What Would You Do With 1 Trillion Dollars?

Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 12:52 am

It is estimated that the budgetary costs of the Iraq war will exceed $1 Trillion and could run as high as 2 Trillion

http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... e15499.htm

If you have a little trouble grasping just how large 1 Trillion is: I put this into perspective. Remember this is a conservative estimate:

What will 1 Trillion Dollars Purchase?

5 Million $200,000 houses. Approximately enough houses for a population 5 times the state of Rhode Island

2 Million Registered Nurses at a starting salary of $50,000/year for 10 years

333,333,333 $3000 computers enough for every single individual in the United States and still have tens of millions of computers left over to donate to 3rd world countries.

Health insurance premiums for 166,666,666 people for a period of 1 year assuming a monthly premium of $500

40,000,000 new automobiles costing $25,000 apiece

10 million $100,000 scholarships to a 4-year college

HIV-Related research at the National Institutes of Health is slightly under $3 Billion Dollars/Year. The cost of the Iraq war is estimated at $200 Million/Day. In 15 days we would spend the entire budget for HIV-related research at the NIH.

You could take what we spend on the Iraq war for 1-day and provide a $100 luxury dinner for every resident living within the city limits of Phoenix, AZ and still have enough left over for everyone within the city limits of Atlanta, GA

You could provide round the clock care at $30/hour 24/7 for 761 people for a period of 1 year with what we spend on the war in Iraq in 1-day and still have enough left over to buy 3 of those brand new computers that I mentioned above and still walk away with enough to treat you and someone else to those luxury $100 dinners I mentioned above.

If you were in the hospital and were paying a total cost of $5,000/day for your hospital stay, 1-day’s spending on the Iraq war could provide 10 days of care for 4000 people

With 1-day’s spending on the Iraq war we could provide one-year prescription drug assistance($200/month) for 83,333 people (which would be enough for the entire city of Cranston, Rhode Island-with over 80,000 residents)

If we were to have taken $100 Million or $200 Million dollars and hosted a summit at Camp David with our allies in the Arab world on what to do with Saddam Hussein could we have had a better outcome than what Bush has been try to do militarily? Is the cost of the Iraq war so far worth the benefits achieved?

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 12:53 am

remake Invisible Touch 8)

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 1:25 am

I wonder how many people you could have killed, including presidents. The extremely wealthy don't need to vote. They can veto the president's existence.

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2007, 1:34 am

LOL, cure Autism?

Seriously, FEED people, protect them from the elements, educate people, save lots of cats (ok and dogs), develop technology, OMG, buy shoes at Saks?

What a waste. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We need to remember…

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 1:39 am

ah yes cure myself
and anyone else who wanted it :)
I'd make the cure!!

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2007, 5:19 am

i would keep 1 billion for m,yself to live comfortably, and use the rest to form my own charity to help third world countries

Drool_Thingy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Dec 2007, 6:11 am

I'd want to use the money for scientific research and to buy up land to conserve endangered ecologies. I'd love to fund a telescope that could hunt for Earth-like planets around other stars.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 7:18 am

I would do whatever I pleased. :)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

edal
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 4:25 pm

Fresh food and clean water for every man, woman and child on Earth.

Ed Almos

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 4:34 pm

Build a recording studio and hire a bunch of musicians to play and record my music.

Perhaps a bunch of personal chefs too...

When you get a bunch of money, it's all about getting services done... that's the way to live the good life.

Edit: now I just read the thread and realized that I'm quite the selfish bastard... :?

Yeah, I get a trillion dollars... and I only think about myself.

But perhaps the music I make could bring joy to the world... yes that's it... it's not selfish at all... :roll:

Edit 2: While it's a lot of money, the miliarty is all about using high tech stuff right? This costs big dollars, you can't really compare it to 'everyday' items for average people.

Plus this money goes to pay soliders and researchers of the technology... and the politicians who work so hard to think up the proper spin to put on a war... they need mansions too... :(

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2007, 4:42 pm

Pay my friends' escalating medical bill.
Donate. Donate. And donate.

Then I'd get myself a cosy little flat somewhere in Japan.
And donate some more.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 4:44 pm

A trillion is a lot. I'd keep 2 billions and give the rest to charity. There's no f*****g way I'll find a way to spend up one trillion dollars. :)

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 6:58 pm

A new computer that can compete against PC and Mac. It will come with equivalent of ms-office visual-python, all the web stuff, Linux emulator, win emulator, a couple of free games.

I will also design prefab houses and apartments.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 7:00 pm

ahh the freinds I would help...

I'd buy Belle a big home :)
build a replica of the kremilin
a statue of Phil Collins for no real reason :lol: 8)
various charities-cure my AS
and others as well
make the world know who I am, etc :twisted:

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 7:12 pm

Worry about losing it all in a market crash :P

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 7:17 pm

I'd want to put it towards some worthy cause, but I'm not sure what. I wouldn't want to keep much for myself - I'd rather earn my money and live a minimalistic lifestyle.