Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 11:57 pm

Kitsy wrote:
I need to listen to their new album mythmaker again. Someone brought it up to me today and said that it was too brilliant.

So far I have to say, I've enjoyed Mythmaker more than I have any of their older albums. My favorite tracks are pedafly and ugli.

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2007, 10:21 pm

I used to love Skinny Puppy. Have you checked out any of the other side projects?

Pigface - Industrial superband with Ogre + Martin Atkins, plus a rotating group of musicians includng Trent Reznor, Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Al Jourgenson (Ministry), En Esch (KMFDM), Chris Connelly (Ministry, KMFDM), Black Francis (Pixies), Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys), Cibo Matto, +++ There's about 100 people who've been in it at any one time

Download (cEvin) - more techno-y

Doubting Thomas (cEvin) - Probably my fav side project, more mellow than oHgr, but more mature and haunting.

cEvin's also got a few solo CDs.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 11:01 pm

For anyone to really do a SP cover in good faith, I can't think of anyone I'd recommend right now - just that there's not a single artist I can think of who has the right sort of flare.

I've been kind of hoping that someone would come out of the whole nu-metal experience who decided to roll back on their own roots in Tool and SP, maybe their experiences with new skool hip-hop beats, and do something where it has all the things that were great about Skinny Puppy's sound collages, ambients, taste for tricks and stunts in the beats, but of course brought into the now just for the fact that it would be twisted up and pained industrial lyrics over what resembles chopped up and distorted 50 Cent. A band like that I could definitely endorse for doing that sort of thing, especially if I could tell that they as musicians really had a strong and compelling vision from within to where by listening there was absolutely no question that they knew exactly what they wanted out of of their sound (its bands who are like that, IMO, that have the most complete and moving styles - just because its whole, its not scrapped together).

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 11:23 pm

Scheherazade wrote:
I used to love Skinny Puppy. Have you checked out any of the other side projects?

Pigface - Industrial superband with Ogre + Martin Atkins, plus a rotating group of musicians includng Trent Reznor, Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Al Jourgenson (Ministry), En Esch (KMFDM), Chris Connelly (Ministry, KMFDM), Black Francis (Pixies), Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys), Cibo Matto, +++ There's about 100 people who've been in it at any one time

Doubting Thomas (cEvin) - Probably my fav side project, more mellow than oHgr, but more mature and haunting.

cEvin's also got a few solo CDs.

Checked out all except Doubting Thomas. Now I must check it out.

xx Dan Monster

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 11:26 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
For anyone to really do a SP cover in good faith, I can't think of anyone I'd recommend right now - just that there's not a single artist I can think of who has the right sort of flare.

I've been kind of hoping that someone would come out of the whole nu-metal experience who decided to roll back on their own roots in Tool and SP, maybe their experiences with new skool hip-hop beats, and do something where it has all the things that were great about Skinny Puppy's sound collages, ambients, taste for tricks and stunts in the beats, but of course brought into the now just for the fact that it would be twisted up and pained industrial lyrics over what resembles chopped up and distorted 50 Cent. A band like that I could definitely endorse for doing that sort of thing, especially if I could tell that they as musicians really had a strong and compelling vision from within to where by listening there was absolutely no question that they knew exactly what they wanted out of of their sound (its bands who are like that, IMO, that have the most complete and moving styles - just because its whole, its not scrapped together).

I'm now hearing in my head what that would sound like and it sounds really cool. Especially to Dig It. Assimilate, that is going to be one tough cover. I think it's because I've been listening to Assimilate on repeat so I cannot imagine it any other way.

xx Dan Monster

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 11:37 pm

Kitsy wrote:
I'm now hearing in my head what that would sound like and it sounds really cool. Especially to Dig It.

You know, I'd actually thought about that one specifically before myself. When I think of that idea though, there's a tune by Young Buck called Let Me In - the beat to that track would be awesome to do something kinda like the reverse of what Dangermouse usually, though it would still need industrial overshadowing and some subtle eerie pads in the background intermittantly to work right.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 4:21 pm

Here's another idea: a Harsh Stone White remix by either Limewax, Technical Itch, or Dylan. That would be pure filth :twisted:.

F5c_wZ3_414e_X5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jan 2008, 4:13 pm

http://processmediainc.com/titles/memoi ... k_ogre.php

This book was my obsession for a week.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 6:33 pm

Was more into this music as teenager, though still like much of it now (17 years later).

Scheherazade wrote:

Killing Joke, Ministry, KMFDM, Delerium, Revolting Co**s.
Have "Welcome to Mexico...A**hole" & "Gub" by Pigface. Not too keen on their sound, but really dig Trent Reznor's collaboration with them on the track "Suck".
Scheherazade wrote:

I know of 9 minute song called "Download' that's pretty monotonous but in a way I enjoy, by Skinny Puppy-no idea what album it's from, but pre-1994.
Have SP's "Stairs & Flowers" (2 versions), "Chainsaw", "Cage" on a black tape cassette. Have "Mind the Perpetual Intercourse" & consider it pretty good overall-first song I ever heard by them was "Dig It" on radio-took years before I was able to find out more about the group (or which track I heard, since I didn't know title & couldn't figure it out). Like "Second Tooth" from "Cleanse Fold & Manipulate", and several tracks from "Vivisect VI". The music is more appealing than the words, which frighten me (which used to be fun when I was young, but no longer). That's different from what I consider haunting, spooky (in neither silly nor gruesome way), atmospheric sound-which I quite like.
Taped couple DoubtingThomas releases from a friend when in college, "Father Don't Cry" (5 tracks) & "The Infidel" (13 tracks). "That Problem Child" is my favorite from the former, "F862", "Yowtch", and a few others are my favorites from the latter. Get a kick out of watching old episodes of "Twilight Zone" & sci-fi films, and discovering where their samples came from.