Anyone else losing weight to be healthier?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

autisticstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2007, 11:19 am

I have recently lost 28 pounds and now have 72 pounds left to go before I meet my goal--YAY!! ! I have done this by attending Weight Watchers meetings, keeping junk food out of the house, and eating at home much more often instead of always going out to eat. The thing I love about Weight Watchers is that it teaches one to eat healthfully and there are not ridiculous restrictions as to what to eat; it shows you can eat healthfully and still have a few treats every now and then. I also began replacing food as entertainment with other activities such as attending music concerts and going to independent films. Now my next goal is to incorporate exercise into daily life. Has anyone else lost and kept off a lot of weight and if so how did you do it? Also I would like to know if anyone else is currently trying to lose weight.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 11:23 am

I am working on losing weight. I go to the gym at my school every day, and rarely eat outside of lunch and dinner. I used to snack all the time, but I don't so much anymore.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

10 Dec 2007, 11:37 am

WAY TO GO!! !
I am trying hard, but I yo-yo. I eat when stressed, so having AS does not help. And my motivation has been flawed. It sounds like you are on that horse firmly, and I am very happy for you.
Now, if I could just get on my own horse and stop getting off for pizza...

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 12:20 pm

i am trying to loose weight but i havent had much sucess

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 12:32 pm

I'm going to lose some weight after christmas. I lost 15 kg before the summer, and it was a lot easier than I thought i would be.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 1:45 pm

I'm working on it. Losing weight is a slow thing.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 2:05 pm

I'm working on losing weight myself, having lost 25lbs so far. I go to the gym 3 times a week, and work out at home on the other days. I eat meals at home more, and I don't keep junk food around.

Therese
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 3:02 pm

I've lost around 40 lbs. over the span of half a year, all thanks to a major change in my lifestyle. I monitored what I ate and exercised at least five times a week (just general cardio like walking) whenever I had the time. I was 145 lbs. at my heaviest, and that was quite overweight for someone like me who's only 5'1". :( Right now, I feel absolutely amazing at my healthy weight, and I am keeping up with my lifestyle in order to maintain that. :)

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2007, 3:03 pm

Great!! ! You'll be more attractive and healthier. Win/Win.

KindofBlue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2007, 7:14 am

A very big congratulations to you!! !!

I'm losing weight to look better so that people would treat me better so that I would feel better about myself, which would lead to others treating me better and so on.

I am 86 pounds lighter than I was at my heaviest. In the past year to year and a half, I've lost 30 pounds, and to reach a normal BMI, I would need to lose another 23 pounds. It's slow going, at about 5 pounds every 2-3 months, so at this rate, I should reach my goal by next fall, although the returns are diminishing. Not easy to exercise during the winter months, when I am stuck inside and walking outside in cold weather is unpleasant and there isn't any eye candy around.

There is also a health benefit, because my blood pressure is down to normal, but I don't feel any diminishing of my anxiety nor of my severe shyness and problems making eye contact.

Continued success to you.

RogerB
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2007, 7:42 am

I'm in the middle of losing weight also.

Started at ~260lbs... currently at ~230lbs (hovering for last 3 weeks).

Aim is ~200. that would put me at upper end of healthy weight range according to BMI.

For those fellow metricians out there that translates to: 120, 105, 90.

Got no tips for you though. I've really only succeeded so far by cutting out junk food like McDonalds and Pizzas and Coke. I try to only intake water and beer (mostly water) as liquids. While I haven't completely cleaned up my eating, I just stick to eating LESS crap rather than eating till I feel bloated...

and lastly, good luck with your own weight loss. And a moral support to all those battling whatever weight issues one might have. And whether your final goal is upper end of BMI like mine, or recreating King Leonidas out of 300.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2007, 12:28 pm

Exercise is key to losing weight. It doesn't matter how you do it; just find a sport you really like to do and give yourself more time to work on it.

I for example, would have found it difficult to lose weight if I hadn't found such a keen interest in rollerblading.

Unfortunately, I'm not really L, and can't tell you if solving brain-intensive math problems while eating high sugar content food works.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

12 Dec 2007, 12:36 pm

I've gotten thinner but my weight is still the same. But my boyfriend has been losing weight though. He went from 310 to 291 and still has a ways to go but he has gotten smaller a lot but is still fat.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 12:54 pm

The most weight I ever lost was when I went to the 28-day field course at B.O.S.S.
It's a survival school run out of Boulder, Utah.

I lost 20lbs in 30days... then ate it all back on the drive home :D ... or so it seemed.

I'm currently 218 and I want to be back down around 180-190 lbs.

I've signed up for two p.e. classes next semester.. Aerobic Fitness and Running (I took it last semester and liked it. Also the coach lets me run barefoot), and Weightlifting (I took this one this semester but it only meets twice a week and I have a hard time working out at home... too many distractions).

I have no problem eating good foods... then again.. I have no problem eating 'bad' foods either. :twisted:

Part of my problem is needing to change my appreciation for my age and activity level.
When I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska, I was in my early 30's always running, hikng, biking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing,etc. to the point that in my Anatomy&Physiology class at UAF one semester we totaled up our daily caloric intake and mine was around 4,000 calories.

I would eat a whole frozen cheesecake on the 7 mile drive home from town.

I didn't gain a lot of weight.. kept under 200lbs.

I need to change my attitude towards this idea that I can eat and eat and not gain weight or clog up my arteries.

So far my health is pretty good (blood tests included), but if I keep this up, I'll keep getting worse instead of being as healthy as I can be.

I've thought about weight-watchers because I've known several people who have done great on it.

By the way CONGRATULATIONS AUTSTICSTAR! :thumright:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 3:31 pm

I've lost about four or five stone and I'm a very hefty chap myself. I'm continuing my weightloss and feel healthier for it.

trustwell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2007, 2:08 am

I've lost about 40lbs over the last year or so. My body fat % dropped off considerably, but I'm still working on that. I'd like to keep it around/under 20-25% for now.

tw