Talking about people in front of them 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Chewing lips/fingers/fingernails 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 61

nonicknamedamnit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2007, 12:41 pm

I stopped head-banging around age 6; now I do the rocking/swaying thing or at night, I twist my leg back and forth ( I'm told this is highly annoying; I think having me talk all night because I can't sleep would be even more annoying, but maybe I'm a better conversationalist than I dared to hope) I'm afraid I do interrupt quite a bit. Does anyone else get into comfort rituals that are absolutely iron-clad until they suddenly aren't anymore? (the last 2 months I was a homesick au pair in Paris---I decided I had to do something radical to break out of my high school agoraphobia, if I was to go to University--I ate nothing but oatmeal and raisins, every meal, every day. Then, one day, Ididn't need or want it again.) Before I knew about Asperger's, I had an autistic godson, Ace, and almost all of his behaviors seemed a) familiar and b) perfectly logical, if you merely expanded your parameters a little. I could explain to his mother, my best friend, what he was doing and sometimes why he was doing it. " Think of being on an extremely intense acid trip you can never come down from and tell me how you would react to stimulation? " I kept saying, if they had a highly verbal, extremely antisocial, somewhat functioning autism, I would be that...VOILA! Diagnose it and they will come...

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:58 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
By 'chewing on fingers', do you mean chewing the dead skin around the nails?

If so, I've always thought it was normal to do that and I've always done that as far as I can remember. I've got small callouses on the sides of my fingernails because of it. I used to bite them raw, but don't anymore; too painful.

Yes, that counts. Actually (disgustingly) I do it too. :ncool:

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 2:32 pm

My tics and the way i talk. I get a lot worse when i am around a lot of people.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 2:40 pm

My obsession with sports statistics, followed by my inability to communicate my feelings to even people that understand me.

I do stim a lot, but I try to keep it private.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 2:42 pm

Where's sensory? That's the one both my husband and I would choose. Of the list offered, I chose interrupting.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 2:45 pm

I don't chew the skin around my nails, but pick at it constantly. I mean all the time, I can't stop till its hurts. I have to cover it with a bandaid so I can't get at it anymore.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2007, 2:45 pm

Being an insensitive robot.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 3:03 pm

I picked stimming (no pun intended), but interrupting is a very, very close second.

Last edited by riverotter on 24 Nov 2007, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 3:33 pm

Social difficulties (not only poor social skills but also a lack of desire to be among others), a strong need to know a logical reason of everything, body language which almost doesn't exist.

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Nov 2007, 6:13 pm

I picked rocking/swaying, although my finger clicking is a very close second.

It's funny with the interupting thing, because as a child around my grandparents it was a lot of "speak when spoken to" and "seen and not heard", so now, in shops, at work, with friends, I tend to wait idly by until someone comes up to me, or, if I am feeling sarcastic, I raise my hand. I have a feeling that last one is a latent symbol of defiance...

I do chew the skin around my finger tips and anywhere else that needs getting to, not so much a nail biter, although I am obssessed with getting any dirt out from underneath them.

Socially I am terrible, so my boss/partner has decided to make it her mission to make me date-able. I am not amused.

Terrible at picking up the signals that NTs give off, especially the ones that mean "you can go now". That was one class I DEFINATELY missed.

My current quirk is having elastic bands in my pocket. Sometimes I put a couple on my wrists, and s**t, does it freak the easily freaked out or what? They are akin to a security blanket for when new or disliked people are around.

As I am verbally unable to express my true feelings to the object of my desires, I write them down in the form of a song. If I can't write a song, then I go into shutdown until I am done.

I do not like the saying "don't let the cat out of the bag". What the hell is that all about? Why is there a cat in a bag? And what has it done that warrants it's future incarceration? If you want me to keep something secret, either do not tell me, or tell me not to tell anyone! Do not bring cats into an already complex situation! Is this the same cat that was put amongst the pigeons? Are these pigeons the birds of a feather that stick together? How come many hands make light work, but too many cooks spoil the broth? It is not just English that is full of this pish, the Chinese have "a rolling stone gathers no moss". So what? AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2007, 7:00 pm

My most noticeable are probably interrupting and staring. I've gotten much better at not interrupting but if I get excited about the conversation, I forget and start doing it.

With the staring, I tend to either star off into space (or at interesting ceiling tile patterns or birds if I'm outside) or I forget that you're supposed to look away from people every once in a while while talking to them. The eye contact thing I have to pay attention to - I either have a hard time looking someone in the eye or a hard time not staring at them.

Stimming is only an issue when I'm really stressed. I've always had issues biting the nails. I've found that it's much easier when I get regular manicures. I'll also pace if I'm on the phone. Sometimes I rock forward and backward on the balls of my feet, but if I'm that bad at work I usually just go bum a cigarette from someone and it seems to serve as a stim for me.

Keoren
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2007, 7:24 pm

I fiddle with everything.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 7:29 pm

Spot17 wrote:
My most noticeable are probably interrupting and staring. I've gotten much better at not interrupting but if I get excited about the conversation, I forget and start doing it.

With the staring, I tend to either star off into space (or at interesting ceiling tile patterns or birds if I'm outside) or I forget that you're supposed to look away from people every once in a while while talking to them. The eye contact thing I have to pay attention to - I either have a hard time looking someone in the eye or a hard time not staring at them.

Stimming is only an issue when I'm really stressed. I've always had issues biting the nails. I've found that it's much easier when I get regular manicures. I'll also pace if I'm on the phone. Sometimes I rock forward and backward on the balls of my feet, but if I'm that bad at work I usually just go bum a cigarette from someone and it seems to serve as a stim for me.

OOOH, so that is why it is so hard to quit for me, and I would quit for years then come back again. I also keep my weight down when I am smoking but I now stim by eating, anyone else stim by eating?

squeezle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Nov 2007, 7:33 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
(Unless they want to hear about an interesting thing that happened to me several years ago when I was in a similar situation and this happened then that happened and that was like when I was 12 when I had something similar happen but I don't know if that should be included because it isn't EXACTLY like it is now because of this situation and then that situation was going on and did I tell you about the historical ramifications that would slightly tweek that situation and then. . . .)

i LOLed - i can totally relate to this!

Spot17 wrote:

i can relate to this as well, i am especially bad about interrupting in my grad school seminars when i get all jazzed about geeky-academicy things

sinsboldly wrote:
anyone else stim by eating?

yup, gotta have my crunchy things - but i've been able to make myself exercise fairly regularly so my weight hasn't gotten completely out of control

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 7:34 pm

Keoren wrote:
I fiddle with everything.

htat reminds me of the lyrics to "the Ritalin Song" in the "Brothers little helper " episode of the Simpsons.
(Sung to the tune of "Popeye the Sailor Man")
"When I can't stop me fiddlin',
I just takes me Ritalin,
I'm poppin and sailin man!"

Fittingly enough Mark McGwire guest stars.

Maeotian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Nov 2007, 7:54 pm

By fiddling, do you mean constantly touching and moving things around? If you do, then yes, I tend to do that alot.