Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2007, 3:11 am

just found this site...

I'm not sure how much you want to know about me. I'm a newly-married 22 year old woman/girl from Norway. At the moment I'm visiting my husband who's currently studying in Denmark and it's only over the last few weeks I've really "considered" that AS is me, so to speak.

After years of feeling like the odd one out, the weirdo and the strange girl no one likes, after years of thinking it's something wrong with me mentally and then for some time considering looking into getting, or trying for, a diagnosis and help for what I thought was bipolar disorder (not saying it's not), I read about Asperger's and thought it sounded an awful lot like me and how I act and behave. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying so, but I took this test and scored 175/200. I've also read a lot online (not only Wikipedia) and have discussed it recently with my husband, and he can see a lot of the common symptoms in me (avoiding eye-contact, problems understanding sarcasm/irony, making friends and maintaining friendship, make small-talk, taking what people say literally and answering rhetorical questions, problems with changes, the need to know what's going to happen so that I can mentally prepare myself, OCD (dermatillomania), obsessive interests, phobias, anxiety (at times) and depression, interruption, formal speech, heightened sensitivity when it comes to sounds, texture of clothes, smells and sometimes light, attention to details, dislike physical contact (unless I specifically ask for it or initiates it), problems with sounds/music and lights, and I zone out from time to time, foggy brain, extreme emotional attachment to objects). I hope I didn't scare you with that list. Not sure it covered everything, but you get the idea, I hope. I know some think it's a big no-no, but I took two online tests and got 175/200 and 39 (I think), respectively.

I don't, personally, see AS (in me) as a disability other than the fact that I don't have any 'friends', but I assume it can be for some. At this point in my life it's not causing me any 'major' problems. I study at uni, but have yet to really work. I did work at a café last year for 2-3 months (my then-fiance owned it with some then-friends of ours and I worked his hours) but after a major breakdown/melt down I had to call it quits and he sold his share. I'm scared I won't ever function in a vocational setting. I like school, but it can't last for ever. Other than that I have problems with speaking on the phone.

Anything else you want to know? :)

Myrkabah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2007, 3:20 am

Welcome, Margrethe!

There's lots of things we want to know about you, but those will come easily enough as you hang out and get to know us better (and vice versa). As it stands, you've given us quite a bit.

I hope you enjoy your stay here at WP!

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2007, 3:21 am

Thank you. I just realized that this might be better off in the 'getting to know each other'-section. It's too early in the morning for me, I think :P

Myrkabah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2007, 3:25 am

Margrethe wrote:
Thank you. I just realized that this might be better off in the 'getting to know each other'-section. It's too early in the morning for me, I think :P

Hehe, I feel you. It's almost 4 AM here, and I really need to go to sleep. I have to move tomorrow.

What kind of things do you like to do? Aspies usually have interests, so tell us about yours.

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2007, 3:34 am

I'm not sure I have 'obsessions' to the same degree as others. When I was 12 or so I was really into the Cultural Revolution. I read everything I could get my hands on. It's ranged from that to art to sociology to linguistics (soci, especially) to menstruation (believe it or not - how it's perceived in society, etc).

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 3:40 am

I'm sure you'll fit in just fine here, Margarethe. The world of work is hard, probably the hardest bit to get right. Self-employment or working alone is the usual vocational recommendation for Asperger's people. What are you studying?

Welcome to the site.

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2007, 3:43 am

Thank you.

I've studied English (language and culture, one year, started a bachelor degree, but hopped off), sociology (one year) and am now doing Nordic (language, mostly). The problem I have with studying is that I am very much into the subjects when the year starts, but then the interest fades and I have problems doing the work that needs to be done. At the moment I'm also working (volunteer) as a photographer for the student paper (for the last 4 months) and I think I'm doing mostly ok. I think self-employment would really be the way to go, I just have to figure out what I want.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 3:51 am

Sounds good, so far. I did an arts degree. I've always had problems knowing what I wanted to do, or which direction to go in. I think I mostly went in the wrong directions. :lol:

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2007, 3:53 am

I think I can of people can identify with that :P :D

Wabbits
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2007, 3:59 am

Your scores are very similar to mine, give or take one point...you'll love this site, it's very comforting...so, welcome and make yourself at home! There are a lot of good, and funny, and interesting people who post here, you've come to the right place :D

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2007, 4:07 am

Thank you - it seems like a great place from what I've read so far :)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 6:00 am

Aspie, upper range, and a Culture of One.

You will fit in here, or living alone in a cave. It sounds like you have a better deal going.

All that stuff about friends, we have obsessed on the issue, it is over rated.

The polls here about how many people will you put up with have, 0, 1, 2, and more than 2, as answers.

Aspie is a very do it yourself project. None of us are the same, but we do talk the talk.

Welcome and have fun, we are a playful lot.

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2007, 6:04 am

Thank you! :)

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 6:12 am

Welcome Margrethe, I hope you enjoy being here at Wrong Planet. :)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2007, 3:57 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!Image

hip66
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2007, 12:34 am

Hi Margrethe,
The list you gave of the traits that you identify with could just as easily have described me, (for the most part.) You are definately not alone. To us, you're perfectly normal! I was happy when I found this sight. I didn't know there were so many like me and I have found the people here to be warm, friendly, supportive, and highly intelligent. Some of the posts have made me laugh so hard I had tears running down my face.

I can relate to you about jobs and school. I am a part-time student at a local university studying social work. Like you, I start out the semester interested and motivated, but as it wears on I too lose interest and have to struggle to get my work done. (That is why I am STILL playing catch-up in my classes and the semester is almost over!) I have had so many jobs over the years that I've lost count and, sad to say, many melt-downs, (the most recent one happened yesterday in which I actually told a district level manager what to go do with himself. I guess you can tell that I don't tolerate people well.)

You are obviously highly intelligent and a delightful person. Welcome to WP; we are glad to have you.