Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Novinha
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2007, 5:34 pm

I've had a two-button joystick as long as I can remember... simple and dependable (if temperamental). Unfortunately, it died months ago. It's plugged into an old computer, too, so I need something else that plugs into the serial port to replace it... but all the joysticks I can find plug into USB ports. I'm not sure this computer even has one. Any advice?

alex
Developer
Developer

09 Dec 2007, 5:48 pm

find one on ebay. or buy a new computer.

Novinha
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2007, 5:56 pm

I do have a newer computer; I keep this one around so I can play old games on it that might not work otherwise. But Ebay's a good thought. Thanks.

Kamex
Raven
Raven

11 Dec 2007, 2:11 am

If these old games are DOS games, you may be able to play them on your newer computer using DOSBox.

themapples
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2007, 11:32 pm

It's possible to make your own... Game ports are simply ATD ports with a power supply. There are schematics online. Google it.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 12:01 am

You can have my old joystick... I'll seriously send it to you if you can pay for shipping :lol:

maulwurfmann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2007, 9:51 pm

You could try a series of adapters. Most of them out there are for plugging a serial port device to a USB port, but there ought to be some that go the other way around. Ebay is a good place to look...

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 2:09 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

if your computer has that kind of slots/entries (second pic), you're safe to go