Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lode
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2007, 8:50 pm

"Talk therapy" or Cognitive Behavior Therapy is meant for all kinds of phobias and often depressions. I follow it too, once a week. It helps me alot, especially since I have a social phobia and have trouble doing everyday stuff.

By the way, it's not the best solution to prescripe medication without any kind of treatment at all. :? That way, prozac can mess you up alot more instead of giving that push in the back you need when following therapy. What kind of country do you guys live in where psychiatrists are that inconsiderate?

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 9:49 pm

Developmental psychiatrists are the main, if only, people that can officially diagnose autism. We've never been offered dope from a pyschiatrist. Only once from a neurologist (we turned it down) and my husband got dope from the family doctor.

NLDer
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Dec 2007, 10:14 pm

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that a diagnosis can basically be filed with the government and keep a person from emigrating to another country? Is there some way to find this information out? I was in the process of trying to get disability mostly because of physical issues, but the lawyer was going to use my NLD/AS as a disability as well.. Before I knew it, the attorney sent me to some other psychologist that labeled me something horrible that I'm not, because the attorney said the NLD was not able to be used!! ! She basically bought and paid for a psychological report and won't tell me what it is... I don't want to be wrongly mislabeled with the government, you know?

Any information or ideas how to correct something like that? thanks.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 12:23 pm

NLDer wrote:
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that a diagnosis can basically be filed with the government and keep a person from emigrating to another country? Is there some way to find this information out? I was in the process of trying to get disability mostly because of physical issues, but the lawyer was going to use my NLD/AS as a disability as well.. Before I knew it, the attorney sent me to some other psychologist that labeled me something horrible that I'm not, because the attorney said the NLD was not able to be used!! ! She basically bought and paid for a psychological report and won't tell me what it is... I don't want to be wrongly mislabeled with the government, you know?

Any information or ideas how to correct something like that? thanks.

wow, what country do you live in?

Merle

NLDer
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2007, 12:41 pm

I guess I should rephrase that.. I have NLD (mild Asperger's) and numerous physical problems. It's not that I'm concerned that MY country wouldn't let me emigrate to another, it's that with the wrong label being filed with the U.S., I wonder if that record with Social Security is made available to OTHER countries if I were to apply to say, New Zealand or Australia for citizenship to live in their country? Instead of mild Asperger's (as I had previously been diagnosed), the attorney wants to use a report that isn't true -- schizoid personality. I mean, maybe it doesn't matter whether a person has Asperger's/ADHD/Depression OR ______ personality disorder/ADHD/Depression... Maybe once a label of "mental illness" is lodged with the U.S. Social Security office, it doesn't make a difference WHAT it is, they still call it mental illness and I wonder if another country were checking records to determine whether to allow someone to emigrate, would they have ACCESS to that information and deny the application based on either set of labels? Does anyone know? I'm trying to find out the ramifications of getting Social Security for that (and the other physical issues).

Here in the U.S., they are talking about making alot of mental health records easily accessible on Instant Criminal background checks that anyone can read (including employers, the general public, and gun dealers for gun checks - I don't want to purchase a gun by the way...) This means that anyone ever having had depression and stating such, say in a Social Security hearing, could find themselves on that "list" available basically to the public -- because on the internet, you can find all types of sites that offer Criminal records checks for a small fee. You can check anyone!

~L

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 8:42 am

Thanks. I guess there's not much of a benefit in particular, then.

Adressing the questions, they just think I'm weird. "You do know that people think you're weird, right?" :lol:

I think I'll pass.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."