Page 23 of 23 [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 3:44 pm

Wow, what a loooong topic!

It took me a couple of hours to read all all the posts. I have a very strong attention span.

I know very little about Autism Speaks, but I certainly know about Asperger's Speaks (All the posters on this forum). I suppose there are a few NTs as well.

I do not understand about the concept of banning, When I see that someone's name is banned, that person is still posting. I suppose I should pm a Mod about this. Just wondering.

I liked many of the posters' arguments as they were very articulate. I could not begin to requote them here.

I like the "trippy" image a while back by cdarwin. Amazing visuals. I am not sure what it is supposed to mean.

The list of slogans for the "Autism Speakeasy" is hilarious. :P

I have glimpsed the enemy, and I am relieved it is not us.

I hope to read more comments in the near future.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 11:33 pm

Posters that are banned are not allowed to continue posting. They posted those comments and were banned later on.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 12:11 am

sartresue wrote:
I know very little about Autism Speaks, but I certainly know about Asperger's Speaks (All the posters on this forum). I suppose there are a few NTs as well.

Speak for yourself. ;)

(In less flippant terms, even for those who believe in a hard-and-fast division between autism and AS, there are people meeting the definition of autism (both diagnosed and undiagnosed, as well as, if one believes in the division, some undoubtedly misdiagnosed as AS or PDD-NOS) on this forum. As well as quite possibly a good number of people who are neither autistic nor NT (dyslexic, etc).)

Mottron et al. wrote:
There are no available convincing data that autism with vs. without overt peaks of ability, with vs. without overt speech, or overall autism vs. Asperger syndrome, differs at a genetic level. Even language abilities cannot be used to distinguish autism from Asperger syndrome, as written language experts are as representative of autism as oral language experts are representative of Asperger's.

further information here

(Meaning, in other words, you can't tell the difference by posts on a forum.)

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2008, 12:59 am

anbuend wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:
Please remember to keep things civil, guys. There have been several comments on this thread that could be interpreted as deliberately inciting conflict, which is against site rules. There has also been a good deal of quality discussion, which is great.

I would appreciate that too. When I enter into discussions of this nature, I do not want to do it from a position where it's something personal about people, or worse, about people's friends, like who takes what side just has to do with who likes who rather than what people's positions would otherwise be. The social tangles and multiple-board-fights and stuff are just confusing, detract from real discussion, and make me not want to get involved lest I or others end up subject to personal attack by someone whose friend's enemy's friend's enemy's friend agrees or disagrees with me or something and who thinks that's the basis for all such discussions. (That sort of thing, as well as having to answer for other people's opinions than one's own, ends up baffling and aggravating and non-fruitful for everyone involved.) The moment I saw the "You're X's friend," "Well you're Y's friend," stuff going on I just wanted out.

Notion seconded.
Poor debate form.

I won't translate it because it doesn't mean anything.