Awareness is a factor in increasing cases of autism (MJS)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 10:42 am

Awareness is a factor in increasing cases of autism (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)

Posted: Dec. 9, 2007

Q. We hear so much about autism these days. Is there an epidemic? What is causing this?

A. The incidence of autism in the general population used to be considered fairly uncommon. Now it is considered more common, about one in 150.

Do we truly have more children with autism? Are there more kids who are afflicted?

I don't know if this increase is caused by more affected kids. It could be caused by reclassifying other kids that used to be called other things.

I do know that we have more diagnoses because as a society we choose to view it that way.

more...

- Emerson

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 11:51 am

The epidemic is in people with useless Degrees in Psychology.

They picked the Major after watching Silence of the Lambs, It was them!

They could not do the math for a real Science, so they took Humanist Religious Studies.

Humans do not have a Spirit, they are but bags of meat that need their chemicals adjusted.

The only meaning of life is lie your way into a job.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 3:46 pm

Inventor wrote:
Humans do not have a Spirit, they are but bags of meat that need their chemicals adjusted.

I agree with the first half! And sometimes the second half is true. But I don't understand the need to medicate everything. Your mind is more powerful than your doctors give it credit for.

Inventor wrote:
The only meaning of life is lie your way into a job.

It really seems that way sometimes. :(

Also, sort of agree with the article. People probably aren't changing so much. Diagnoses are changing - conditions have been redefined, and misdiagnoses are common, as often happens when any condition starts to become well known in the mainstream. Doctors can only diagnose what they know.