Input Needed for Study - Easing AS symptoms with Tapping

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 4:38 pm

Hello All,

This is not a formal study, but one I've been anxious to get input on. If it grows or is very helpful I will write it up and continue researching.

The premise is that a technique called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) can help to ease or eliminate many problems. Physical ailments, mental anguish, anxiety, headaches, stress, all kinds of things. I learned EFT and have been using it for quite awhile in my own life, with family and friends. My husband uses it with coworkers. We have a long list of amazing results from this technique.

After seeing such great (and quick) results in NTs, and seeing some of my own AS symptoms diminish, I want to apply EFT to AS and see if others get good results.

EFT is a form of acupressure. It is basically acupuncture without any needles. Instead of inserting needles, you tap lightly with your fingertips on main meridian points of the body. There are about 7 or 8 tapping points that can be done in a process that takes less than one minute to complete. Many times completing one round or following it up with 2 or 3 more rounds, can eliminate or ease a problem.

It seems to work outstandingly well to ease anxiety.

EFT is taught free all over the web. The main website for EFT is www.emofree.com

If you are text oriented and would rather read about EFT, on the homepage are some yellow buttons that link to a free manual download (it gives all the information and testimonials).

If you are visually oriented and would like to see EFT demonstrated, a website that shows many free videos on how to do the tapping process is www.tapping.com

You can also go to YouTube.com and search "EFT" and find hundreds of great EFT videos to watch. After seeing a few of those short videos you will understand how the tapping works.

Basically you are focusing on one problem (say stomachache) and you assign that problem a number on how severe it is (on a scale of 1 to 10). This is only your number, you just decide if it's a 10 - the worst pain you've ever felt or a 1 or 2 - barely felt at all.

Then you do a round of tapping, while focusing on your problem.

After the round you reassess - what number are you at now? If there is more of the problem remaining you do another round and again reassess.

I am very interested in hearing if any of you would give this a try and report back here on your results. I can list success stories but will do so later, so as not to prejudice anyone or influence your expectations.

Thank you for your input - this can be very helpful to you and helpful to me if you respond with your results.

If you choose to not participate, or if you want to criticize or belittle the idea of EFT, please do so in another thread so this one can be focused on questions and results.

Thank you!

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 4:42 pm

Very interesting. Will be doing some reading and will try it out. I'll report back here with the results. Maybe I could find it helpful for my severe back pain?

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 4:46 pm

I would absolutely try it for back pain.

Here are some links to people who have found help for back pain with EFT:
http://www.emofree.com/articles.aspx?id=7

monty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 10:22 am

Haven't tried it, can't say much about it. It did remind me of another study I just came across:

Quote:
Improvement in sensory impairment and social interaction in young children with autism following treatment with an original Qigong massage methodology.

Silva LM, Cignolini A, Warren R, Budden S, Skowron-Gooch A.
Am J Chin Med. 2007;35(3):393-406.
Teaching Research Institute, Western Oregon University, P.O. Box 688, Salem, OR 97308, USA.

In clinical research, sensory impairment is considered one of the core deficits in autism and is associated with impaired socialization, behavioral disturbances and bowel and sleep problems. The effectiveness of the Cignolini methodology, an original Qigong massage methodology, in treating sensory impairment in young children with autism was evaluated in a small, controlled study. Thirteen children with autism between the ages of three and six received daily treatment according to the methodology for 5 months. Compared with untreated children, treated children experienced significant improvement of their sensory impairment (p < 0.01), and demonstrated increased social skills (p < 0.04) and basic living skills (p < 0.02) on standardized measures. In addition, all of the children with bowel and sleep abnormalities demonstrated improvement after treatment.

PMID: 17597498

I have done some acupressure massage, and find it strange and amazing how pressure on one part of the body can cause tingling or release in another part of the body, in a way that is not predictable according to simple neuroanatomy. For example, massaging somewhere on the right foot consistently causes an unusual feeling on the left shoulder, etc. While the nerves that flow down the spine to the various parts of the body do so in a fairly straight-forward hierarchical way, all the input and control goes into the 'black-box' of the brain, where they can be connected in unpredictable ways. And there are reflexes that most people are quite unaware of - my non-cardiac chest pain is affected by knots in the muscles on my shoulder blade.