a diificult situation I need advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

sassyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2007, 10:06 am

one day one colleague told me the story of an old colleague who had moved to another place. She said that the girl realized that she was bad and criticized by customers so she had to resign from her position. I asked her whether the managers said anything, and she told me that of course no where the board of managers will tell you directly that they sacked you, but you had to learn to realize your own position and withdraw, at least they would give you a good reference when you would want to move to another workplace. She also said a couple of things, which pointed out that the decisions to sack anyone has already been made.

I found this shocking...I was terrified. Several weeks ago, this colleague told my close friend I was under criticism from customers and the manager told her that she was worried about me and would not promise to keep me. My friend advised me to talk to her because she was close with the manager. I talked to her and she told me the same thing. (Later my friend told me she was told off by my colleague for letting me know the information because it was not the "right time"). Okay and about the conversation I told her that I was trying my best to improve myself, and she told me "your performance will tell".

So I was always under pressure from work b/c I know that I was criticized by some customers (Actually I read the customers' commens and knew it before my friend told me, but I didn't know that my boss was worried about me). And on that day when my colleague told me the story of that girl, I felt like quitting...I felt that my colleague was right, that i'd better look for another job, at least to keep good relationship with current employer.

I asked my close friend and she told me not to stop working. I called my mom crying and my dad told me that if my boss wants to sack me, they will have to mak the announcement in another way and told me not to trust my colleague completely.

Now I do not want to stop working here any more, but still I am very puzzled about the situation. I am still scared if I will talk to my colleague again. My dad said I must always try to prove my own ability and be helpful towards all colleagues and customers.

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2007, 12:09 pm

In my previous job, I chose to quit. I wasn't getting good reviews on my job and I myself was realizing I wasn't really performing at the appropriate level expected of me. No one had said outright that it was time for me to go and even seemed to want to give me second chances, but I knew I wasn't gonna improve because I was starting to slip into depression, which meant my work performance was gonna get even worse. I decided to make a clean break and give my two weeks so that there was no ill will between me and the company and therefore could still use the company as a positive reference.

I still don't know if this was the right thing to do, as I did not have a new job waiting for me after I quit. Withdrawing and quiting also did a number on my self-esteem. I had felt like a failure.

My take on your situation based on what I've went through:
Start applying and see if you can have a job waiting for you. If you get an offer, then you can analyze your situation with new eyes knowing now that you have an alternative to the job that you're currently in. Of course, you'd have to make a decision whether you want to tough it out in your current job or try a new environment with new challenges that may fit better with you. You won't have long to make this decision as the new job won't be waiting long and you can't really stall. Hopefully, between the interview and if/when they call back, you've already decided whether you want to stay or go from your current job by this time. And even if you decide to stay on your current job, you can still go to any job interviews, if only to practice your inverviewing skills, even though you know won't take the job. When they call up and offer, you can say (white lie), "Thank you, but I've already taken another company's offer," and they'll back away.

I advise strengthening yourself on your current job. If you must leave, leave with confidence and dignity. I didn't and it's been hard to retrieve a semblance of confidence and dignity since then.

Basically, have the right exit strategy available and I don't think you'll stumble and fall as much as I've had.