Dealing With People Outside Of Your Regular Routine

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 4:50 pm

Okay, so the people who know me, describe me as quirky.

Random people that I have to deal with outside of that just think of me as mostly idiotic, I think.

I had to get my car towed today. Ugh. Wouldn't start. So I have to call AAA (a car tow service). I have to talk to three different people on the phone, plus a tow truck guy, plus a car shop guy. Oh lord, that was bad.

The first person I talk on the phone with is obviously from NC, where I got my card (only, I'm in Texas now for grad school). She asks me if there's anything else she should know and I blurt out, "TEXAS!" Oh, you're in Texas? Well, I'll transfer you (and get you away from me).

The next person picks up the phone and asks, how are you? I blurt out, "TEXAS!" Oh geebus. He says, yes, you are in Texas. *headdesk*

It's the usual; I get nervous, don't know what I'm saying anyways, and my speech gets much worse.

I'll spare you the other three conversations.

Similar stories, anyone? Or commiserations? Or sympathy? I'll take pity right now too.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 5:51 pm

I'm an NT mother of a couple of Aspie sons, but I can relate to this.

To get myself through college, I took temp jobs, often as a receptionist. I hated it for the very same reason you hate situations outside of your norm -- as a temp, you are ALWAYS in new and novel situations, with new people and situations you've never dealt with before. I had a minor phone phobia because of this job -- I always felt like I was saying the wrong thing when I answered the phone -- I was constantly stuttering and stammering.

I totally commiserate.

Kris

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 6:03 pm

NT or AS or not, I'm glad it's not just me. :)

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2007, 7:51 pm

The other day I bought myself a new laptop. I am fairly good at knowing what I should be getting for my money, but this guy in the store, poor, poor guy, started talking to me, and my head just went *bzzzzzz* and I felt like such an idiot, because he had to explain things to me that I already know. Spending most of the time looking at the floor probably did not make things better. I start to feel sorry afterwards for the people I come into contact with, because I am not the sort of person to go telling everyone what I am like. Also, in my own selfish way, I kind of expect people to know how I am going to act, and they should have no problem with it.

It is like a panic button gets pressed in my head, with an alarm bell and a flashing sign that says "Warning: You are about to enter into an uncomfortable situation. All systems will shut down in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1", then I come across as stupid or something. It is not that the system does shut down, more like it is the distraction that has caused that makes me become stupid.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2007, 9:32 pm

Speedy wrote:
I start to feel sorry afterwards for the people I come into contact with, because I am not the sort of person to go telling everyone what I am like. Also, in my own selfish way, I kind of expect people to know how I am going to act, and they should have no problem with it.

It is like a panic button gets pressed in my head, with an alarm bell and a flashing sign that says "Warning: You are about to enter into an uncomfortable situation. All systems will shut down in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1", then I come across as stupid or something. It is not that the system does shut down, more like it is the distraction that has caused that makes me become stupid.

OMG! That is exactly what happens to me. Except my husband would say that I get extra bitchy or extremely backwardly shy and clingy when entering into difficult situations.

I think you're lucky if your system gives you a verbal warning and a 5 second count down. My system just crashes and eventually I end up yelling at everyone how stupid they are.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 10:06 pm

My system just starts meeping. Not beeping, but meeping.

MEEP!