Why You Should Consider Becoming A Christian

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 2:48 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
the old 'Liberal vs Conservative' argument is outmoded and out dated. Besides the opposite of Liberal is AUTHORITARIANISM, not 'Conservative'.

You forgot to include the link to http://www.politicalcompass.org/, which you gave in your thread on that subject.

There can be correlation between right/left and libertarian/authoritarian, but they depend on the country. In the US, people with authoritarian tendencies tend to be right wing, but in Russia they tend to vote communist. I don't know how strong the correlations are.

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2007, 5:25 pm

I agree with your analysis of the left vs right arguement as being out dated sinsboldly. I don't even see political divieds as a line but or an arch as the further left/liberal or right/conservative you go they start getting pretty simular and equally crazy in my opinion. Of course I am a moderate so that might have an effect on my views.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 5:53 pm

Gromit wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
the old 'Liberal vs Conservative' argument is outmoded and out dated. Besides the opposite of Liberal is AUTHORITARIANISM, not 'Conservative'.

You forgot to include the link to http://www.politicalcompass.org/, which you gave in your thread on that subject.

There can be correlation between right/left and libertarian/authoritarian, but they depend on the country. In the US, people with authoritarian tendencies tend to be right wing, but in Russia they tend to vote communist. I don't know how strong the correlations are.

Grommit!
I have posted Political Compass three times on this chatter, and sorta thought it was a known thing I did since I am forever harping on it. Sorry, I am usually a stickler for stuff like that, too.

Let me credit Ayn Rand who says that "Fascism is the dictatorship of the Rich and Communism is the dictatorship of the masses. Either way is dictatorship."

Merle

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 5:56 pm

militarybrat wrote:
I agree with your analysis of the left vs right arguement as being out dated sinsboldly. I don't even see political divieds as a line but or an arch as the further left/liberal or right/conservative you go they start getting pretty simular and equally crazy in my opinion. Of course I am a moderate so that might have an effect on my views.

I see that 'arch' as an actual horseshoe shape, with the moderate being the opposite of BOTH ends of the liberal/authoritarian side.

so you get both right wingers and left wingers in opposition not to each other so much, but to the moderate base.

Merle

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Nov 2007, 8:05 pm

christianity started after jesus. jesus wanst about a pirticular religion so i dont identify myself with such, i do think jesus was god but i have questions

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 8:11 pm

militarybrat wrote:
greenblue wrote "Chuchulainn wrote:
Some jerks will claim to be Christians, but aren't. These people serve as Satan's tools to turn you against the faith.
You mean conservative christians?"

Why does everything have to be conservative or liberal. There are good and bad people on both sides. Jerks are everywhere dispite political or religious affiliation or any other factor.

That was actually sarcasm, considering a few conservative christians here, which it seems they might see everything as either conservative or liberal, according to some posts, and I agree with you.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 8:18 pm

greenblue wrote:
militarybrat wrote:
greenblue wrote "Chuchulainn wrote:
Some jerks will claim to be Christians, but aren't. These people serve as Satan's tools to turn you against the faith.
You mean conservative christians?"

Why does everything have to be conservative or liberal. There are good and bad people on both sides. Jerks are everywhere dispite political or religious affiliation or any other factor.

That was actually sarcasm, considering a few conservative christians here, which it seems they might see everything as either conservative or liberal, according to some posts, and I agree with you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_KnHgVZTwY[/youtube]

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 8:47 pm

richardbenson wrote:
christianity started after jesus. jesus wanst about a pirticular religion so i dont identify myself with such, i do think jesus was god but i have questions

actually Messiah cults started long before Jesus. Jesus is just the current idol.

Merle

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Nov 2007, 9:10 pm

thats alright. but jesus was the first to be cucified by the romans, with all the historical documentry. what other person was killed like jesus, with all of his historical facts

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 11:26 pm

richardbenson wrote:
thats alright. but jesus was the first to be cucified by the romans, with all the historical documentry. what other person was killed like jesus, with all of his historical facts

The Persians, Seleucids, Carthaginians, and Romans all used crucifixion as a method of execution. In crucifixion, the condemned was affixed to two crossed wooden beams, one of which was stuck in the ground. The arms were either nailed or tied to the crossbeam about 9-12 feet above ground. Jesus was killed using crucifixion, but he was hardly the only victim of it. The 6,000 captured at the end of the revolt of Spartacus were all crucified by the Romans along the Appian Way, and in 519 B.C. Darius of Persia crucified 3000 political opponents. The Carthaginians sometimes crucified their own unsuccessful generals.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Nov 2007, 11:34 pm

thats fine. but what person figure like jesus, was cucified?

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 9:52 am

17th I believe, Merle. In a span of 10,000 years. Includes Buddha, Crishna and some Egyptian annointed ones. Jesus just happened to be the flavour of the month, and if you listen to the jews of the period, not a very good flavour either, considering they rejected him as messiah.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:05 am

What makes Jesus special is that He fulfilled the Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament, His miracles, and that He is the Son of God and not merely a prophet or philosopher. His resurrection is fairly unique and how his disciples gave up their lives for Him both through living the way He taught and in their executions.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:16 am

Which Messianic prophecies?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:19 am

Would you like a list? I could just say to read the Gospels yourself because they're quoted all throughout in them.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:46 am

Don't bother. Whatever he did Buddha and the others beat him to it. And yes, if you want to talk ressurection, which is not totally proven, the others probably did that too in some for. Hey, maybe the characterisation on South Park is closer to the real Jesus than the one in the bible.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.