Conscripts with mental disorders to be abused

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2007, 5:39 am

What are the countries with compulsory military service attitude towards pre-enlistees with mental disorders?

I am not talking about mentally ret*d or exremely dangerous psychotic people, but merely people with
OCD, social phobia and anxiety disorders.

Does Germany draft people with these mental disorders into the military?
What about Greece? Singapore? Turkey? China? Finland? Sweden?

TheZach
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2007, 7:49 am

I know in America its a no no - you cant even join voluntarily.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thezach.net/blog">My Blog</a>

Mc_Jeff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2007, 9:25 am

I joined, had to drop out and delay my enlistment. In the interem I got diagnosed with Aspergers, and then they wouldn't let me go back.

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2007, 9:44 am

Quote:
I joined, had to drop out and delay my enlistment. In the interem I got diagnosed with Aspergers, and then they wouldn't let me go back.

What country?

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 9:45 am

I don't doubt that enlistees who are seen as weak/socially challenged tend to get picked on in the military.

However, for officers with such mental disorders, it depends. If you're an aspie, you're more likely to just get on with orders and not be stressed out and upset by all the death and suffering around you, and be a more effective commander in some situations.

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2007, 9:51 am

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:R6 ... da|lang_en

Mentally ill are treated while they do their military duty. How can you do this? Mentally ill people need to rest and get out of stressful situations, otherwise treatment won't help!

monty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 10:08 am

The draftee military in Greece bites - an uncle deferred his service and became captain of a large ship. Then he had to go, and he was assigned to menial tasks for his term of service. The professional (career) military is somewhat better. When I visited in the 1980's, draftees got room, board, and $3 a week.

I'm guessing that Germany has more in the way of therapy and alternative service for people with diagnosed disorders. But that is just a guess.

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2007, 4:36 am

No answers? Are there nobody from Singapore, Greece or Germny here to tell about the
conditions of mentally ill in their countries when talking about conscription?

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 1:24 pm

In the U.S. you cannot join the army if you have taken a psychoactive medication within the past six months or have taken such a medication and the condition the medication was intended to treat is still present.