Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 1:12 pm

Just needing to rant with someone who may understand and not critize and what not. Basically I took college speech class last term and recently found out that I got a C-, my grades were already struggling this year and I thought I could get all Bs last term and then I found out that I got this grade and at first it made no sense because all my speeches were good (even the teacher agreed) and the only thing she ever took points off for were a few on quizzes and aspie things (and all my speeches (besides for 2) in that class were on it in some way or another, including a public one which sorta sucked) but then I got mad because I didnt really stand a chance if all my speeches were good. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 1:15 pm

I had a speech professor who was very strict about time limits and would dock 1% for every two seconds overtime. He would sit in the audience and give hand signals so that we knew when we were about to run out of time, but I was too overloaded to see them. I nearly failed the class, and I was a straight-A student.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 1:16 pm

Oh also I forgot to mention if it proves anything when I was in high school speech and speech content actually mattered I got an A+ (with a teacher everyone hates.) And my last 3 years of high school I was on the speech team (and was a fairly good.) And last year I was on the mock trial team and did pretty good.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 1:46 pm

I was forced to take a debate class in my senior year in high school. We were forced to partner up (I got a newbie freshman-- though we were both new to the school) and then do our research on the given topic for the semester so that the better research we did, the stronger our debates would be at the different meets around the city.

Well, as so often happens, I did all the work. And we competed for awhile (doing miserably because I am not a good debater) and then I had a period when I was out of school and my partner had to get a temporary partner so that the competitions could continue. Well, they used all my research and started winning. When I came back to school, I was informed by the teacher that I would sit out the rest of the semester because my partner and her "temp" were soooo successful (with all my hard work) that the teacher couldn't bare to break up such a wonderful team.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 3:48 pm

Yes, always got marked off for monotone! Speech was the only grade lower than a B I got when getting my first degree. Sadly that has change for this degree and I have a few Cs and got a B in speech.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 4:32 pm

I would have taken speech in my four years of high school, but my school district is cash-poor and does not offer it. It is a shame because I really needed it.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2005, 10:44 pm

Last year in English I had to deliver a speech, and I was pretty good at acting out the body language and inflecting my voice (I kept picturing that I was one of those politicians), while having trouble in an oral French exam because I never looked at my partner. (Thankfully, the teacher was understanding and did not count such things against me.)

Still, I do far better if I am speaking to a large group of people (it is much easier for me to use eye contact in such situations as well as to not get stage fright). Of course, it probably helped that my speech was memorized, which the teacher discouraged doing because she thought it would cause more monotone lack of inflections, but since I'd memorized my inflections ahead of time, that didn't pose a problem.

Debate is a tougher thing, of course, but I know what it's like to end up doing all the work without getting any credit (my first five-and-a-half years of school group work). It's never easy and always frustrating.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat