Should I transfer to one of these cities?

Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 5:32 pm

Lately, I have been worried that my class schedules throughout my studies (at the rate I'm going, I should graduate in May 2010) might affect my ability to work part-time.

Beginning next semester, all of my courses will either be math or science. And taking 3 or 4 math/science courses per semester would prevent me from working, even part-time, and I would have to rely entire on savings to support myself.

I have been researching large metro areas that had at least one state college with a geology program that either (a) did not require very many classes, or (b) offered course sequencing that would cater to my going to school part-time and working full-time.

Two colleges met this description: Sonoma State University (in Rohnert Park, CA--within commuting distance to San Francisco), and the University of Memphis.

Should I transfer to one of those colleges, or should I stay at MSU and go to school full-time?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 7:01 pm

Why are you limiting yourself to only those two colleges? Here in New York State, we have an excellent university system called
the "State University of New York" with colleges all over New York State which offer low tuition (about $5,000. a year at most
S.U.N.Y. colleges), campus housing etc... and some S.U.N.Y. colleges are HUGE because they specialize in certain college majors.

At S.U.N.Y Oneonta, near the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York...there is an excellent program in Geology. But,
you have to be a New York resident to take advantage of the low tuition at S.U.N.Y colleges...as well as their excellent financial
aid programs.

I don't know their exact web address, but if you Google "State University of New York at Oneonta," it will provide you with a look at the college and information about their outstanding Geology program.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 7:42 pm

Going from Texas to the Bay Area? 8O

MAN are you gonna be hurting in the finances!

Rent is EXPENSIVE in California Tim! And it's not easy to find housing for a student either.
Now, I don't live in that area (5 hrs North), but you're picking one of the most expensive areas of the state to live if you choose anywhere around the Bay.

Unless you have a good line on a rental you can afford, or have lined up some serious couch-surfing, you might reconsider.

I wouldn't come out here cold if I were you. If you do not know anyone in that area, perhaps I can get you some information first.

Just let me know.

What about UTEP in El Paso?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 8:17 pm

wsmac wrote:
Going from Texas to the Bay Area? 8O

MAN are you gonna be hurting in the finances!

Rent is EXPENSIVE in California Tim! And it's not easy to find housing for a student either.
Now, I don't live in that area (5 hrs North), but you're picking one of the most expensive areas of the state to live if you choose anywhere around the Bay.

Unless you have a good line on a rental you can afford, or have lined up some serious couch-surfing, you might reconsider.

I wouldn't come out here cold if I were you. If you do not know anyone in that area, perhaps I can get you some information first.

Just let me know.

What about UTEP in El Paso?

I chose places like the Bay Area and Seattle because those are good places to study geology, and there are a lot of liberal Aspies in those locations. Everybody where I am is NT and conservative.

Tim

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 8:25 pm

Well George Mason good itself because they are varieties of people here. I do not know much about the Geology Department here but I think its good for anyone who's interested in geology. I'm actually a moderate in political views here and no one attacks for my political views one bit.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 8:33 pm

And specifically, I am trying to meet female Aspies for dating, and very few liberal Aspie women are single and looking, and even then, the furthest they are willing to travel is about 50 miles. And there aren't any liberal, single, female Aspies anywhere near me.

The nearest AS support group is 115 miles away.

I try to be a good role model to other people, I have major goals and know what I want in life, I'm not lazy, yet I get turned down because I lack geographical convenience.

Tim

Space
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 11:48 pm

Just do it wherever it is cheapest and easiest. If you make the situation too hard for yourself you will probably break down and quit, people often think they can do something but when they do it they regret it. Moving to a new city+going to school and paying loads of $ for rent sounds insane to me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 11:52 pm

All the places I can afford are very conservative, and there are either (a) no liberal Aspie women, or (b) maybe one or two, but they aren't single and looking.

Tim

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 11:57 pm

Is there such a thing at colleges as a sponsor who can help you get situated in town?

Never heard of one, but I just thought maybe there is something like that.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 12:01 am

wsmac wrote:
Is there such a thing at colleges as a sponsor who can help you get situated in town?

Never heard of one, but I just thought maybe there is something like that.

No, there isn't. Unless I become lucky and rich, I'm screwed.

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 12:48 am

How do I meet single, liberal Aspie women if there aren't any who live locally, and nobody is willing to travel more than 50 miles to meet me, and there's no way I can move to a place where I *will* be within 50 miles of someone?

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 1:31 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
Why are you limiting yourself to only those two colleges? Here in New York State, we have an excellent university system called
the "State University of New York" with colleges all over New York State which offer low tuition (about $5,000. a year at most
S.U.N.Y. colleges), campus housing etc... and some S.U.N.Y. colleges are HUGE because they specialize in certain college majors.

At S.U.N.Y Oneonta, near the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York...there is an excellent program in Geology. But,
you have to be a New York resident to take advantage of the low tuition at S.U.N.Y colleges...as well as their excellent financial
aid programs.

I don't know their exact web address, but if you Google "State University of New York at Oneonta," it will provide you with a look at the college and information about their outstanding Geology program.

I figured that geology programs in the southern and western states would bring more hands-on experience, because most of the geology jobs are in those parts of the country.

Tim

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2007, 12:34 am

Zsazsa wrote:

Someone else from upstate NY? Is it possible? :D
I just wanted to say hi!! ! :wink:

As a SUNY student it's odd to hear someone talk up the University system ... though it is well deserved in some cases, depending on the campus and major.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 6:17 pm

Space wrote:
Just do it wherever it is cheapest and easiest. If you make the situation too hard for yourself you will probably break down and quit, people often think they can do something but when they do it they regret it. Moving to a new city+going to school and paying loads of $ for rent sounds insane to me.

How do I find Aspie women if there aren't any where I am, and nobody is willing to travel to meet me?

Tim

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 6:54 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Space wrote:

How do I find Aspie women if there aren't any where I am, and nobody is willing to travel to meet me?

Tim

Silicon Valley. It's been scientifically proven that their are higher rates of ASD's and Asperger's syndrome in the Silicon Valley are than anywhere else. However, considering that not only those with Asperger's are in the minority, but given the nature of the syndrome, they'll be even less in a position to date than their statistics would suggest. And given your other criteria, it seems nigh impossible. I go to a liberal University, and even among fellow science students, I am by far the most Aspie-ish (and I am not even officially diagnosed; my therapist just said that I show "significant signs" of Asperger's).

Why not drop the criteria and seemly try to meet someone you "mesh" with? I know zilch about dating, but it would seem that if you are basing a potential relationship on a cartoon and arbitrary labels, it will probably be superficial at best. :?

Either way, I hope things work out for you and your situation.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 7:02 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Space wrote:

Tim

Silicon Valley. It's been scientifically proven that their are higher rates of ASD's and Asperger's syndrome in the Silicon Valley are than anywhere else. However, considering that not only those with Asperger's are in the minority, but given the nature of the syndrome, they'll be even less in a position to date than their statistics would suggest. And given your other criteria, it seems nigh impossible. I go to a liberal University, and even among fellow science students, I am by far the most Aspie-ish (and I am not even officially diagnosed; my therapist just said that I show "significant signs" of Asperger's).

Why not drop the criteria and seemly try to meet someone you "mesh" with? I know zilch about dating, but it would seem that if you are basing a potential relationship on a cartoon and arbitrary labels, it will probably be superficial at best. :?

Either way, I hope things work out for you and your situation.

That part of the country is expensive. How are Aspies less in a position to date?

And by liberal, I meant more in terms of social liberalism than political liberalism. She would be willing to do things that are considered evil be social conservatives (like watch South Park and have sex outside of marriage).

Tim