Weighted vests or weighted lap blankets?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 10:22 pm

I've been thinking about trying either, but I don't know where I can find them, and I would only use it for when I need to pay attention or for sleeping. Does anybody else use weighted things, such as lap blankets, or weighted vests? Does anybody know any good websites I can find weighted things off of?

StonedRoach
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2007, 10:26 pm

The only thing that I could think of was stealing one of those lead things they stick on us dudes during X-Rays in hospitals. Obviously not big enough to cover the rest of you body.

Just a random thought... :wink:

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 10:29 pm

StonedRoach wrote:
The only thing that I could think of was stealing one of those lead things they stick on us dudes during X-Rays in hospitals. Obviously not big enough to cover the rest of you body.

Just a random thought... :wink:

Haha, i wish! I was just at my orthopedist and i needed an xray and they put one of those weighted lap things on me, i so badly just wanted to get up and walk away with it hehehe

RedRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2007, 10:36 pm

Age1600 wrote:
I've been thinking about trying either, but I don't know where I can find them, and I would only use it for when I need to pay attention or for sleeping. Does anybody else use weighted things, such as lap blankets, or weighted vests? Does anybody know any good websites I can find weighted things off of?

I am curious as to what these are and what they do. Could you possibly explain?

Or maybe point me in the direction of a website that will explain.

Last edited by RedRose on 27 Nov 2007, 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 10:36 pm

Check out eBay for weighted blankets and vests. I really need one so I'm currently making myself a weighted blanket...if only I wasn't such a procrastinator. :roll:

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 10:40 pm

RedRose wrote:
Age1600 wrote:

I am curious as to what these are and what they do. Could you possibly explain?

Have you ever got an xray and they put that heavy weighted thing on you? Well weighted stuff is known to help ASD/ADHD/ADD children to relax, concentrate, help sleep better, and overall calm the person down. If I find more more websites on my own and such, ill def give you the links...

TheZach
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 10:53 pm

I use to wear my heavy carheart jacket all the time in school. People thought I was weird, but it made me comfortable. Now I understand why!

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thezach.net/blog">My Blog</a>

RedRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2007, 10:56 pm

Thats very interesting. Just the other day I was trying to explain to my dad that as well as a heavy feather duvet on my bed I tend to have one or two heavy blankets or throws and that the weight makes me sleep better. He dismissed it saying that its the air-pockets in the duvet that insulate you so I couldn't possibly be more comfortable with all the air squashed out.

I had no idea this was something that other people did, I'll be telling my dad about that, thanks!

Wabbits
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2007, 11:14 pm

Personally, I don't believe you need to buy weighted blankets, all you have to do is pile about 5 heavy wool blankets on top of you, and turn the heat down in your bedroom so that you don't get too warm...well, that's for sleeping and if I want the weight on my lap while I'm doing something, I just fold one of my extra long wool blankets to a smaller size and lay it across my lap...I've been buying way too many blankets on ebay because I have a tendency to go overboard when I take an interest in collecting something, :roll: and I inadvertantly discovered that many blankets on top of me was a good thing because I fell in love with all of the blankets I bought, and couldn't choose just one to sleep with, ended up with all of them in my bedroom, and then ended up with 3 on me, which then led to 4 and then to 5, hilarious or what? :oops: I've bought a total of about 20 antique, beautiful wool blankets with lovely designs, and 5 hand made quilts, and I rotate them...this is an old house and my bedroom doesn't exactly get too warm anyway, you know? I didn't know how comforting and how well I'd sleep this way except by accident...I highly recommend it! I've always slept with a lot of blankets but nothing beats the weight of a vintage wool blanket...plus the designs are out of this world beautiful! Also I've had a blast bidding on these blankets and it's a thrill when you win the bid, but if you do the ebay thing, be careful not to bid too high on any particular blanket because if you win it, you must pay for it...and remember, there will always be more blankets to bid on...just as pretty as the one you lost the bid on...this is advice from an ebay adict, :D

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 11:18 pm

It's funny this came up. I never gave much thought to why I was comforted by weighted things, but I definitely am. I like a 3-cover combination on me in bed (sheet, cotton blanket, comforter) for the weight it provides. When upset, I've always put something of weight in my lap, or used a pillow and leaned forward on it. I slept best as a kid when my cat would lay atop my blankets. Her weight felt soothing on my legs.

I never knew this meant anything.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 11:27 pm

Wabbits wrote:
Personally, I don't believe you need to buy weighted blankets, all you have to do is pile about 5 heavy wool blankets on top of you, and turn the heat down in your bedroom so that you don't get too warm...well, that's for sleeping and if I want the weight on my lap while I'm doing something, I just fold one of my extra long wool blankets to a smaller size and lay it across my lap...I've been buying way too many blankets on ebay because I have a tendency to go overboard when I take an interest in collecting something, :roll: and I inadvertantly discovered that many blankets on top of me was a good thing because I fell in love with all of the blankets I bought, and couldn't choose just one to sleep with, ended up with all of them in my bedroom, and then ended up with 3 on me, which then led to 4 and then to 5, hilarious or what? :oops: I've bought a total of about 20 antique, beautiful wool blankets with lovely designs, and 5 hand made quilts, and I rotate them...this is an old house and my bedroom doesn't exactly get too warm anyway, you know? I didn't know how comforting and how well I'd sleep this way except by accident...I highly recommend it! I've always slept with a lot of blankets but nothing beats the weight of a vintage wool blanket...plus the designs are out of this world beautiful! Also I've had a blast bidding on these blankets and it's a thrill when you win the bid, but if you do the ebay thing, be careful not to bid too high on any particular blanket because if you win it, you must pay for it...and remember, there will always be more blankets to bid on...just as pretty as the one you lost the bid on...this is advice from an ebay adict, :D

Haha i do that also, load tons tons and tons of blankets and comforters on me when i sleep and like 8 pillows, but i really need a vest for focusing and payin attention for school and etc..

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 11:33 pm

I like buckwheat pillows...I have a small aromatheraputic "comfort bag" sort of a big lavendar secnted bean bag.....and a buck wheat pillow...i don;t like having a buncha stuff piled on top of me, but I sorta wrap myself around things....I used to like body pillows...also I sorta sleep with my head underneath the pillow

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 11:34 pm

I bought a custom weighted blanket from www.weightedblanket.net (Dreamcatcher blankets) and I love it!

Don't judge them by their terrible website; the blankets are of the very best quality. I ordered a 17lb full/double bed size in amazing fabric prints that I love. The recommendation is 10% of your body wieght plus one pound, but I went over that. I'm about 115 lbs. I've had it for almost a year and now I wish it were even heavier. I use it mainly for sleeping, but sometimes if I'm super-stressed I'll curl up under it on the couch. Its difficult to move though...I guess that's why they make lap pads.

I sleep SO much better with this blanket!I had a lifetime of sleeping problems and now my blanket gets me to sleep really fast. I especially like this one because they let you choose any fabric you want. You can even send them a special fabric and they'll make that.

My blanket cost almost $200. It was worth it. I researched a lot of options and many of the cheaper ones use bad materials for the weight like seeds, pebbles, or rice. These are not washable and can ruin the fabric. My blanket is machine washable, though I haven't had to try that yet.

I highly recommend getting a weighted blanket, especially from weightedblanket.net

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 11:36 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I like buckwheat pillows...I have a small aromatheraputic "comfort bag" sort of a big lavendar secnted bean bag.....and a buck wheat pillow...i don;t like having a buncha stuff piled on top of me, but I sorta wrap myself around things....I used to like body pillows...also I sorta sleep with my head underneath the pillow

How much is a buckwheat pillow?

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 11:51 pm

ooohprettycolors wrote:
I bought a custom weighted blanket from www.weightedblanket.net (Dreamcatcher blankets) and I love it!

Don't judge them by their terrible website; the blankets are of the very best quality. I ordered a 17lb full/double bed size in amazing fabric prints that I love. The recommendation is 10% of your body wieght plus one pound, but I went over that. I'm about 115 lbs. I've had it for almost a year and now I wish it were even heavier. I use it mainly for sleeping, but sometimes if I'm super-stressed I'll curl up under it on the couch. Its difficult to move though...I guess that's why they make lap pads.

I sleep SO much better with this blanket!I had a lifetime of sleeping problems and now my blanket gets me to sleep really fast. I especially like this one because they let you choose any fabric you want. You can even send them a special fabric and they'll make that.

My blanket cost almost $200. It was worth it. I researched a lot of options and many of the cheaper ones use bad materials for the weight like seeds, pebbles, or rice. These are not washable and can ruin the fabric. My blanket is machine washable, though I haven't had to try that yet.

I highly recommend getting a weighted blanket, especially from weightedblanket.net

thanks soo much!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 7:13 am

Buckwheat pillows run at different prices..from under 20 to over 100...depending on the manufacture. There are a ton listed on ebay the last time I checked.

I was lucky to find one at a thrift store for a couple bucks. It is small and could be heavier, but it does the job.