Has anyone been wrongly diagnosed with personality disorder?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

F5c_wZ3_414e_X5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2007, 1:34 pm

I was diagnosed with schizotypal disorder, but i have nothing in common with people who actually have it.

insomniakat
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2007, 2:25 pm

Bigbang wrote:
I was diagnosed with schizoid and narcissic personnality disorders by the same psychiatrist... but that was prior of knowing anything about asperger syndrome. I still need an official DX, but I believe AS sums up my issues way better than those two personnality disorders, which I can hardly relate to.

How funny. I think schizoid personality disorder fits me way better than Asperger's, but my sensory issues suck and I'm having problems at work because of them (plus not understanding people). :oops: I've learned more social issue stuff that I didn't know I was doing wrong here and in Asperger's books.

My shrink and a therapist who specializes in personality disorders said I didn't have it though, because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Mind you, that is not in the wiki description...so perhaps I don't know what schizoid is really about...

-Terry Pratchett, Jingo - Discworld

fallensamurai

10 Jan 2008, 10:04 pm

I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder for many years before the professionals realized it was AS instead. One doctor also claimed I had Schizotypal Personality disorder. Now I'm just an Aspie!

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 11:19 pm

I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, schizoid personality disorder before I learnt I was diagnosed with Kanner syndrome as a child.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 11:59 pm

same here, was diagnosed with ptsd, anxiety disorder and others before aspergers.....