01 Nov 2005, 5:23 am

I got about 20 - 30, ill take a photo of the pile

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2005, 5:24 am

Assassin wrote:
tom wrote:
The one I read at the minute is called G.T.O.

*cough*

a comic about a teacher???????? *couch* sad *cough*

Hey, I'm Tom, it's my job to be sad! :D

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2005, 6:15 pm

I like Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, and Rurouni Kenshin a lot.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 9:02 am

Tom wrote:
I got about 20 - 30, ill take a photo of the pile

wtf?

Quote:
Assassin wrote:
tom wrote:
The one I read at the minute is called G.T.O.

*cough*

a comic about a teacher???????? *couch* sad *cough*

Hey, I'm Tom, it's my job to be sad!

good point lol ^_^ :lol:

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2006, 5:45 am

Assassin wrote:
Assassin wrote:
Yeh i reed manga now an agen.

Mangas ive got include:

DNAngel 1-3
Warcraft Sunwell Trilogy 1
Lament of the Lamb 1
Deus Vitae 1
.hack//legend of the twilight 1 (which, to be honest, isnt that great...)

Ive not red any of the mangas but the BR film was cool

Im sorry tom but gto is just sooooooooooooooooo sad

Update:

DNAngel 1-3
Lament of the Lamb 1
Deus Vitae 1
.hack//legend of the twilight 1-2
br 1-4
samurai deeper kyo 1 (allthogh i havent gotten round to reedin it yet)
jing: king of bandits 1 (allthogh agen i havent gotten round to reeding it yet)
Cowboy Bebop 1
Ragnarok 1

an i think thats about it. cant think of anythin else anyway

Re-update:

DNAngel 1-5 (You HAVE to read this series ^^)
Lament of the Lamb 1
Deus Vetae 1 (this is crap)
.hack//legend of the twilight 1-3 (fin) (moves away from comedy and gets more serius as it goes on, which i think is quite good)
Battle Royale 1-6 (at least, I THINK its 6...) (goes into a lot more detail about each caras background than the film, which I like)
Samurai Deeper Kyo 1-2 (pretty good series, although I prefered the first one than the second, I think the Ochiudo should have had a continuing role in the story)
jing: king of bandits 1 (INCREDIBLY boring, I sold this to my sister for 50p)
Cowboy Bebop 1
Ragnarok 1
And a few others I think, but not sure.

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2006, 8:12 am

I remembered 2 of the others, Inuyasha 1 & 2. Not sure if theres any more, Ill have a look in the book cubord tonite when I get home.

JediofRohan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2006, 3:05 pm

oh man! I remember when the Sailor Moon manga (from Tokyopop) was first publihed, back in 1998! Do I ever feel old!

Anyways, I like Hikaru No Go, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Et Cetera!

Nitz
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2006, 2:57 pm

I'm looking for manga reccomendations, myself-- I'm a bit of a newbie to Japanese comics. I'm currently reading Naruto and One Piece, both of which I absolutely love, and started reading Kikaider 02. But there are so many different choices available at the local comic store that I don't know where to start.

For someone who can enjoy pretty much anything as long as it's A.) of high technical quality and B.) creative and unusual, what would y'all reccomend?

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 8:43 pm

I just discovered this really weird manga series called Death Note.
It's about this boy named Light who has the power to kill people by writing their names in a magic notebook called the Death Note, guided by a creepy demon only an owner of the Death Note can see. Some detectives track him down, led by someone named L, but Light is incapable of killing L because he doesn't know L's real name or what L looks like. It's pretty interesting. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something unusual to read.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 9:56 am

Nitz wrote:
I'm looking for manga reccomendations, myself-- I'm a bit of a newbie to Japanese comics. I'm currently reading Naruto and One Piece, both of which I absolutely love, and started reading Kikaider 02. But there are so many different choices available at the local comic store that I don't know where to start.

For someone who can enjoy pretty much anything as long as it's A.) of high technical quality and B.) creative and unusual, what would y'all reccomend?

I could give you a few recommendations, but judging by the fact that you like One Piece, I think its safe to say our tastes are to different for my recommendations to do anything other than mabey waste your money and time, so I wont bother making them unless you ask me specifically after reading this post.

EDIT: Battle Royale - high techical quality, and (so long as you havent seen the film lol) creative and unusual
.hack - a fair amount of technical quality, and CERTAINLY creative and unusual

JediofRohan wrote:
oh man! I remember when the Sailor Moon manga (from Tokyopop) was first publihed, back in 1998! Do I ever feel old!

Its not THAT hard to remember stuff that happened in 1998, unless you were born in 1996 lol

Quote:
I just discovered this really weird manga series called Death Note.
It's about this boy named Light who has the power to kill people by writing their names in a magic notebook called the Death Note, guided by a creepy demon only an owner of the Death Note can see. Some detectives track him down, led by someone named L, but Light is incapable of killing L because he doesn't know L's real name or what L looks like. It's pretty interesting. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something unusual to read.

Sounds intresting, I mite try it sometime.

Anyway, add 4 to my list - SDK 3, BR 6 (it was 5 before, apparently), DNAngel 6, and Bebop 2.

Nitz
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2006, 1:44 am

Quote:
I could give you a few recommendations, but judging by the fact that you like One Piece, I think its safe to say our tastes are to different for my recommendations to do anything other than mabey waste your money and time, so I wont bother making them unless you ask me specifically after reading this post.

I'm not sure why you would come to that conclusion, because One Piece ( the manga, not the wretchedly censored, dubbed anime ) seems innocuous enough; it's not the greatest manga on Earth, but it's really wacky and fun. I mean, the hero is made of rubber! That is the epitome of cool, at least from my ( admittedly warped ) perspective.

I am interested in hearing your reccomendations, though, and thank you for the two you already gave; I will look into .hack and Battle Royale ( though I haven't seen the film ). Don't worry about wasting my money and time; I have enough of the first and too much of the second. :)

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 10:14 am

lol

I shoud warn you about Battle Royale thogh - its kinda gory (more so than the film, and thats not exactly for the faint-hearted either)

Nitz
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2006, 8:48 pm

Quote:
I shoud warn you about Battle Royale thogh - its kinda gory (more so than the film, and thats not exactly for the faint-hearted either)

Believe me, the least significant problem I have when I read a book is the gore. Gratuitous violence isn't a problem for me-- in fact, it's how I think violence should be portrayed, as messy and disconcerting. I don't advocate violence in real life, which is actually the reason why I prefer to see more visceral pain and suffering in fiction-- to show that violence is a bad thing with real consequences. If it makes me uncomfortable, then the story has done its job .

However, I also think that a story needs more meaning than just having violence, so I'm curious as far as what the larger themes of Battle Royale are. If you could enlighten me on this, without spoiling too much, it would be appreciated...

PlatypusMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2006, 2:15 am

Mwa ha ha, we have manga in our Public Library, and even some on our HIGH SCHOOL library. And this was all accomplished by me and about 4 or 5 friends.

Let's see, what have I read.

All of Love Hina
1-5 of Evangelion
All of Imadoki! Nowadays
All of Brigadoon (tis only two books though :p )
All of Chobits
All of FLCL
All of Hana-Kimi, up to the most current volume

That's all for now. And all of these manga (except for FLCL) are available at our public library. Our HS library is starting to get Initial D and One Piece (grr, I'm angry that I graduated).

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 6:42 am

Nitz wrote:
However, I also think that a story needs more meaning than just having violence, so I'm curious as far as what the larger themes of Battle Royale are. If you could enlighten me on this, without spoiling too much, it would be appreciated...

Lets see... love, and commitment to the person you love at the expense of everything else

pacifism, and commitment to that pacifism probably at the expense of your own life

lets see, what else... individual nature? BR does an exellent job of showing each and every one of its characters as people in their own right, rather than just faceless story tools intended to support a plotline.

I cant think of anything else, but Ill get back to you.

PlatypusMan wrote:
Mwa ha ha, we have manga in our Public Library, and even some on our HIGH SCHOOL library.

I have noticed a couple of mangas in our college library (that said, a couple means 2, and 2 means Dark Angel and Azumanga Daioh, neither of which are reelly worth a mention in my opinion). I THINK ive seen a few mangas in the public library, but i cant remember what they were. Needless to say, they were no good or I wood have red them.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 10:10 pm

OK, I guess I'll cave in to peer pressure and give a list of what I own and what I've read.

What I own (and have read, but don't own*- note that "I have read" means I've read at least one volume, as opposed to the whole series):
Death Note
.Hack//Legend of the Twilight*
Fruits Basket*
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hellsing
Love Hina*
Naruto*
Nausicaa
RG Veda*
Rurouni Kenshin
Saiyuki
Trigun