Are you embarrassed about being Jewish?

Page 1 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2007, 11:16 pm

I am. I am wondering if I am the only person with AS that feels this way. I imagine only a person with the analytical abilities of a person with AS could come to the conclusions I have about being Jewish.

I never felt this way growing up. But I feel I have been brainwashed by my parents.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2007, 11:51 pm

What's so embarrassing about being Jewish?

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 12:18 am

What denomination? And what's embarrassing?

To reply to your query, I've never felt that way.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 12:20 am

What does that have to do with being jewish? MOST of us have parents that tried to brainwash them. My mother was catholic.

I DID, early on, decide that I was NOT a believer. It seemed like I was alone and, the last time I was witnessed to, I guess I brainwashed myself. The idea of believing everything will balance out and that there is a final and just tally is nice. Alas, the concept IS stupid. There is a time value to EVERYTHING, and that includes justice.

ALSO, why are the two "chosen people" hated so much? HECK, they even hate one another! And the legal heir is discounted by the other group that is not even the legal heir in its own line! The Bible CLEARLY says that abrahams descendants will inherit, yet the Jewish and the Christians say the descendants of Jacob are the chosen people even though ESAU was the next in line, if you discount ishmael's line, and Jacob "struggled with God for the entire night".

Anyway, time is running out! They are working to build the third temple. The Bible ALREADY says that one wall is "given to the gentiles", which theologians have interpreted as the area with the mosque. Once it is built, all current prophecies will collapse and not be achievable in the current realm of understanding.

I apologize for how this sounds moslem centric. I didn't write inheritance laws, or the old testament(torah). Even the talmudic law, or is it mishnah, that recognizes the line through the woman, and may discount people of mixed heritage, obviously didn't exist with abraham. The promises were made to abraham and even SLAVES could convert. They were even said to convert en masse during hamens time! Hamen wanted to exterminate all the Jewish people but, according to the book of esther, she got the king to issue an earlier decree to allow them to hang hamen, etc...

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 1:59 am

- wrote:
What's so embarrassing about being Jewish?

I never felt comfortable around Jewish people. Their personalaties are very different. Always complaining, rude, opinionated. I hated going to Synagogue. My parents forced me to be Bar Mitzvahed.

Not to mention, being different. 90% of people are Christians in this country. I hated being the only person in class that didn't celebrate Chrirstmas.

I just felt weird. I would convert to Christianity, but my mom couldn't handle it.

Oh and newsflash! I hate to be the one that breaks this to you. But people don't exactly have a positive impression of Jews. I don't tell people I am Jewish. I tell them I am Christian.

Dating as well. I would like to date a girl that has some amount of religious faith. That becomes a catch 22 for me if I like a Christian girl. If she has some amount of religious faith, she is not likely going to want to marry a Jew.

Last edited by JWRed on 02 Dec 2007, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isaura
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2007, 2:08 am

JW, you dont have to be jewish if you dont wan to---if you refer to religion. otherwise you should be proud of your roots. going to Israel would probably help--there are a lot of fun, smart, exciting jewish people--actors, comedians, musicians. I have lots of Israeli friends, they are very warm and cool, awesome to hang out with.
i am russian who lives in the us--definitely different, but i am pround of my root and my accent

Af for Christianity--Jesus was Jewish, so was all his family, think how col it is. When you feel not accepted by Christians, remind them of your roots--you can be related to Jesus after all

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 2:15 am

Isaura wrote:
JW, you dont have to be jewish if you dont wan to---if you refer to religion. otherwise you should be proud of your roots. going to Israel would probably help--there are a lot of fun, smart, exciting jewish people--actors, comedians, musicians. I have lots of Israeli friends, they are very warm and cool, awesome to hang out with.

I don't feel comfortable around Jewish people. I can tell a Jewish person by his/her personality. I have that "aspie" sense. And 90% of the time, it is not someone I want to be around. Not necessarily dislike, but just someone I don't feel comfortable around.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 2:16 am

Hell yeah I am!

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 2:19 am

Kalister1 wrote:
Hell yeah I am!

Is it for the same reasons I mentioned?

Isaura

02 Dec 2007, 2:24 am

JW, where do you live? have you been to Israel? Jewish people are SO different, they are not all the same..but, again, you dont have to be one if you dont like it, you can be different.
My husband is jewish and I have a lot of jewish friends--they are all different, i dont think generalization works.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

02 Dec 2007, 2:24 am

JWRed wrote:
Oh and newsflash! I hate to be the one that breaks this to you. But people don't exactly have a positive impression of Jews.

Honestly, I've never in my life heard anybody speak so negatively about Jewish people as you have. The ones I've known have been incredibly kind to me in spite of my shyness.

Isaura

02 Dec 2007, 2:30 am

Stephen Spielberg, Adam Sandler, Goldie Hawn, Jerry Seinfield, Bill Gates (pretty sure he is jewish) Sergey Brin (founder of Google) majority of Nobel Prize winners, Alan Greenspan, Enstein.....they are all Jewish-genius, brilliant, very successful....Jewish people have a lot to be proud of---lots of genius musicians, writers, actors, the best doctors and scientists.....

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 2:32 am

Isaura wrote:
JW, where do you live? have you been to Israel? Jewish people are SO different, they are not all the same..but, again, you dont have to be one if you dont like it, you can be different.
My husband is jewish and I have a lot of jewish friends--they are all different, i dont think generalization works.

I live in the United States. And 90% of Jews are the same. As I mentioned, I can tell who is Jewish. Since I am Jewish and grew up around them, I know them well. Being Jewish, I had the same traits.

gwenevyn wrote:
Honestly, I've never in my life heard anybody speak so negatively about Jewish people as you have. The ones I've known have been incredibly kind to me in spite of my shyness.

Jewish people are nice. I will give them that.

I don't dislike Jewish people. It is just they are different. I am already different having AS and I do have some ethnicity in me. I don't need another reason to be different.

Isaura wrote:
Stephen Spielberg, Adam Sandler, Goldie Hawn, Jerry Seinfield, Bill Gates (pretty sure he is jewish) Sergey Brin (founder of Google) majority of Nobel Prize winners, Alan Greenspan, Enstein.....they are all Jewish-genius, brilliant, very successful....Jewish people have a lot to be proud of---lots of genius musicians, writers, actors, the best doctors and scientists......

What does that have to with personality and religious beliefs? That is the focus.

Last edited by JWRed on 02 Dec 2007, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 2:37 am

I'd be kinda embarrassed to be a part of any religion.

To each their own however.

Isaura

02 Dec 2007, 2:44 am

I ment where are you in the US? Because I live in NYC and it is quite the opposite--90% of people here ARE jewish, there are Shabbat elevators in the buildings. living in the city like NYC helps not to feel different because there are all kinds of people here.

you dont have to be jewish, it is your choice

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 2:45 am

JWRed wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:
Hell yeah I am!

Is it for the same reasons I mentioned?

Nah I wast just messing around :lol:
Im not even Jewish. Im atheist.
You talking about the race?