Are you worried about Political Correctness?

Page 1 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Are you worried?
Yes! It's eroding freedom of speech! 58%  58%  [ 38 ]
No! 28%  28%  [ 18 ]
Not sure 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Other 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 65

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 8:42 pm

I sure as hell am worried. I bet my 2025, anyone in the United States will be thrown in jail for saying anything bad about any minority (Not sure about the UK).

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 9:13 pm

I am so f**king sick of PC. It will be the death of everyone.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Dec 2007, 9:56 pm

yes

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 10:56 pm

OK the poll isn't clear
Worried can be taken either way 8O
I voted NO i'm not concerned and anyone wanting me to be PC can go blow themself.
now i'm thinking I should've voted YES
wtfever :P

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 11:50 pm

fück political correctness

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 11:59 pm

PC FTW!

^ Was that politically incorrect?

Elemental
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2007, 12:48 pm

No. And I'm saying this as a white English-speaking middle-class heterosexual male. 99% of the time I hear "political correctness", it's from the mouth of someone offensive attempting to explain how it's just fine to be offensive because "at least I'm not being PC!".

I have no doubt that some idiots take the use of proper terminology too far and that some people will use it as a weapon to make others feel uncomfortable, but a lot of the furor about the PC menace seems to have been severely exaggerated (for example, the use of "personhole" instead of "manhole" never actually happened in real life, and was originally in a book intended to satirise the concept, but still gets repeated as an example of politcal correctness gone mad).

I think we can all agree that some terms are unacceptable to refer to people, and that using them in public discource will create a perception of that group as being inferior or even subhuman. For example, would you think it's harmless if most people go around referring to people with Aspergers as "ret*ds"? The term itself may be harmless, but it would create an environment where a lot of us would feel more uncomfortable and unwelcome in mainstream society. In addition, the "sanction" that the language gives to the notion that people with AS are inferior can easily lead to more severe expressions of contempt.

I think we can also agree that definitions shift over time, and a word that was legitimate fifty years ago might have picked up unpleasant connotations since then, and should be disued. The question, as always, is where the line is drawn.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 1:45 pm

Cyanide wrote:
I sure as hell am worried. I bet my 2025, anyone in the United States will be thrown in jail for saying anything bad about any minority (Not sure about the UK).

Your in luck! Shifting demographics indicate that soon, no one in the US will be in the majority. Imagine how pleasant it will be when everyone has that protection. ;)

I tend to agree with Elemental.

Mc_Jeff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2007, 2:05 pm

f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k political correctness.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 6:52 pm

Mc_Jeff wrote:
f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k political correctness.

I've never understood how that verb is used as something negative.

Or the fact that our media is so saturated with violence (you can show everything), but has traditionally been less permissive when it comes to sex.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 9:13 pm

monty wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Your in luck! Shifting demographics indicate that soon, no one in the US will be in the majority. Imagine how pleasant it will be when everyone has that protection. ;)

I tend to agree with Elemental.

I'm sure all the anti-white and anti-male things will stay in place though.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:18 pm

I don't understand this PC s**t at all, it's supposed to be a structure that fights bigotry and intolerance, but really it's just reverse bigotry..... I don't think flipping the script and discriminating against whites, males, heteros, etc. is the most progressive way to fight ignorance.... If anything theyr just putting a new face on ignorance (their own ignorance).
I mean political correctness means minorities are always right just because theyr minorities, and if you question anything they do your "racist" or "sexist" or whatever.... I'm sorry but I am a **real open minded*** person, meaning minorities are not always right, neither are the majority always right. If people hate thinking so damn much and hate analyzing a situation, then they shouldn't be so rambo about debating something they've never given honest thought to.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:29 pm

Let me elaborate, how PC got big amoung white straight males too, mainly because
1. They lack confidence in their individuality, and in a pathetic attempt to find it they end up conforming to the same set of ideas as a thousand other people, thereby destroying their individuality. Much like high schoolers do (and this goes for right wingers AND left wingers).... They also choose a clique out of those 2 that connects to their blind emotions (since both wings lead people by blind emotion).
2. w/m/hs left wingers go for liberalism because theyr sooooooo scared of being called racist or sexist that they are willing to back up an ideology that is biased against them.... It's mostly out of fear and out of their feeling for needing to fit in and conform to a group in this ret*d culture war between the right and left.

-- right wingers usually all side with the right wing, in most cases, out of complexes of religious superiority and religious hatred or inconsideration of other faiths (or lack of), so a female black republican would be much like a male white democrat in this way.

This all points to one thing, people who define their views under a label are stupid, their so riddled with negative emotions clouding their judgement they can't make a rational decision to save their lives. Right or left wing, I don't care. Ignorance is ignorance is ignorance. I wish people would just wake up, open their minds, grow some balls and think for themselves. But, to borrow a quote I guess I am "just a dreamer".

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:33 pm

I simply don't care either way. I shall talk how I like.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:38 pm

I'm not. PC seems to be this hideous overcompensation for any social wrong done to any social group in the course of U.S. history (when I say the U.S. I don't see the Mongolians beating themselves to a pulp over their empires of the early middle ages, I don't see Japan self-flogging for butchering Chinese in WWII). However, as time goes on and as generations progress - ie. our generations have kids and their parents are politically correct, they have kids and its their grandparents who are politically correct, the longer it lives and the farther real 'racism' gets removed from their realites the more it will just leave a bad taste in everyone's mouths.

When I look at the first group this really seemed to start with in the U.S. is African Americans and from what I can see, with people of all cultures who are my age, it really seems like we're all peers and we don't really give much of a d--- about it. No one seems quick to pull slurs, no one seems quick to act offended, everyone's finally learing how to chill because it feels like the whole threat and the whole push to think that way is fading right along with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

I'm just saying that political correctness is one of those temporary bandaids which will probably last about 20 or 30 years and the whole idea is it sticks around specifically that long to where you have generations raised with it, you have the generations before it passing on, and once its run its course and gotten the job done it starts fading more to the background. Yeah, you'll still see issues some time with certain things but still, maybe its just me getting older but it seems like the whole thing has been rolling backward a lot with all specific groups that I've seen it with as more people get their heads around things and as they can feel safer about being themselved.

And as for if someone did try to go PC-nazi on me about something that was taken way out of context, I can usually rip their argument to shreds, shut them up, and if they're too loopy to make much sense it usually stands to reason that anyone within listening range will be shaking their head sadly like "Wow, I'm real sorry he/she's talking to you - thank god its not me though".

monty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:49 pm

As a white male hetero, I really don't feel discriminated against.

If political correctness means that minorities are always right, then there is no political correctness in the US. Complaints about discrimination seldom make it to court, and even when they do, most plaintiffs lose.

While talking to a friend about her work place, I did hear about 1 person (a 'minority') pulling the race card. But this whole abstract left wing/right wing political mentality did not get invoked as people imagine it does. People responded to the charges personally, defended themselves, and showed that the accuser had a poor work record and was to blame. The only thing the accuser got was a letter in her personell file and egg on her face.

I think the some white male heteros have developed a victimhood complex and are blaming women and minorities for their failures. This country remains a place where there is an amazingly high level of opportunity. Stop whining and take advantage of it.

Last edited by monty on 07 Dec 2007, 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.