Poll ended at 06 Jan 2008, 12:55 am
Yes 88%  88%  [ 89 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 101

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 1:57 am

Females can be the worst bullies to deal with. They’re great at making your self-esteem drop to nothing in just a few well placed words. They come off as giving friendly advice and you don’t realize what has just happened until you’ve had some time to think about it.

I haven’t been pushed around since college. Even then, their idea of bullying was purposely excluding me from interacting with other students by spreading rumors.

LogicAndJeans
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2007, 2:40 am

I was bullied through school and I still do get bullied in workplaces. In high school I started to come back at them with witty comments in front of their friends and that got me out of being bullied too much, I still got bossed around by friends. I'm better now, but I had the habit of just taking it and taking it and then finally I would crack and abuse the person and they would be all shocked... They wouldn't do it again though.

But in workplaces I do stick up for myself... I am still the target though and all of the other co-workers just watch. The worst are the people who make jokes to embarrass and belittle you. It's worse because that kind of joking is acceptable in offices.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 2:57 am

I was bullied for the way i ran, what i wore, how i talked, how i was totally immature for every age i was haha. I couldn't run right at all, it was more like an awkward gait, i only wore sweats or jogging suits haha, i couldn't barely talk, everything sounded like gibberish with an accent lol, and i always acted like i was at least 6 years younger then i was!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 3:01 am

all the time. :(

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 4:56 am

Bullied for being naive, and got myself sucked into the wrong crowds that pretty much used me as a toy. I try not to focus too much on it, no matter the damage done. I have to keep a positive outlook on things, otherwise it is a one way ride down for me.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

07 Dec 2007, 5:01 am

Eire wrote:
skahthic wrote:
It's kinda odd how it's still more often the teased boy that "snaps" and shoots up his school. Not too many girls do anything like that--- what is that?

I've been thinking about that too, how I've never heard of a girl/woman shooting up a place. I have to admit in middle and high school I thought about it on occasion, but I never would have really done it.

I was bullied all throughout my school years. As a result, one week before I left high school, I bought a weapon to school (am not saying what) and was planning to kill the bullies. Of course, I didn't though.
It was a reality check for me though, that I should NOT have be attending school that day.

I am sooo glad that the weapon was not found inside of my school bag or I would have been arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a weapon with intention to injure.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 8:05 am

In elementary school I was beat up and harassed constantly. They knew I was in special ed, and attended mainstream class sometimes. I was called a bocey and bullied the entire time.

In middle school similar problems, and was terrified of the lockerroom fearing I would get whipped, I got into a few fights, never got hurt to bad tho.

In high school I was not bullied so much, picked on yes, but I think since I had some older friends who were pretty big, I had some senior friends when I was a freshman who when in elementary school protected me sometimes from bullies my age that discouraged alot of that. Towards the end of high school I actually gained a little popularity, tho I was involved in things I should not have been in order to attain it.

I was bullied a little bit at work by one individual who is pretty huge, I did not wanna mess around, however that has subsided, I am a hard worker and have helped him, as a result I kinda smoothed things over.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 8:13 am

I'm a mother of two aspie boys.

The oldest (now 21) was bullied in his elementary years. When he was very young, and I knew he was being bullied by a kid I provided day-care services for, I went to their school, talked to the bully at recess, and basically said "you don't want to do what you've been doing ever again, do you understand?". I made sure that I didn't word it as a threat, but that's basically what it was, and he knew it. He was very young, and probably going through a rough time himself (parents divorced later that year), but I couldn't let the bullying continue. I also spent lots of time with this child during daycare, kidding with him and joking with him, playing with him -- but I let him know that bullying my kid was NOT ok.

My son was bullied right up until the sixth grade. We had just moved to a new location, and some snot-nosed rich kid was bullying my son. My son tells me (I'm not really sure if this was true) that he'd had enough, and punched the kid in front of everyone. The kid never bugged him again -- in fact nobody bugged him again. My son developed a wicked, sarcastic sense of humor, and he never had to deal with bullying again.

My younger son is SO innocent. If he's ever bullied, I would never know it, because he comes home so cheerful and happy. I think(?) that the bullying programs are so strong in his elementary and middle schools that kids pretty much don't do it, at least not too obviously. He was put in a position as a third-grader where, at recess, he thought he was performing for his friends, but they were actually getting him to do stupid stuff, and then laughing at him. I figured this out because I regularly asked him how recess went that day. When I realized what was going on, I wanted to go observe recess to make sure I understood what was going on, but the school denied me the opportunity for a 48 hour period -- basically they wanted to take care of the situation first, probably to avoid a lawsuit. What I thought was going on WAS going on, the asst. principal called in three boys, talked to them (which kind of bothered me -- I'm sure he mentioned my son's diagnosis, which was information I didn't want given out to just anyone) and then called the parents. Initially I wasn't very happy about this, but I have to admit, ALL of the parents went completely overboard trying to "do the right thing" by my son. Those boys have all been very nice since then.

I think that the best defense against bullying is to develop a very snide, sarcastic sense of humor. The trouble is, that's a hard thing for some people to develop. My oldest son could pull it off, but my younger son is just too sweet. We are literally trying to teach him sarcasm as a defense mechanism -- hopefully someday it will work!

Kris

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 8:23 am

schleppenheimer wrote:
I'm a mother of two aspie boys.

The oldest (now 21) was bullied in his elementary years. When he was very young, and I knew he was being bullied by a kid I provided day-care services for, I went to their school, talked to the bully at recess, and basically said "you don't want to do what you've been doing ever again, do you understand?". I made sure that I didn't word it as a threat, but that's basically what it was, and he knew it. He was very young, and probably going through a rough time himself (parents divorced later that year), but I couldn't let the bullying continue. I also spent lots of time with this child during daycare, kidding with him and joking with him, playing with him -- but I let him know that bullying my kid was NOT ok.

My son was bullied right up until the sixth grade. We had just moved to a new location, and some snot-nosed rich kid was bullying my son. My son tells me (I'm not really sure if this was true) that he'd had enough, and punched the kid in front of everyone. The kid never bugged him again -- in fact nobody bugged him again. My son developed a wicked, sarcastic sense of humor, and he never had to deal with bullying again.

My younger son is SO innocent. If he's ever bullied, I would never know it, because he comes home so cheerful and happy. I think(?) that the bullying programs are so strong in his elementary and middle schools that kids pretty much don't do it, at least not too obviously. He was put in a position as a third-grader where, at recess, he thought he was performing for his friends, but they were actually getting him to do stupid stuff, and then laughing at him. I figured this out because I regularly asked him how recess went that day. When I realized what was going on, I wanted to go observe recess to make sure I understood what was going on, but the school denied me the opportunity for a 48 hour period -- basically they wanted to take care of the situation first, probably to avoid a lawsuit. What I thought was going on WAS going on, the asst. principal called in three boys, talked to them (which kind of bothered me -- I'm sure he mentioned my son's diagnosis, which was information I didn't want given out to just anyone) and then called the parents. Initially I wasn't very happy about this, but I have to admit, ALL of the parents went completely overboard trying to "do the right thing" by my son. Those boys have all been very nice since then.

I think that the best defense against bullying is to develop a very snide, sarcastic sense of humor. The trouble is, that's a hard thing for some people to develop. My oldest son could pull it off, but my younger son is just too sweet. We are literally trying to teach him sarcasm as a defense mechanism -- hopefully someday it will work!

Kris

Ya, on occasion I can pull off being sarcastic, but for me and I think its ASD related, being that quick to come up with a comback is super hard, some can do it, but I know I cant... usually.

I am glad you prevented your kids from being harassed, nobody deserves to go thru the stuff others or myself have been thru.

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2007, 8:25 am

Yes.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 8:39 am

33 before someone votes no

right-o who is it?
and I don't believe them :twisted:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 9:47 am

Yes, and I and always knew it, but would ignore it.

The best thing to do is ignore a bully, because due to their insecurities and frail ego, they will try to pick on you and provoke you till you're edging on insane, just so they can feel whatever it is they feel they're lacking. If you keep feeding the n-headed monster, it will only keep growing.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:41 am

Yes, I was bullied through Secondary School, and badly. I've always said it was mostly not physical, but I was talking to my therapist and he started me going through specific incidents, and I guess I realised that it was mostly physical. I've not been thinking of it that way because I was rarely hit so hard as to leave a significant mark, but a lot of physical, a lot of psychological, and pretty much daily through the end of Primary School through Secondary (I was moved out of my first Primary School because I got beaten up so badly I think 3 times in a week).

psychedelic wrote:
I think it has to do with testosterone. Not only does it make us guys more aggressive and stronger, it also supposedly makes up more impulsive.

I don't think impulsive is the right way to talk about school shootings and the like. Those are mostly planned out over weeks and months. Impulsive is the last thing they are.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:57 am

Bullied severely grades 5, 6, 7, 8. I attempted suicide over it. After Jr. High I was bullied intermittently (my parents started sending me to private schools)-- but it was more rejection/ ignoring than outright bullying after that point.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 11:34 am

Bullying for me started in day care, and my first bullies were teachers/caretakers
Because I was "different" at a early age I guess I had this one day care lady who was always singling me out from the rest of the kids and subjecting me to weird punishments...

It happened again in 1st grade where I had a teacher who was emotionally and physically abusive on a daily basis...(they both hurt equally bad)...I still remember her jerking me around and calling me a little idiot because I didn't know right from left.

She set me up for the next several years in school where I was harassed by classmates of both genders. I was also bullied in sunday school...on account of my social oblivion...(no matter I was practicly an athiest then too)....I just went there because of the "Take a godless heathen child to church" program...my neighbors brought me.

By the time I was in 4th grade, I was a complete nervous wreck..but had been picked for the magnet program at school....but then I switched schools and had a complete nervous breakdown after a couple of weeks and was sent back to third grade.

Blah blah blah...stuff continued till I was in 8th grade in Jr. High...back in the gifted program...had started to grow out of some of my more severe akwardess and bad habits and actually made friends.

I don't recall being bullied in high school..I did make an ass of myself alot though...

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 2:15 pm

I do not know about grades 1 to 4, because I wasn't aware of these things back then. I can remember some few situations in which someone may have been trying to bully me, but I don't think anybody succeeded thanks to my total awesome autistic blindness to any human being outside my family.

However, I was bullied from kids and teachers all throughout grades 5 to 11/12, at three different schools and every month. I sometimes wonder where people took their enthusiasm from to bully me each day!

Severe bullying, I was called names, thrown objects at, were beaten up, humiliated by adults outside and inside class. I went mute in grade 6 until I was thrown out of school for failing and horrible behaviour - the teachers claimed that someone as weird as me was served right by being humiliated every step.

What to say about it...? Changed me for life, it did. I wanted to jump out of the window when I was 11, I'm glad I didn't.

I don't have any permanent problems because of it, I had of course, I hope that's clear. I mean right now I don't have any trust issues, I'm not afraid of people, I'm not depressed, not suicidal, which all is a wonder in itself I was told. I don't care, I'm just glad that I'm okay. The only remaining thing is that I'll instantly get ill, even physically ill, when someone bullies me and tend to lose verbal skills.

The good thing is that since I know that I'm autistic I didn't get into any more bullying situations, some tried but stopped after trying it immediately. It's so seriously strange.