Boom in adults with autism prompts need for jobs (Newsday)

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 10:20 am

Boom in adults with autism prompts need for jobs

BY DELTHIA RICKS. [email protected]

The population of young adults with autism has been booming nationwide, experts said Friday as they shined a spotlight on the need for jobs and support programs.

The first large group has reached young adulthood, said Joanne Gerenser of Eden II, which provides services on Long Island and in New York City.

Gerenser, one of several experts who addressed a conference in Melville, said an 800 percent growth rate in children with autism over the past 20 years is translating into an explosion of adults with the condition.

more...

- Emerson

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 10:35 am

Oh dear, does this mean they'll now actually have to provide real assistance for Austitics at jobs? I'm not holding my breath. :roll:

Ozzy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2007, 10:46 am

Is it just me or does anyone else feel their should be an asterisk "*WARNING RESULTS MAY VARY" next to Gerenser's statement? "What a great workforce people with autism are," Gerenser said. "They don't lie, they don't gossip and they're always on time."' Granted we're hard workers...but...I'd say that's a stereotype. But, I'm comfortable milking the stereotype nonetheless. ; )

-Ozzy

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 10:51 am

One of the things that concerns me is we're still talking about the people who were diagnosed as kids - this is the first generation diagnosed as children that they want to give services to. Fine, but what about those of us who are diagnosed or discover we have an ASD as adults? We still don't exist?
It's good that they may be focussing on this, but there needs to be wider acceptance that it's not just those who've grown up knowing they're affected by autism who may need help.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 12:06 pm

I posted a link to this thread in the comments section of the article.

- Emerson

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 1:24 pm

"Just about everybody knows that you don't adjust your underwear in public," Myles said. "But people on the autism spectrum aren't aware of this."

^^This quote made me :lol:

Only 12% of people with high-functioning Autism have jobs?!?!
I wonder if that includes Aspergers?

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 1:43 pm

thyme wrote:

I doubt it - with something like 50% of aspies undiagnosed, they have to be supporting themselves somehow. But honestly, with such a low level of diagnosis, I take pretty much any statistic on autism with a healthy spoonful of salt. It's why my bloodpressure is so high.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 7:33 pm

12% of the treated have jobs, almost all of the untreated do.

The majority I have run across in 61 years were business owners.

Bill Gates can deny, but I see a typical pattern. Had an obsession, made it into a business.

The high tech repair field, clocks, cameras, scientific, was all Aspie. Most good mechanics, machinests, I know one with his own molding shop, NASA comes to him, because he does not have standards, he builds the best than can be built. Same reason I go there.

Now with training we can be the mail room boy for life?

Poor NTs are undercompensated for screwing up people's lives?

I am also looking for Aspies/HFA, writers, artists, IT, for an all Aspie/HFA startup. I am ofering advanced training in Media, Animation, and Business. It comes with housing, food, and great people to work within a hundred yards of. It is Aspie Adaptive. I am not sure what that means yet. I am just tired of explaining myself to the world. Some will be on site, others by Intenet.

We need a set. Arts will pay for it, but you would not like my cooking, I will eat the same thing every day. We need cooks and bakers. Those on disability will be kept on disability, and we will game the system for all it is worth. Therapy and job training for life. The course of treatment runs 100 years.

Also need Aspies with Degrees, Speech, Motion, Teaching, for I can really bill for that. It would help if you had a minor in Manga, and were a video game coach.

The core business is publishing, and fine art print making. I am selling enough to cover the overhead. The direction of expansion is small magazines, comics, Manga, illustration, animation, game design and testing. The existing staff is strong in Graphic Design, Art, Writing, and Print Technology.

Compensation runs from you can pay me Tuition, The School, plus room and board, or we can deal on room and board, job training, therapy, sheltered workshop, anything I can find funding for, while protecting disability status. Work in exchange for room and board. Work with a paycheck, and training. Higher paid positions in Treatment, Education,whatever funding I can find, and we do need treatment. I do.

Advancement comes from Obsession Groups forming and working their own crowd. I am an Aspie, everything is better at a distance. Two blocks, your own building, with all of the basic support services.

Aspie Perception is consistant, and different. I think we are a natural Think Tank. Over Think Tank. People will pay for opinion, our's has range.

I have no idea what it will be like. When Aspies meet I get mixed reports. I think they are slow to adapt, so what would it be after a month? It has never been tested. No reports of fist fights or mass murder yet, so I will give it a try.

My first interest is in Publishing, and all related arts. Then support, food, therapy, a nanny, remodeling housing. Other obsessions are welcome to apply, for we all fit somewhere.

Expect a period of cultural adjustment.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2007, 11:32 pm

What?! You can't adjust your underwear in public?!?

:lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 8:57 am

I'm in the process of turning my art into my business. Unique and original artwork that you won't see from any other artist. I've been thinking a lot about Ebay.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 2:39 pm

Rynessa wrote:
What?! You can't adjust your underwear in public?!?

:lol:
Yep! 15years-life at the Judge Rotenburg Centre for a third offence.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2007, 4:41 pm

I must say I was DX'ed when I was 4.5 in 1987, back in my day and where I was (NJ) they did nothing for ya. I spent years in special Ed. I moved to NY in 1991, spent another 2 years in special ed before being mainstreamed. I had no services, but thats cool cause I do fine as an adult.

I think that now days their is soo many services for children now DX'ed that their is no hope for them to live a normal life. SOme need stuff, others (like myself) just needed to develope and learn on my own, having a normal childhood was important, because anything less and I would have not done have as good in life I feel.

Definatly, for those of you who also had mostly a normal childhood, DX'ed or not (until adult hood or thinking of it) count your blessings, cause children with ASD's now may spend a good portion of their childhood in theripy.

Their is no better theripy then living a normal childhood, you learn on your own, learn to socialize and take care of yourself. To this day I am pissed that I was put in special ed cause I was too smart for that, but too akward for mainstream. I really had nowhere to go in those days.

AliceinOz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2007, 6:13 am

thyme wrote:
"Just about everybody knows that you don't adjust your underwear in public," Myles said. "But people on the autism spectrum aren't aware of this."

^^This quote made me :lol:

that'll make me smile the next time I see someone fishing elastic from their nether regions

AliceinOz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2007, 6:17 am

Inventor wrote:
12% of the treated have jobs, almost all of the untreated do.

I have wondered if I would have had fewer opportunities had I been diagnosed earlier.