Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2007, 10:24 am

Are AS-ers known for suffering from this more than NTs?

If I am inspired, lots of progress is made ..... but other times, and today feels like it, I just sit around and lack focus. I work in scientific, quasi r&d stuff. The presence of a deadline doesn't seem to light my fire either: I'll do it when I feel like it.

alei
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2007, 10:48 am

There are days where I get nothing done, I just spend the whole day flitting from one activity to the next trying to figure out that one thing I can focus on.

The days I do get a lot accomplished it is often not the things other people would like me to get done. I'm pretty sure the days that everyone is happy are just a coincidence, the things I wanted to do just happened to match what they wanted me to do.

I have difficulties with expectations. Its not because I dont want people to rely on me, but because I have a really hard time focusing on anything other than what I want to be doing at that moment and that makes me very distractable. I counteract this by underestimating what I am capable of accomplishing, and giving myself a wide margin of error. I would prefer for people to be pleasantly surprised by my capabilities than dissapointed because I didnt measure up to the standards they set.

My artistic side: aleigirl.deviantart.com

My ramblings and insights on being an adult with Asperger's: http://alei-cat.blogspot.com/

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 11:05 am

It's interesting how much of what you guys describe here as being your experiences with work match mine.

How true it is too that the days I do get a lot accomplished, it is often not the things other people would like me to get done.

whitecat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2007, 7:08 pm

Geat discussion.

I have more days when I get nothing done - than days I DO get stuff done. That's a way to lose a job fast. And I have.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 4:08 am

Today was one of those days... but, oh well, variety is what makes life interesting. Anyway, running around doing things doesn't equte to mental activity-quite the opposite.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:03 pm

AspCat wrote:
Are AS-ers known for suffering from this more than NTs?

If I am inspired, lots of progress is made ..... but other times, and today feels like it, I just sit around and lack focus. I work in scientific, quasi r&d stuff. The presence of a deadline doesn't seem to light my fire either: I'll do it when I feel like it.

This is virtually every day for me. Nothing....nothing...nothing...then I'll do a whole bunch of work with good results....then nothing...etc. I find I have a lot of difficulty concentrating these days, and I am not always that interested in my work. I don't know how to remedy this.

caffeine_demon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2007, 6:29 pm

I had a few of those at work - you hjust can't seem to get started on anything!

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 10:10 pm

Yeah that happens to me with homework.

Rosenametaken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2008, 12:34 pm

whitecat wrote:
That's a way to lose a job fast. And I have.

I am trying to turn getting fired into an art form. I might as well - it happens so often that I have to have some approach.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 6:34 pm

Sometimes this happens with me at work.
Since I work the swing shift (3pm to 11:30pm) and no one replaces me until the next morning, I will stay after I clock out to finish what I should have been doing earlier... like taking temps (equipment), faxing reports (quite a wast of paper and time and that REALLY IRKS ME), and auditing previous patient orders (dull and mind-numbing).

Still, I do not think it's stictly an AS or ADD/HD issue.
I think you need to look at the reason behind the lack of actions before deciding if it's an AS/ADD thing or not... case by case.

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2008, 10:34 am

I'm somewhat the opposite.

I like being busy every single minute. If I run out of work to do before it's time to go home, it's torture.

I hate having to find ways to kill time at work.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:41 am

I can't start a work if it isn't a last-minute job or if I'm told it's impossible to do. No matter whether it is simple paperwork or a puzzle that is very hard, if I'm told something is impossible (although it isn't really impossible, just hard), I can do it.
I tend to fail at jobs that are in one or another way easy. My brain just won't work and I can't do it.

All in all I have lots of days on which I get nothing done.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:35 pm

kitschinator wrote:
I'm somewhat the opposite.

I like being busy every single minute. If I run out of work to do before it's time to go home, it's torture.

I hate having to find ways to kill time at work.

I like being busy, it's just what I'm doing while I'm busy that is the problem at work sometimes.
During my shift, if there's no patients to see or no tests to handle, then I go around restocking, checking printer paper levels, filing patient orders at admissions (for some reason I like filing... the whole alphabetical order thing).

I suppose I just avoid the things I find mundane and/or wasteful.
Faxing is necessary to get the results to a doctor's office faster than by mail, but the way we do it wastes reams of paper every month and that just really pisses me off. So I dread faxing mostly because of this.