Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2007, 8:24 am

What kind of accommodations do you get from your college because of your AS/learning disability/etc?

My college is asking for what specific accommodations I want...basically right now all they're offering is extra time (1.5x) on exams, which is nice, but I think it's not enough...but they won't suggest anything else, I have to come up with them.

The one thing I have real trouble with is writing...like I do fine and teachers like my writing, but it takes absolutely forever and stresses me out to no end. So I was thinking of like extended deadlines on essays. Also for exemption from attendance requirements for classes with writing (yes we have attendance in college, lame), in case I get all stressed and want to leave.

But how to phrase it so it doesn't sound like I just want to turn in my work late and never come to class? Any ideas please? Thanks :)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 8:47 am

Unsure....does your college have a health center &/or disability service? If so, I sincerely hope yours is better than mine! Assuming they are, they should be helpful. Or, if you need ADA accommodations, you could ask your local ADA representative for help (again, hope they're better than what I've encountered). I would try to write/list what you need for accommodations, with specificity, so you can SHOW what you need. Remember, your accommodations must be reasonable, specific, doable, and verifiable. This means, have a doctor (or equivalent) to verify your Dx first, then you show, with clarity, why your accommodation(s) is real.

In the ideal world, this should work. In practice, well, good luck. Really, good luck. Do you have an academic advisor/mentor? That would be a big plus for you too.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2007, 9:33 am

There was a PDF titled Ladders to Success, complete with checklists and suggestions, but I couldn't find it for you. I hope the article below has information to get you started, by comparison for your particular needs.

TRANSITIONAL PROGRAMS

Providing the Structure the Autistic Need for College Life

By Mariana Minaya
Special to The Washington Post
Monday, October 29, 2007; Page B02

snip

The proper support, according to the program's model, is a regimen in which a student's week is heavily planned: tutoring sessions, study time, social outings and meetings with financial advisers. A scheduler helps Freeman plan her week in a color-coded agenda that includes time for academics as well as trips with her friends to the shopping mall and grocery store.

She meets with a financial planner, therapists and a meal planner, who helps her create grocery lists and even helps her tackle French onion soup recipes. The staff members, whom she knows by name, have become familiar with her personality and habits, such as the fact that she keeps her apartment very clean.

"It's kind of like a work environment," she said. "You know each other on a first-name basis, but you keep a distance. When you're a disabled kid, your family sometimes tries to mother you; you don't really grow up that much. They really let you act like an adult [here]."

Adulthood comes with boundaries, however. With Freeman's permission, her mother receives a weekly update on her progress. And the staff counsels students to avoid destructive behavior and people who might take advantage of them.

The program, originally based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., was bought two years ago by Educational Services of America, a for-profit company that operates alternative- and special-education programs. Within a year of purchasing College Living Experience, the company opened sites in Austin and Denver. This year, it expanded to Monterey, Calif., Chicago, and to Rockville, near Montgomery College.

snip

Balance at:

Providing the Structure the Autistic Need for College Life

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 501_2.html

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 1:02 pm

The College Living Experience program looks very good and the ideas seem quite sound - you might be able to tailor it to something you can do on your own. [Unless you can afford the $33K the program costs per year, on top of what your education will cost. If money is no object, I would recommend this kind of program to you - it certainly would have helped me! That program looks really sweet! Things would have been SO much easier....]

What you'll actually get from your campus office of disabled student services (DSS) in the USA will vary with their budget and the institutional culture, and whether you're on a campus that accepts federal funds or not. I work on a public campus where even folks with visable disabilities have to fight the system every step of the way [there's no money in the budget for DSS cases] and threaten to file complaints with the Office of Civil Rights, from time to time, to get what they need. [That is not something to be done lightly, but does rattle the administration if you have a reasonable case. They can become very helpful at that point!] I've also worked on campuses where students with any sort of disability were given tremendous help. I hope you have a supportive atmosphere. You are going to have to be very clear, in either case, as to what it is you need and what you want from them. You will most likely have to get a doctor to back you up on what you request (but maybe not). It has been my experience that DSS offices tend to see themselves as facilitating accommodations, not serving as your advocate.

What I would suggest is what they and others told you already - make a list of the problems you have. You mentioned problems with writing. Here are some thoughts:

For tests - many professors and instructors will allow one-on-one oral examinations in lieu of a timed essay exam. You might consider asking them ahead of time if they would be willing to do that, if you are comfortable with it. I couldn't have, as my vocal communication skills issues would have gotten in the way, but if you can speak coherently you might ask for this accommodation. Take an outline of what you want to say with you, if it's to be a simple presentation and they'll allow you to use one. You can mentally rehearse it if they won't let you take in an outline. If it's a "question and answer" oral exam they usually won't let you bring notes. You have to make sure you understand the material. I've known cases where the prof has simply sat down over coffee with a student and they've discussed the material. The prof was able to judge how well the student knew the material from that conversation, and graded accordingly. [That's rare, though.]

I have had classes where we had the option of taking three essay tests or doing a 20 page, typewritten research project during the semester. I did a lot of research papers. I actually probably learned more about the subject than I would have if I'd just taken the tests. (In a few courses I had to propose this to the professor in advance in lieu of doing an oral presentation as well. Sometimes they allowed this, but usually not.) If you do go this route, I know it will be painful to do the writing, but you will have all quarter or semester to get it done. [Start early, develop a work schedule, and stick to it!] If they do allow you this option, make the paper as close to stellar as you can so that you plant a favorable impression in the professor's mind. If it works out well, you can use that professor as a reference when you approach other professors with the same proposal. They'll also remember you when it comes time for you to ask for letters of reference, and being thought of as "an innovative and resourceful problem solver" is not a bad thing, especially if you go to a school where you'll never have the same professor twice. It's hard to get real references when the prof can't remember who you are! Your success is also helpful to the people with disabilities who come along after you - the prof already knows it can be done and is likely to allow it again.

If it's the physical process (a problem like dysgraphia) of writing that's in your way, request permission to use a keyboard in the classroom or under the supervision of the DSS. I've never seen that one refused, especially if the DSS provides the laptop in the room prior to your arrival so there's no question of you sneaking in notes or cheating. These are lovely in that they usually have spell and grammar check on them and it's not normally turned off (though it might be for an English or writing class where they're testing your knowledge of the actual mechanics of the language).

If you are unable to type, there are speech to text programs available for a computer. You could request one, and a testing room in which to use it so that you do not disturb your classmates during the testing time. I would think DSS should be able to provide that with minimal effort. The programs take a little time and effort to learn to use, but could be quite helpful to you. You can use them for homework, as well.

If it's just that writing an essay takes you a very long time - the formulation of the concepts you want to say - and the professor or instructor insists on in-class essays, yes, by all means ask for more time. Your DSS office should intercede for you there. I have seen professors accept requests to start the essays early - for some reason they sometimes are more amenable to allowing a student to come to their offices (or to the DSS office) prior to the time that the essay is to be written in class. [I've never understood that, but I've seen it happen.]

Perhaps the prof would give you a list of the potential topics of the essays (without specifying what the actual one would be) and you could do an outline for each ahead of time? If you're testing in a private office instead of the classroom, and if the proctor is able to see your outlines ahead of time and the instructor approves, they might let you use them. I always found that deciding what it was I wanted to put into the essay is what took up the most time, not the physical act of writing it down (although that did take longer than a "normal" student).

If the essays are "out of class" assignments, I don't know what to tell you. It used to take me forever to write something, but I've found that the more I do it the less time it takes. The expectation that a college graduate will be able to write competently is something that goes with the degree.

I don't think you can realistically ask to be excused from taking a class with a significant writing component. The argument can be made that it "waters down" the value of the diploma and administrations are very touchy about that. It was the same with me when I had to deal with the oral communication classes. I didn't do well, but I did well enough. You haven't truly suffered until you've heard me giving a speech. :wink:

Other accommodations -

Are you able to listen to the lectures and follow them? If you have trouble focusing, you might bring a digital or tape recording device to class. This is very commonly accepted. The DSS should provide you with documentation that allows you to do so, if the professor insists on it. The school may or may not provide the actual equipment to you. (I know someone here who is visually impaired who has to bring her own zoom-lens camera and laptop setup to classes as the school won't provide one - there's no money in the budget for it.)

I've seen classes where the individual departments actually taped the lectures and made the tapes available for students with learning disabilities at a learning lab on campus - they can go and watch it as many times as needed, or check it out and take it home to do the same. [This would have been such a big help to me, had the technology been available!]

Are note-takers available? If so, I'd definitely use one as they can provide succinct notes - in my case I tried to scribble my own and half the time I couldn't read them later that day because my handwriting was so poor. Plus, I could do really only one thing well - I could either listen to the prof or I could write the notes. By trying to do both I really didn't capture to memory much of the lectures, and so I'd have to double-up on reading on my own to "get" the material.

Distractions - Does the noise of being in a large lecture hall (300+ students, for example) when people shuffle their feet, cough, pass notes, read the paper, talk to each other during lectures, or the overhead lights buzz or flicker, the air conditioning or heating distracts, there's a lot of outside noise, or similar problems, or if the seats are hideously uncomfortable, keep you from focusing on the professor/instructor?

Being allowed to sit closer to the prof might help - it blocks the other students' activities from your view. I tried for first or second row in class and it did help me ignore the distractions.

Headphones that some of the hearing-impaired students use might help with the auditory distractions - they block out a lot of the background sound. If the prof uses a microphone to talk to the class, asking for this accommodation is not at all unreasonable - the headset picks up the audio straight from his mic. The one time I got to use them it was amazing - it was an entirely different experience, and a good one.

Sitting near a window in a hot room or near the door, or away from the vents where the hot or cold air blows in helped with the thermal issues. Go to the room before the students are there to see what the airflow is like. Remember that the temp will go up when the room is full of bodies putting off heat.

Sunglasses helped me with the overhead fluorescent lights. I had an argument with a prof once - he said it was rude to be wearing them and insisted I remove them. I told him I couldn't be in the room unless I had them on. Aspergers' was not a viable diagnosis at this time, and most of the other neurological disabilities were more or less unknown, so I didn't have a lot to stand on. I had to drop the class and ask for a different prof. Fortunately, there was another section and I did talk to the prof before signing into it, and he was willing to allow the glasses based on my reputation with the other faculty.

Just for "in general" - You might ask for the professor's class notes in advance. Some profs have a set of lecture notes that they speak off of and will make available to students. Some provide an extremely detailed syllabus as well. I found both items invaluable - I could see the work that was going to be required on a class meeting-by-meeting basis and could do much of it ahead of time. [Always plan on reading your material before the day on which the material is to be discussed.]

There's not a lot you can do about uncomfortable seating - and some of those chairs are like concrete. Bring a pillow or, if it's a real problem, ask if you can bring a portable chair of your own to set up. If there's room for someone in a wheel-chair in the room, there's room for a portable chair. [Try to remember that everyone is sitting in those torture seats, though. It's not just you.]

You mentioned stress and wanting to leave. That's something you're going to have to learn to cope with in life, unfortunately. Life can be stressful. I found that planning helped. Knowing what was going to happen ahead of time in the class helped. Taking a short bathroom break in a longer class, stopping and having a small snack like salted peanuts or a bit of candy and then going back into the room helped. If you have problems sticking through very long classes (my grad classes were 3 hours long each - just deadly, most of them), try to reward yourself with one of those breaks if the prof doesn't give you one. For the shorter classes, all I can say is just do your best. You have to learn to get around the wanting to leave part, you really do. It's hard.

I went through school before a lot of people with disabilities made it to college. I think the latest stats (probably out of date) are now that 2 in 10 students have some sort of disability. I made it and they are making it through the system, so we know it's doable.

Something to remember is that a lot of faculty with tenure may not have much experience with someone with either a visible or invisible disability, and might not buy the concept of invisible disabilities at all. They didn't go to school with us, and if they've been teaching for thirty or forty years they've probably not taught many of us (or known they were). I've watched this for a few years now, more and more students needing accommodation flooding into a system that's ill prepared and underfunded to meet their needs. When you have a DSS office that's only minimally helpful, you have to rely on the goodwill of the faculty.

It's always good to approach them early, courteously, and to have your plan mapped out in advance. Yes, technically you have a right to accommodation, but appearing on the first day of class and demanding it is not going to endear you to a prof who has 300 people in his or her or classroom. Contact them early, and be polite. Take someone along with you, if you need to, for moral support. Tell the prof or instructor exactly what you need and why you need it. Be prepared to show proof of that. If they say "no", ask them if there's some other way that you and they can work together. You need to come across as maturely and professionally as you can. They don't always do the same in return, but my experience is that they will work with you more often than not. I asked for all my accommodations without having the benefit of a DSS file. I only very rarely was turned down.

Every now and then you're going to run into an obstinate old goat who just will not work with you. That's life, you can get around them and show them what you are really made of by doing well.

The very best of luck to you! Please feel free to PM if I can be of any assistance.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 2:25 pm

I forgot one more - an "attendance buddy". Get the name and email/phone info for at least two other people in the class. Offer to provide info about what went on in class to them if they miss class, with the understanding that they will do the same for you if you have to miss class. Unless you have access to videos of the class, if you miss it you miss the material. In some classes the lecture is straight out of the book, but in others it will include info that the prof or instructor pulls out of their heads that you won't find easily elsewhere. You don't want to not hear that info, as it has a nasty tendency to turn up on tests. That's not good. I've simply turned to the person sitting on either side of me, in classes, and offered to be the "attendance buddy" for them. Sometimes they've turned out to be flakes, but sometimes not and they actually came through for me. :)

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2007, 4:37 pm

Thanks for the really long post :) I really appreciate it.

I know that I have to stick it out and finish the writing and distribution requirements for my school. I don't expect to be excused, but I'm trying to make it as least painful as possible.

Fortunately I do not have any very large 300 person plus classes since I think I would not like those. Unfortunately the way they get around this is that intro classes are taught by grad students who are not very experienced and really know even less about disabilities.

The academic advisor and the disability office don't really know a whole lot. Basically they offered extra time on timed exams and didn't really want to suggest anything else.

Also on the wanting to leave thing, I know that's something I have to cope with. But I still think getting points off for feeling uncomfortable and needing to leave is unfair. As much as I have trouble with the writings and essays I would rather my grade be based on those then technicalities.

I don't think I have a whole lot of trouble with paying attention or note taking or things like that. It's just that it takes me a really long time to do things especially write papers. I don't even procrastinate or anything, but for example if we're assigned a short 2-page paper to do over the weekend it pretty much takes me the whole weekend to get it done. It seems to take so long to get each sentence out.

I think extended deadlines would really help except of course for the fact that more work is assigned while I'm still catching up, which I still haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 10:56 pm

wolphin wrote:
I don't think I have a whole lot of trouble with paying attention or note taking or things like that. It's just that it takes me a really long time to do things especially write papers. I don't even procrastinate or anything, but for example if we're assigned a short 2-page paper to do over the weekend it pretty much takes me the whole weekend to get it done. It seems to take so long to get each sentence out. I think extended deadlines would really help except of course for the fact that more work is assigned while I'm still catching up, which I still haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Ah. Yes, that is a problem. :( Things do stack up.

As to speeding up writing - perhaps this will help? It's my "secret recipe" for writing a short essay when it's not from the heart and not in a timed test situation (though the process is the same, without the time off to rest if you're doing a timed writing). It's all formula driven. Rather crudely put:

1) Just start thinking of anything you can about the subject and jot it down in any sort of format at all. It can be completely ludicrous, but write it down. If you're not in a timed-test situation, take a break here. Have a glass of water. Stand up and stretch, look out the window, do something completely different. Come back to it and see if you can add anything. If you can't, don't worry. You might think of things to add later.

2) Look at each of those bits of info separately, one at a time, in any order. Try to write a couple of sentences that have something - anything- to do with each item on the list. Don't worry about grammar or spelling. If you can only get one sentence for each thought, fine. That's one more than you already had. If something pops into your head later, you can add it.

3) Take another short break, and come back and re-read the ideas you first had, and see if that jogs your mind into at least another couple of sentences for each. Try to group the sentences as they relate to the ideas you started with - keep all the similar thoughts together. Read each one out loud and see which group each sentence really fits best with. If you have to move them around and attach them to different groups a few times, that's ok. That's the start of the paragraphs.

Don't be worried about grammar or spelling at this juncture. That will only slow you down.

4) Pick the three groups of ideas that you think are the strongest arguments. Work with those as your paragraphs - each group becomes a paragraph. Write a sentence that expresses overall idea of each paragraph. That is, look at everything you've said about that idea, and try to summarize it in a sentence. That'll be your topic sentence for each paragraph. Slap it at the start of all the other sentences in the paragraph.

Again, don't be worried about grammar or spelling, just get the ideas down. You can polish it all up at the end.

5) When you have a "topic" sentence for each paragraph, read them out loud one after the other. Look at which ones seem stronger in your mind - the ones would you use if you were trying to argue or convince someone. You'll want to put them in some sort of order. My personal preference is to start with a strong one (and its paragraph), put a less strong one second (with its paragraph) and put the very strongest point (and paragraph) last. It leaves a more lasting impression in the reader's mind if the last argument they "hear" is the strongest one you have.

Take another break, have a glass of water, do a different kind of homework, do something totally unrelated to the essay for a few minutes. Then come back and read what you have written out loud.

6) Play with the order of the sentences in the paragraphs - some sentences will sound better coming before or after others. Play with it a little. Don't worry about polishing it up or anything, just play with the raw sentences. See how they sound when you say them out loud. If it sounds awkward, it probably is. See what you can do to make it sound like you were saying those few sentences to someone in person.

Once you think you've got at least a reasonable set of arguments together, and got them in an order you like, you can work on the introduction and closing. I never write an intro or closing until I've done the middle part.

7 ) The intro - think about the topic in very general terms. What your intro is going to do is to start out very broadly and then funnel the reader's thinking down into a more narrow focus. Kind of like a funnel. Think about the three points you've made. You need to come up with a sentence that refers to all three points. That'll be your essay topic sentence. It goes last in the first paragraph. Try to think of a few sentences that are less broad than the first sentence in the paper. Put them in between it and the essay topic sentence. Slap this whole paragraph onto the top of your essay.

You still don't need to worry about grammar or spelling. That'll come later.

8 ) Your closing paragraph is like a reverse funnel. You'll want to restate, using different words than used in your topic sentence, the overall idea of the essay. Then point out what you've just said - a short reference to point 1, 2, and 3. Write a sentence or two that's a bit more broad about the implications of your argument - try to think of something that will make people think about what you've said after they've finished reading your essay. You want to leave people thinking about what you said.

Read the whole thing aloud again to make sure it makes sense. Move the bits around until you like the way it sounds.

9) NOW polish your grammar and use spell check.

10) Put the draft away overnight (if you have that long), then come back and look at it again. Read it aloud again. Change what doesn't sound right in your ears, then re-read it aloud again. Keep after that until it sounds like you're talking to someone and making your argument to their face or you run out of time, whichever comes first.

Hope it helps - it's really vague and crudely put here, but the process is the same for most writing assignments. Breaking it into steps and just working a step at a time really helped me speed through awkward assigments. Not worrying about how "pretty" it is grammar or spelling-wise lets you concentrate on the ideas. Being able to walk away from it to do something completely different can let your mind "reset" a bit, give you a fresh take on what you have done. Reading it aloud REALLY helps you know where it's not flowing well. Wish there was an easier way, but I don't know of one. It does get much easier with practice. It's like riding a bicycle. The more you write - any kind of writing - the easier it gets.

Best of luck! - Nan

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 10:39 am

Sorry, I didn't address your point. Yep, it seems unfair that we can't be graded for the amount of effort we put into a project. Unfortunately, the world only seems to grade on the finished product. :( Not much you can do about that except to learn strategies that allow you to get more done with less effort, if possible.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2007, 12:51 am

I never write the intro or conclusion until the end either! Same with outlines. I absolutely have to write the complete paper first, then write the outline.

And actually it's the inverse problem then grading the finished product vs. grading effort. It seems like they care more about you following the right procedure, going through their "writing method", doing outlines and drafts and stuff, than about what actually results.

Which is like super frustrating, because it's clear that I think differently then other people.

Plus, people seem to automatically think I'm a perfectionist when it comes to things like that, because I can't write a "draft" - I just have to write like it's the final paper. It's not perfectionism because I don't really focus/care about fixing every small error, it's about having to do it "all the way" and not halfway. You get?

Thanks for all the advise though! I'll definitely have to refer back next paper I have to write...