fine

See the previous two points. Clinton brought us to a balanced budget. Bush has done more to destroy the Dollar than Osama could have ever dreamed of.

Quote:
yes low IQ Johnnie can do better in school and become a doctor if enough money is spent on his education

You stumped me on that one. Since your user name is Johnnie, am I to assume that you have a low IQ? Ok. And that you don't want an education system that lets you develop to your potential, whatever that may be? Education and training can be expensive, but it is cheaper than the alternative.

Quote:
gun control will stop murder

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills people. And we know Chuck is a conservative.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 12:40 am

monty wrote:
Conservatives can't handle nuances and subtle variations of grey - everything has to be black and white.
Quote:
* Dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity
* Uncertainty avoidance

I agree with this.

Quote:
Conservatives can't see racism, sexism, ageism, ableism or other systematic impediments to many individuals.

Conservatives long for an idealized past when things were simpler and purer, even though such past never existed.

Pretty much.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 12:42 am

Ragtime wrote:
How does each school of thought handle failure?

Well, I guess we all know what is your personal opinion about liberals.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 3:38 am

if you hadnt stipulated "liberalism" and "conservatism".... i would have NO IDEA what philosophies you were referring to. i still dont really see a correlation.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 4:23 am

Quote:
Clinton brought us to a balanced budget. Bush has done more to destroy the Dollar than Osama could have ever dreamed of.

ImageImageImage

Lap up some more of the CNN love clintoon propoganda

ImageImageImage

monty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 8:29 am

Johnnie wrote:
Quote:
Clinton brought us to a balanced budget. Bush has done more to destroy the Dollar than Osama could have ever dreamed of.

It's not merely an opinion. It is a fact that has been recognized by financial news sites like the Wall Street Journal, The Economist, and others. The annual deficit was eliminated in the second Clinton term and the US was paying off its debt ahead of schedule. Now we are back to huge deficits, the largest in our history by some measures. And 40% of the value of your dollars has disappeared in the last two years. Is that from liberal bias, or from 'conservative' policies of increasing spending while cutting taxes?

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 9:21 am

Johnnie, you wouldn't be one of Ragweed's sockpuppets here to spread the word about how much better off the ol' US is under the conservative republican right-wing would you? If so, then maybe you should go and get one of those educations that you freely bag so much and actually learn something. from where I sit, which is thankfully 5000 miles from your little 'Utopia', your country could do with a real wake-up call on just about everything from the gun lobby to the invasion of sovereign nations in the name of 'wiping out terrorism. You may call me a 'liberal', but over here that term belongs to the same conservative right-wing lot that you seem so happy to defend. Oh, and BTW (this includes you as well, Ragdoll) did either of yopu vote in the last election? If not, why not? Some of you say 'freedom of choice'; but if you don't actually make your voice heard at the ballot box, then as far as I'm concerned, you don't have the right to complain if things don't go your way. We are having an election her on the 24th, and even though it's compulsory for anyone on the roll to vote, I will freely be doing so because it's my duty and my obligation to see that my vote goes to the party I want elected. Rather that than have apathetic people complaining because they didn't get off their bums and have their say.

BTW, Raggy, why do you have to have these periodical rants? Seems like your moniker would be more appropriate for feminine hygeine.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 9:36 am

That above is funny, chosen one!!

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 10:10 am

monty wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
Quote:

It's not merely an opinion. It is a fact that has been recognized by financial news sites like the Wall Street Journal, The Economist, and others. The annual deficit was eliminated in the second Clinton term and the US was paying off its debt ahead of schedule. Now we are back to huge deficits, the largest in our history by some measures. And 40% of the value of your dollars has disappeared in the last two years. Is that from liberal bias, or from 'conservative' policies of increasing spending while cutting taxes?

The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, and others must be getting their news from somewhere.

And, where would that be?

Why, obviously they have themselves been misinformed by CNN, which is the propaganda mouthpeace of the Clintoons.

Anything bad that is happening in the world today is as a direct result of Bill Clinton's presidency. And, anything that doesn't look bad is as a direct result of George Bush and Ronald Reagan.

The 40% drop in the value of my dollars, and the present huge deficits, have nothing to do with the conservative policies of increasing spending while cutting taxes. That is simply liberal misinformation which originates from CNN.

This all happened because of Clinton's policies of balanced budgets. If Clinton had been following a good Conservative program of increased spending with reduced taxes, then the percent increase in the debt, and the percent drop in the value of the dollar, from Clinton's term to now, wouldn't appear to be as bad as they are now. It is entirely Clinton's fault for making conservatism look bad.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 10:43 am

monty wrote:
There have been a number of psychological studies that show that there are general cognitive differences between conservatives and liberals.

Hmmm, that's interesting, because I just finished answering a pm about my morals, and I explained to the person that I have my own moral hierarchy. Even Jesus referred to the "greater sin" of two sins (John 19:11), proving moral gradation, and also to the "greater damnation" (Matt 23:14; Mark 12:40; Luke 20:47). There are also several levels of Hell for the successive degrees of wickedness a person commits. Likewise, every person who goes to Heaven has a different amount of "rewards" based on their good works on Earth. Good works don't get you into Heaven, but they give you added rewards when you get there.

So, Jesus showed that, although sin is still sin, not all sins are equally in degree of wickedness. If you tell a fib, you won't be sharing a room with Hitler for eternity for that. Remember, God is a just God. Therefore, He knows the difference between telling a fib and committing the Holocaust.

Same goes for good works. Jesus referred to the widow who dropped her last few coins into the temple collection box. He said she had given more than those rich folk who gave much, much more in physical quantity, because she gave all she had, out of extreme sacrifice. His considering this to be noteworthy indicates that her gifts in Heaven will be great.

I constantly think in terms of grey, and am as conservative as they come, so your "studies" are clearly bunk.

If you're a mass-murder who, nonetheless, pay his bills on time, you've got your moral hierarchy upside-down.

Last edited by Ragtime on 21 Nov 2007, 10:53 am, edited 8 times in total.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 10:46 am

Yours would be more beige than grey, Raggy, and your bunk would be the lower one, probably steerage.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.