Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2007, 2:32 pm

Does a Thanskgiving dinner of a plate of shrimp and deli sandwich circles disappoint you for Thanksgiving? My mom expected us to be there 6:00 for our dinner, with her children and their families.. We had eaten lunch at my in-laws and had a wonderful traditional dinner.. The kids were disappointed, and I am a bit disappointed that my mom did not put forth enough effort for this special occasion....Next year, I am bringing along a turkey, since she seems to think we just want to snack.....I believe it is a tradition to make all the fixins,seat along your loved ones and make it memorable.......am I wrong to feel this way?

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2007, 2:39 pm

Thanksgiving is an excuse for me to spend 30 hours making a turkey the way I like to eat it. The family and the other foods can go to hell :) I would not leave the turkey up to anyone else.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 2:39 pm

I can't say that the traditional Thanksgiving dinner is what makes it memorable. The people do.

One year, my brother and I decided to make turkey pizzas for the family. We were still teenagers then. It was a memorable Thanksgiving. The pizzas tasted great.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 5:01 pm

We always had a Thanksgiving lunch at my in laws then went to my parents afterwords and had a traditional thanksgiving meal. Did the same with Christmas. But when we got our own house and I had room to have Christmas here my mom got mad that it was at lunch. Well the reason my in laws always did the meals at lunch was to free everyone up to go visit other relatives so noone had to miss out or rotate the holidays to accomodate other relatives. Well my mom said "I don't want to eat that early, you always have to do what they want." Actually she never complained untill I had Christmas meal at a time she didn't want it at. Then she said, "I want to eat at 2:00". And I told her I'm not doing it at that time, that they always accomodated me, I'm going to do the same for them". Then she complained that I always missed the thankgiving meal, well at the time I worked at the group home, and I didn't get off till 2:30, I either worked Thanksgiving or I worked Christmas. I picked Thanksgiving. So by the time I made it to my mom's house the meal was already eaten. So I just got leftovers. I finally said to her, "Do you want us to rotate the holidays? One year here, one year at your house?" She would not answer. And she cried to my sisters and her firends..."All I want is a holiday meal with my daughter." But now, she makes darn sure the meals are at 2:00, never later, so I miss them. She needs to realise that she dosn't need to compete with my in laws.....sigh...can't please everyone.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2007, 5:10 pm

So true, so true, it is hard to accomodate all parties involved... When we were growing up, Thanksgiving was very special.. then they divorced and it became an awkward time for everyone.. I had my in-laws, my mom never invited her kids, she even got mad that she did ironing on thanksgiving, while we had our dinners at the in-laws..about 3 yrs. ago she asked us all if we would like to have it at her place, and each of us would bring a dish...my dad( they still get along fine for us kids) would bring the turkey, but he could not make it this time...so all in all. I am understanding more of the stresses of divorces, long-distance families getting together, and what some see dinner time as.....thank you all for your input..I bought a turkey and plan to cook it Saturday, cause I love turkey!!:)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 5:18 pm

I was afraid we weren't going to have a Thanksgiving dinner this year because my dad almost didn't get paid in time. But he did, so we had a nice dinner. Somehow it didn't feel as magical as some of the other Thanksgivings I've had, though...

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Nov 2007, 5:46 pm

I hate the holidays. My husband makes it all about his kids and so they usually manage to muck it up somehow. He always plans our lives around the 5 minutes that his children allocate to us.

I was so happy this year when they both told him that they were going to their boyfriends' parents houses for lunch and their mother's for dinner! I didn't have to be subjected to them and I didn't have to cook! BONUS!

I got to spend the morning with a friend that I met on WP and we did a little shopping so that was cool!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 6:18 pm

I'm confused why is this titled Black Friday? Black Friday is a term for the shopping safari the day after Thanksgiving which I refuse to take part in.

As for Thanksgiving all the mixed and blended families caused by divorce have made holidays frustrating for a lot of people.

I live too far away from family to visit on holidays. So I fixed my own traditional meal at home aside from purchasing a fried turkey at the deli. I always hate eating at friends house because they always serve weird s**t I am allergic to like garlic mashed potatoes & onion casseroles instead of the basic traditional foods.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 6:22 pm

There's a different type of Black Friday that comes to my mind, but this is the wrong thread for me to mention it.

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Nov 2007, 6:37 pm

Ticker wrote:
I'm confused why is this titled Black Friday? Black Friday is a term for the shopping safari the day after Thanksgiving which I refuse to take part in.

As for Thanksgiving all the mixed and blended families caused by divorce have made holidays frustrating for a lot of people.

I live too far away from family to visit on holidays. So I fixed my own traditional meal at home aside from purchasing a fried turkey at the deli. I always hate eating at friends house because they always serve weird sh** I am allergic to like garlic mashed potatoes & onion casseroles instead of the basic traditional foods.

I also think the thread title is misleading. I was expecting a discussion of black friday shopping.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 9:50 pm

Oh well maybe the original poster was confused what Black Friday means. After all this is an autism board. :lol:

Anyway I didn't dare go out to take part in the shopping for bargains. There's really nothing I want that money can buy other than my own house with no neighbors nearby. But I don't have that kinda money. Black Friday shopping has to be high on the list of potential Aspie meltdowns. I can't stand to be pushed and shoved by strangers with shopping carts and no way I would stand in line at 3am to get a discount. Stupid commerical gimmick is all it is!

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:06 pm

When Black Friday comes
I'll stand down by the door
And catch the grey men when they
Dive from the fourteenth floor
When Black Friday comes
I'll collect everything I'm owed
And before my friends find out
I'll be on the road
When Black Friday falls you know it's got to be
Don't let it fall on me
When Black Friday comes
I'll fly down to Muswellbrook
Gonna strike all the big red words
From my little black book
Gonna do just what I please
Gonna wear no socks and shoes
With nothing to do but feed
All the kangaroos
When Black Friday comes I'll be on that hill
You know I will

When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna dig myself a hole
Gonna lay down in it 'til
I satisfy my soul
Gonna let the world pass by me
The Archbishop's gonna sanctify me
And if he don't come across
I'm gonna let it roll
When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna stake my claim
I'll guess I'll change my name

- Steely Dan, "Black Friday", Katy Lied (1975)

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:59 pm

Thanksgiving is a time to eat and poop to your heart's content.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:46 pm

Well Said...............