Who has the time to avoid trans fats? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Um, what the heck is trans fat? 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
I avoid that poison like the plague!! ! 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:55 pm

Just wondering your opinion on trans fats. It's frightening how many foods they're in, and how dangerous they are. We're trans fat free here, we won't eat any of it (except commercial cake for a birthday or something). Before we went trans fat free, my husband's cholesterol was 190-something and they were saying he needed a statin. They gave him three months to modify the numbers. We changed nothing else (still ate butter and red meat - ack - he did anyhow) and three months later the cholesterol was 134. Yeah. And it has remained so since 2004.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2007, 11:02 pm

Even though I do believe that trans fats are dangerous (and your husband's story certainly proves that), I also believe that being a vegetarian balances that out somewhat.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

24 Nov 2007, 11:41 pm

I know almost nothing about nutrition, so I just use my instincts and eat in moderation. I like to eat real fruits and vegetables. I drink water instead of soda. I eat whole grain bread instead of white bread. I rarely ever eat candies. I can't remember the last time I read the nutrition facts off of anything, but evidently I seem to be doing okay.

(I don't know enuf to contribute anything to this thread, but there's my story anyway.)