Are you very attached to your pets?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AliceinOz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2007, 6:19 am

One of my dogs is in a lot of pain with a chronic leg injury and we are having to face the possibility of having her euthanased. I am devastated as she is one of main supports. She is an incredible dog and helps me calm down when nothing else will. I've had her since she was five weeks old and the thought of her going is unbearable. I worry that, despite everything else I have overcome, this will break me.

Does anyone else feel this attached to their pets?

Wabbits
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2007, 6:33 am

I am extremely attached to my dogs. Can you have the leg amputated? Your dog can get by on three legs, she'll just have to learn how, and most dogs learn how if they lose a leg...is amputating an option?

AliceinOz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2007, 6:45 am

Unfortunately she has ligament probs with both back legs. I don't mind if she is lame and happy but wouldn't I be cruel to keep her alive and in pain just because I didn't want to lose her? Part of her problem is that her brain doesn't get the message that parts of her body can't do what she used to be able to do.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 6:52 am

Constantly remind yourself of how much love you have given to your dog and always be thankful for having this dog regardless of knowing that this pet must one day be let go of. Also, realize that the pain you're going to feel indicates to you how alive you are. The more one loves, the more one will grieve over the loss of the beloved...but that does not mean you can't love again and enjoy other bonds with other pets in the future.

Wabbits
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2007, 6:54 am

I saw a dog on tv with a little handmade wagon type wheelchair that it's hindquarters rested on....it got along fine...as for your dog, only you know how much pain the dog is in, and it sounds like she's had plenty of medical care; putting a dog I loved down was the hardest thing I've ever had to do...it just killed me too, for a very long time.

UnrelentingHorror
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2007, 6:35 am

AliceinOz wrote:
One of my dogs is in a lot of pain with a chronic leg injury and we are having to face the possibility of having her euthanased. I am devastated as she is one of main supports. She is an incredible dog and helps me calm down when nothing else will. I've had her since she was five weeks old and the thought of her going is unbearable. I worry that, despite everything else I have overcome, this will break me.

Does anyone else feel this attached to their pets?

I get pretty attached to my pets. One dog I had was verry special to me. She was a german shephard rottweiler mix and the sweetest, cutest, smartest, and most protective dog I've ever met.
Well one day it got that she couldnt really walk anymore, it just sort of happened like her legs gave up. The worst part was is that she would keep trying to get up on her trembling legs to get over to me and comfort me right until the end and I had to try and make sure she didn't move.
So I ended up takeing her to the vet the next day cause it didn't get better and the vet looked at it and said it wasn't going to really, I forget what exactly he said it was but it was mostly just old age she was 13 years old.
So she had to be put down and I was there for it and I petted her and everything while it all happened and she just kind of calmed down like she was takeing a nap and closed her eyes and then she was gone.

I know its sad when a pet needs to be put down, and I miss that dog still sometimes. The thing is though I know its better this way as much as I would have liked her to stay it would have been horrible and selfish and cruel of me to make her stay in all that pain just so I could maybe be happy a little bit. Besides I wouldn't have wanted to remember her how she would have been after all that, I like that I was able to keep the memories of the better times.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is if they can fix it thats wonderful and great, but if they can't remember that it will be for the better and it may be hard but things will be ok. I know you said your pet was a big support to you but I've found that things have a way of working out you know? So I think you'll be fine.
I'm not sure what religeous beliefs you may have if any but I can't really think of a single scenario where I should feel bad about helping my dog out of her agony, so thats gotta be ok then right?

Well I hope you make it through your ordeal well and I hope for the best for your pet.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 2:05 pm

My dogs are my life and I'm more attached to them than to people (except my husband). It was devastating several years ago when I had to have my first dog euthanized because he had tongue cancer and couldn't eat or drink on his own. But I knew it was the right decision for his sake. You'll know when it's time...just try to remember all the good times you've had. I cherish those memories and the pictures I have of him.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 3:48 pm

I am very attached to my dog.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 4:25 pm

I'm attached to my dog only because he shows affection toward me. I'm not really attached to my spider or hermit crab because they don't give a s**t about anything but their own existence.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 4:52 pm

I'm very attached to my cats. Animals are much more loyal than humans.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 7:55 pm

They certainly are!

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 8:00 pm

yes I am

Surtr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2007, 10:24 pm

You want my honest opinion? I like my pets more than I like my family, I could care less when my cousin died (he bullied me, and generally ignored me at family functions) however I got upset when my cat died, so take that as you will.

egodeus59
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2007, 3:05 pm

I'm really attached to my pet rats, espessaly the older one. The only sad thing about it is they only live about three years.

IcelandicGuy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2007, 6:04 pm

I was really attached to my cat but unfortunately I had to euthanize him a few days ago, I´m really gonna miss him. :cry:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 9:55 pm

I had to euthanise my cat, when she had cancer. It was hard, because I'd had her for eleven years. But when she couldn't keep food down, after the surgery, and the vet was suggesting chemo, I refused. She wouldn't have understood why she was being made to suffer, just so I could keep her around. People can at least understand or seek to understand physical pain, but animals don't have that capacity. I had a friend whose cat got sick. It was pretty old, but my friend had this cat on all kinds of medicines, injections, etc. The cat died anyway. I felt it was unspeakably cruel, but that was her choice, I guess.