Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 2:08 pm

Quote:
It depends how smart is defined. I consider smart being able to create relationships and have etiquette. By that definition, we are dumb.

I think that's one side of the coin, but not the only one.

(...Duh!)

Last edited by SilverProteus on 25 Nov 2007, 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 2:14 pm

InSpades wrote:
It depends how smart is defined. I consider smart being able to create relationships and have etiquette. By that definition, we are dumb.

You sound like a neurotypical bully. Are you here to belittle others? :roll:

xx Dan Monster

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 2:53 pm

I've read some study about people (kids) with an IQ around 130 having more problems socializing than those 20 points above or below that figure.
Also it's said that a difference of 30 iq points is huge for communication purposes (at a meaningful level, I suppose).
Last time there was an iq poll here the average was around 130 - though that seems to happen at every forum. :roll:
Some traits attributed to things like ADD or AS are also traits attributed to giftedness (for example increased sensitivity in the case of AS).
A glimpse through this forum shows that most instances of "NT" could be replaced with "trendy idiots" - not to say that "NT" doesn't exist but that the characteristics that seem to alienate people more have to do more with the "trendy idiot" label.

All that should make one wonder - at least - how many presumed cases of AS are really just people with high iqs at odds with mainstream culture.
. . .especially since checklist traits are defied right and left and people can't seem to agree on what AS is.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 3:03 pm

Kitsy wrote:
InSpades wrote:

You sound like a neurotypical bully. Are you here to belittle others? :roll:

Kitsy is right. You just described a polite BIMBO! HECK, I have better etiquette than most, and did even before I was 10! BTW by your definition, RATS are smart! I mean THEY are social and follow their etiquette! BTW psychologists consider this as only 1 of 7 components in the FULL IQ spectrum, and it is one of 3 or 4 that aren't even measured on IQ tests.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 3:16 pm

Whisperer wrote:
Last time there was an iq poll here the average was around 130 - though that seems to happen at every forum. :roll:

Do you mean even at normal NT forums? One thing I liked seeing here was that even the smarter ones admitted big weaknesses in other areas, and some that weren't so smart admitted it. ALSO, a lot of people responded.

Still, you might be right. In MY industry, the average IQ is supposedly about 130+. Some people ARE very smart. But many are just plain STUPID! I spend like 30+% of my time correcting others errors/failures, and sometimes am asked why things aren't working by people I told months earlier that it couldn't be done. So I have to wonder a bit about how true it is.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 3:22 pm

There are alot of smart people on this board. Are people who suggest otherwise blinded by footballs?

xx Dan Monster

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 3:44 pm

people who think they're smart rarely are. those that truly are feel inadaquate about what they don't know, as opposed to superior becuase of what they do, and only feel smart when others say so. I do not feel like an intellegent or articulate person, but my friends say otherwise.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 4:41 pm

-Vorzac- wrote:
people who think they're smart rarely are. those that truly are feel inadaquate about what they don't know, as opposed to superior becuase of what they do, and only feel smart when others say so. I do not feel like an intellegent or articulate person, but my friends say otherwise.

WOW, MORE backward thinking! As a WHOLE, I agree with you. HOWEVER, I, and many others here that have said they were smart, HAVE indicated that we have weak areas we would like to improve on. HECK, the social IQ of most people on this board, myself included, is certainly sub par.

Interestingly, I hold myself to a higher standard than my friends/coworkers, and sometimes don't like it when they say I am smart because of some minor thing I have done. So that speaks against YOUR methods ALSO!

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2007, 5:21 pm

From what I've noticed so far, I find that most (if not all) Aspies are intelligent. Unfortunately, as for how intelligent, it's hard to tell. I'd like to think that we'd be higher than average though, even if it's only by 10 or 20 points.

I would think that this would be a good researach thing for those Psychologists out there.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 5:25 pm

Every1 wid AS is different but lot of ppl i know say dat im smart so 4 me dats a good ting as i can memorise road maps, numbers n train lines. 8)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 7:31 pm

Academically, I was smart, but socially I wasn't.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 8:19 pm

I have a high IQ and good problem-solving skills, but I fail miserably at picture-pattern recognition tests. Number and letter patterns are fine, but I'll be damned if I can tell you what pattern of dots on a square should come next.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 9:04 pm

Kitsy wrote:
There are alot of smart people on this board. Are people who suggest otherwise blinded by footballs?

Interestingly enough, out of all the students in our school, I would say the football players, on average, tend to be smarter than the band. Perhaps it's because they're required to keep up a certain GPA (whereas the band is not), but I know of at least two who generally have 4.0s (in other words, straight As or higher), which is above the line. Obviously, that's just the school I go to, but it's worth noting that not all stereotypes are accurate.

Yes, a lot of people on here are smart; however, a lot is not everyone, and WP does not contain all aspies in the world. The selection here, diverse as it may be, cannot be thought of as everyone; there are going to be exceptions to everything. I've been to multiple writing forums; on one, everyone appeared to be quite intelligent, but that does not make all writers smart. On another, most couldn't figure out how to properly type a sentence; that doesn't make all writers grammatically challenged. Besides, people can appear intelligent and not be as knowing as they appear; the internet is useful for such things. There's nothing that says that people must have a high IQ to be an aspie.

I think it's more likely that the "normal" intelligence for aspies would be around average. We have strengths and weaknesses like everybody else. One can be excellent in math and poor in writing (like my father); others can be wonderful in writing but generally fail math. Some are outstanding at most subjects they try, and some aren't outstanding at all, truly. It's just the way people are.

Three years!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 10:02 pm

I am at the top of my high school class. All the other Aspies I have met in person are highly intelligent. But then, I don't know very many Aspies. I will echo others here in acknowledging that, while I am book smart, I am utterly lost in social life and many everyday "common sense" situations. I also tend to be rather slack with my schoolwork, and I often will simply neglect to do homework. Still managed to pull off valedictorian, but that kind of work ethic isn't going to be as effective in college.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 10:02 pm

I recall it mentioned that Aspie was average or above IQ.

Aspie question, is the bottom of our bell curve set at average, 100 I.Q..

Yes we do have problem areas, and that would reduce overall scores,

So it must take some very high sectors to score above adverage.

So much for IQ, the question was, Are Aspies smart,

the answer is most likely no, by most standards.

In Louisiana a good football player always gets A's, if you want to keep your job.

He is going to play for LSU, and get A's, even if he cannot read and write. He might go Pro.

Football is one of the best jobs in Louisiana, a Degree in it's self.

They will give you a car and girl friends, cash gets lost at your apartment.

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2007, 11:03 pm

I have a problem with the statement "Aspies are average or above average intelligence."

Obviously, they're talking about aspies in general, so why say they're one of two things? (average, OR above average intelligence) Either they, as a group, are above average in intelligence, or they're not. If they're not talking in generalizations, then it would be more accurate to say "Aspies are lower than average, average, or above average intelligence." which of course, tells us nothing.

It's confusing. Ain't it? It's like saying, the average IQ of this group is 105 or 120. Well... which is it?! There can only be one average.

Other than that, I haven't seen or heard of any studies which suggests that aspies are smarter than non-aspies (isn't that what we're talking about here?--Smart is a relative term. Yeah, anybody is smart compared to grass.) I suspect that aspies might fare better on NTs on IQ tests in general. I'd guess we have modest advantage in sheer IQ over the NTs. I don't know, that's my suspicion. I've read somewhere in a magazine that it also matters what kind of IQ test is being administered. The article said something to the effect that people with autism have an advantage in fluid, abstract intelligence over NTs which is better detected through Raven's Progressive Matrices tests. NTs have better crystallized intelligence. Funny... I always thought I had better crystallized intelligence than abstract.