Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2005, 10:26 am

Pessimist, am either right OR happy. Quote (paraphrased) from friend: "Under promise and over deliver". Meaning keep others hopes low and you're likely to pleasantly surprise them.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 3:55 pm

I am strictly a grumpy pessimist with regards to POLITICS and RECKLESS DRIVERS and DISCOURTESY.

However, with life in general, I am very optimistic and when I've had too much of any of the above three I revert back to the sanctity of my optimistic nature.

The more I have been acquainted with the politics of the US and hear about it almost every day (thank the Republicans) I am becoming more and more grumpy in daily life. I've started watching the news more often... Perhaps I should stop. Such greed and stupidity just angers me to no avail. Perhaps I should revert more back into my little autistic world and break out of it simply for the enjoyable things.

Or maybe I should just move out of the US...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 12:40 am

*trots on over to join Sophist in her little Autistic world :)*

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 7:20 am

I'm a pessimist but only slightly. I find it easier not to get too excited about things happening until they actually do because otherwise it is too easy to get disappointed.

However, I do have a certain degree of hope and faith so am not a complete pessimist by any means.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 4:24 pm

PhoenixKitten wrote:
*trots on over to join Sophist in her little Autistic world :)*

Ah, the more the merrier!

PS- Love your avatar :D :twisted: :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 7:10 pm

Thankyers! *grins*

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 6:14 pm

*grins back* :D :D :D

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2005, 4:39 pm

I am both a Optimist & Pessimist.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 2:10 pm

I'm usually an optimist but I have to be because I'm prone to feeling depressed. Sometimes the negativity gets on top of me, like it has done for the past couple of weeks. Trouble is there's little motivation to get myself back to being happy because down here it's a comfort zone and it feels like home ... yeah, I'll shut up :roll: So I suppose a pessimist at heart but an optimist apart from that core of pessimism.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 8:45 pm

I'm one of the most hardcore pessimists you can ever find. I hardly ever trust anything. There's this Russian proverb: "Trust, but verify" (in Russian, it rhymes). I can't possibly agree with it more.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 8:50 pm

I am a little bit of both but I am more optimist.

-SpaceCase :D

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2005, 9:41 pm

Optimist. I think people are generally good. That doesn't mean bad things can't happen or that bad people don't exist. They can, and they do, respectively. Mostly though in my experience I've found people to be good.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 3:14 pm

pesi-optimist

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2005, 3:01 pm

Realist. I don't think in terms of good or bad, just that they are what they are. (besides what is good besides a perspective?)

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 3:36 pm

Things I learned about Optimism and pessimism in "Authentic Happiness" (a book I am reading under mild protest for my positive psychology class- I am also taking the class itself under mild protest and scheduling issues- oh hell, it's fun) (also: not quoted verbatim):

Pessimists/depressed people are more accurate in remembering both good and bad events than happy people. Depressed people are more accurate in judging whether or not they are in control of something. A negative mood enables one to identify problems and therefore eliminate them. If you are depressed, it is a good time to take a test, do your income tax, and even pick where to go to college.

However, optimism has its place in thinking. If you need to be creative or generous, you should be in a good mood for that task. If you want to pick a new career, do creative writing, or think about a relationship, do it in a good mood.

Women who geniunely smiled in their high school yearbook picture (as opposed to a fake smile) were more likely later in life to be happy in their marriage and life in general. Attractiveness WAS controlled for. Smiling was the only variable.

Optimists live longer, too. In a group of nuns (all of whom lived the exact same way/ate the exact same things/etc. etc.) the nuns were assessed for positive emotion. 90 percent of the most cheerful quarter was alive at age 85 vs only 34 percent of the least cheerful quarter. 54 percent of the most cheerful quarter was alive at age 94 as opposed to 11 percent of the least cheerful quarter.

My conclusions:

Life sucks, so I'll be glad to die sooner.

((Sorry, I had to mitigate that somehow, I'm still a pessimist))

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2005, 7:47 am

Am I an optimist? Boy, I hope so!!

:wink:

Seriously, I call myself a realist, like many others do. But I also think there are positives to negative moments in your life. A family member you love may die, but that helps you to appreciate the ones you have left (I learnt this when one of my grandmothers died after 6 months of cancer and I never went to see her... when another grandmother - I actually had 3 :lol: - was hospitalised with Emphysema (sp?) I went to the hospital straight away to see her).

On a lighter note, with each of my failed relationships with girls, I've learnt something new about girls, about relationships and social life in general. Still not enough to match NTs, but I'm learning.

So, I'm an optimistic realist...

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/