Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Lonelybonesey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2008, 5:21 pm

someone told me you can feel a little more comfortable about eye contact by turning your head slightly to the side that way your half making eye contack

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 7:09 pm

The only time I feel uncomfortable with eye contact is when someone's staring at me. That makes me more self conscious than I already am...

chella
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2008, 12:37 am

Looking in peoples eyes and having them look into mine just feels uncomfortable. I never know how long I should look in them or when I should look away. I also feel like people can tell how nervous I am by looking in my eyes. I spend a lot of time while conversing with others worrying about my amount of eye contact. It's really frustrating :\

I see my therapist once a week and the whole time I'm worried about my level of eye contact. Sometimes I'll count and stay looking in her eyes for 4 seconds then look away for 4 seconds and repeat. :doh:

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2008, 4:26 am

That's one thing I never bothered about is worrying how much time I spend looking into other peoples eyes when talking. When I was young I did not make eye contact and thank God my grandparents never stressed eye contact as one of those things I had to learn in order to "survive in society on my own as an autistic adult". I was born with and have crossed eyes to this day due to brain damage so I guess eye contact was never going to be my strong suit.

I look at anything I want when talking to someone as what does it matter where I look. I do make an effort to look in the general direction of the person I am talking to. I think its disrespectful to turn your back to a person you are talking to without a valid reason they understand and agree to. I tend to look at their clothing, their body movements, their hands, the sounds and inflections in their voices, they way they tilt their heads, how move or place their legs and feet, if they fidgit I look to see is it a random or ordered pattern. Is the pattern a lengthy exact repetition or a short exact repitition. Does the pattern change in an ordered fashion and more. These patterns in a speakers behaviors give me insights into the kind of individual they are. I look at the office to get insights into the individuals personality, their loves, focused areas and dislikes. I do not get any insight into the speaker by looking into his eyes so why waste time looking there for insights I will never see or understand. I get my insights as an autistic man in the places I specified herein, those people who know me will just have to accept me for who I am.

I do tell people I speak to and care about that I am autistic, so if I do not make eye contact with you it does not signify boredom disrespect or any other negative conventional humans attribute to the behavior. Autistic's like me do not make eye contact as part of our processing of life when speaking with others. I ask that they please consent to respect the facts I have shared before we continue. Most people accept my explaination and terms and things work out fine. If they can't accept that I am different there is no use to talking with such a closed mind anyway! Walk out wishing them luck in life, they will need it!

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:14 am

Belle77 wrote:
My main problem with eye contact is that I can't concentrate on what I'm trying to say and look at a face at the same time. It's just too much for my brain to handle.

Me too.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:17 am

Khalaris wrote:
Good question. I think it's because eye contact feels kind of intimate to me. People who look at my eyes the whole time in a conversation make me feel threatened and extremely uncomfortable. There are a few people who don't do that though, but rather do the let-your-eyes-wander-around fleeting-eye-contact kind of thing. That's okay, because then I can let my eyes wander, too.

Same here.

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2008, 10:34 am

Eye contact often makes me panic and I start twitching.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 7:11 pm

The eyes have it topic

I have learned to do a 5 second eye contact and then turn away for 10 seconds. I guess I do not want people to know this about me, to know that the eye lock freaks me out. I would rather not let anyone know it bothers me. I do not like looding at men's eyes at all--this is just too much. My kids and very supportive women I allow for the 5 and 10 rule. Yet I can look at my pets' eyes. I know they accept me unconditionally.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 11:30 am

ive been told i have bad eye contact... unless im lividly mad at them... ppl have stopped me mid fight to be like, "oh, NOW you're looking at me while yelling at me!" they then go on to yell at me even more... why i had never said my true feelings before cause i can usually never look at anyone at all (ill literally turn my head away) when people yell at me or scold me and i am trying to navigate the fight... this makes them more angry btw...

when i look at people full on... i feel i am at the middle of a merry-go-round... with the world moving way too fast and i lose my balance of visual flight to keep up with my thoughts... i think like i dream in my opinion... with my eyes to roam free... to look at two eyes at once, just flings me out into orbit... nice while orgasming... but hard to talk coherently whilst it happens.

i have learned though to bounce back and forth between eyes and mouth while talking to people... though im still told i usually hold my head cocked to a side... almost looking for a way out!

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Wilco
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2008, 12:54 pm

you prefer not to have eye contact. this has nothing to do with the person you are talking with, you're not trying to offend him/her. so why is it a problem :S

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 2:54 pm

Wilco wrote:
you prefer not to have eye contact. this has nothing to do with the person you are talking with, you're not trying to offend him/her. so why is it a problem :S

they dont know that though...... it's insulting... and shows disinterest or disdain.... boredom... all kinds of things.

im not that bad unless in a fight or when upset... then i cant even really look at them at all... but im used to talking to people... have had to teach for some time now...

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 11:57 pm

I don't really know how to make eye contact normally. Actually, I've recently been able to make normal eye contact with the one or two people I'm most comfortable around. With anyone else, it's really awkward. I think about it a lot and worry that I'll look at the person the wrong way. Sometimes I do accidentally make the wrong kind of eye contact. It's scary!

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2008, 12:00 am

You are a lot better than me at this. I did not even know there was such a thing as the wrong kind of eye contact!

NightsideEclipse
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2008, 12:12 am

My only issue with eye-contact is that I am never completely certain how long I should look before looking away. Thus, I fear the occurance of either wandering eyes or staring on my part. If I must do it imperfectly, I try to err on the side of looking away too much rathen than the alternative, which I would imagine has a greater potential to be perceived as creepier.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:58 am

Alphawolf wrote:
You are a lot better than me at this. I did not even know there was such a thing as the wrong kind of eye contact!

i never knew until i was in grad school... getting 60 teaching evals per term saying as much... as well as other things. then i read an article randomly on AS.... ding ding ding! we had a winner

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jan 2008, 4:30 pm

Direct eye contact makes me very uncomfortable unless I am very trusting and familiar with a person.

I have no problem looking at people's eyes--in fact I often look at their eyes if being spoken to, as long as they are not looking at me--but as soon as they make eye contact, I look away. It's 100% instinctual.

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman