Talking about people in front of them 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Chewing lips/fingers/fingernails 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 61

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 8:26 pm

Special interests of unusual type and intensity.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 8:35 pm

Speedy wrote:
I do not like the saying "don't let the cat out of the bag". What the hell is that all about? Why is there a cat in a bag? And what has it done that warrants it's future incarceration? If you want me to keep something secret, either do not tell me, or tell me not to tell anyone! Do not bring cats into an already complex situation! Is this the same cat that was put amongst the pigeons? Are these pigeons the birds of a feather that stick together? How come many hands make light work, but too many cooks spoil the broth? It is not just English that is full of this pish, the Chinese have "a rolling stone gathers no moss". So what? AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

It's like that episode "Darmok" on (now, work with me here, ok?) StarTrek the next generation.

Picard had to find a way to communicate with the Tamarians who, he learns, speak entirely in metaphors from their mythology. and the universal translator doesn't translate. In an effort to bring them closer, the Tamarian Captain beams himself and Picard onto a planet inhabited by a dangerous beast.

Picard: Darmok and Gilead at Tenegra
Captain Dathon: Darmok and Gilead on the ocean
Picard: ...They left together (edit)

See?? My mom would hold me by both arms and look into my face and say "Honor Bright??" with great seriousness. I would repeat right back to her "Honor Bright" and she seemed satisfied. Years later I found out she was asking me if 'my honor was bright' if I were LYING! I had no idea and always said yes, not knowing if I were lying or not.

Like Darmok and Gilead at Tenegra, I suppose.

Merle

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 8:42 pm

Nothing.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 9:44 pm

nonicknamedamnit wrote:
I kept saying, if they had a highly verbal, extremely antisocial, somewhat functioning autism, I would be that...VOILA! Diagnose it and they will come...

WOW! At one pont, I saw a description of autism, and thought the same sort of thing. Because I was always compensating so much, I figured they COULDN'T have a diagnosis for me. I never like psychiatrists anyway.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:13 pm

I chew on and pick at my lips almost constantly...to the point that they bleed. It really disturbs my husband and he's always telling me to put some Chapstick on. I also pick at the dead skin around my fingernails and sometimes make them bleed too.

Creeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2007, 12:22 am

There should be a "All of the above" selection

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 12:23 am

Executive dysfunction.

E: I cannot socialize at all; I cannot talk to people, but I don't care.

Last edited by Danielismyname on 25 Nov 2007, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2007, 12:32 am

What I notice most is my lack of social skills and my obsessions, because they're what's important to me. However, plenty of non-autistic people have obsessions or poor social skills, so my most autistic trait is stimming, because it's what other people notice the most - it's definitely what's most different about me to them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:32 am

Obsessions with strange things.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:33 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I cannot socialize at all; I cannot talk to people, but I don't care

I'm the same.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 3:34 am

I read the list to my husband and he said emphatically "interrupting!" LOL

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

Wabbits
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2007, 5:53 am

Why isn't there a box where I can check all of the above?lol But seriously, I think that is why I prefer to be alone, so that all of my "abnormal" behavior won't offend anyone and so that their being offended won't offend me! Do you know how exhausting it is to have to pretend to be just like the NT's? People at work just think I'm eccentric, and they love to remind me to use my "inside voice" It's nice to stay home when I'm not working, talk to myself and bite my nails...etc, oh yeah, and I find when I'm talking to myself, I seldom interrupt me, ha! I hate people btw, and I adore my four dogs....they think I'm great and when I come home, to them I am Elvis and The Beatles! Why wouldn't I prefer their company to some goof who wants to change me ( I can't change) or who could never accept me, just as I am?I have a gazillion hobbies, and right now I am obsessed with learning to play the mandolin like I hear it in my brain, and make it come out of my fingertips---I've been playing for about 5 years but couldn't get farther with that without lessons, couldn't stand the thought of taking lessons so I solved that problem by getting instructional dvd's, ta da!!!But it took me 5 years to figure this out-SIGH

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 11:15 am

I picked other, because I feel that my strict adherence to routine is by far the worst for me. I cannot learn to be more flexible, even though I have spent my entire lifetime trying.
If I HAD to pick from one of the options listed, I would pick fiddling, since I can control everything else when around others, except that. I am always fiddling with something, or playing with my fingers, and I'm unaware that I'm doing it.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 11:20 am

I talk like a defective text book; mixing up slang and swearing with apparently large words. It's quite amusing.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:02 pm

I guess other, because I've only know the weirdness I'm prey to had a name since I found a Dan Akroyd interview that fit a little too snugly...;)

Stimming? - forgive an old f*rt, but what is it?

I chew the area around the fingernail ends, but only when the get so long they hurt or get in the way.

I'm bad on interrupting, but I'm getting better at just shutting up and letting the NT's make fools of themselves..;)

Probably the worst part is when I've ticked off someone, and am scrambling around trying to 'fix it'...

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 9:03 pm

Nothing outwardly... I don't stim or rock or fidget or anything in front of other people. Nothing that people would recognize as stimming, anyway. I'd say my most recognizable trait in public is being lost in my daydreams and barely acknowledging other people most of the time.