What is your religion VS what is your ancestors religion?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 9:36 pm

I am non religious, but spiritual. My Mother is the same. My grandmother on my mothers side was raised Christian i believe. My Mothers side is a mix of Native American spiritual beliefs, and Christianity.

My dad is Non religious. My grandmother on his side is non religious, not sure if she was raised religious, but her mother was Catholic. so that side is a mix of non religious and Catholic. I have a cross necklace my Great grandmother owned. it's very large and has pretty stones set in it. I wouldn't wear it myself, but it's lovely to look at.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2007, 9:44 pm

Both my mother and father have long Christian family histories. However, I suspect that originally my father's side of the family was Jewish at some point. Even at the times when I was not able to wholeheartedly believe Christianity, I've always viewed it as part of my cultural heritage.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 9:58 pm

My parents are Assemblies of God, and I am Lutheran, but taking a do-it-yourself approach.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Immured
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2007, 10:06 pm

Insanity runs through my family.
Wouldn't be surprised if some of them invented a few religions.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 Dec 2007, 10:18 pm

my ansestors were from sweden. and where vikings, i also had women ansestors who worked in the fields and painted
-this is on my real dads side, wich i mostley consider myself as

my mom doesnt know her real dad, and her mom was blackfoot indian decent. both of them are b-tches, and now my mom is taking anti depressant drugs because "im so mean to her" yeah f-ing right

anyways as far as im concerned im norsk

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 10:26 pm

richardbenson wrote:
my ansestors were from sweden. and where vikings, i also had womon ansestors who worked in the fields and painted
-this is on my real dads side, wich i mostley consider myself as

my mom doesnt know her real dad, and her mom was blackfoot indian decent. both of them are b-tches, and now my mom is taking anti depressant drugs because "im so mean to her" yeah f-ing right

anyways as far as im concerned im norsk

oops. i forgot my viking history too. I'm related to some famous viking, but i forget his name.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 11:11 pm

I am fervently anti-religious. On my father's side we have Christian going all the way back to methodist. On my mother's side - very devout baptists, I believe, or some such other fire and brimstone "no cards, no gambling, no dancing" sermonites (a family of ministers) whose ancestors sold corsets to the whores they encountered on the Oregon trail all the way from Maine.

I find it interesting that a fire and brimstone spitfire would make & sell corsets to whores. of course, it came with a free fire and brimstone lecture, but still.

busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2007, 9:45 am

I and my children are Roman Catholic. I was baptized at 26.
My mom is Baptist (non practicing) my father was Episcopalian.
As a child, I was not baptized in any Faith, being baptized Catholic was my choice. And I did my research, I checked out everything from LSD to Wicca.

LSD = LDS - I wanted to keep that error, as I thought it was funny. :lol:

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 1:33 pm

Mainly Christian Protestant, possibly one Jewish line running from my dad's mother, but it's not been proven.

I'm Agnostic, for the record.

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2007, 2:03 pm

I'm a Christian.
My mother's side of the family is mainly Christian.
My father's side of the family is mainly Pagan.

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2007, 2:09 pm

My family was catholic from about 1600 until me.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 2:35 pm

I'm a liberal christian. I don't know what my parents believe in.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:24 pm

Conservative Christian, generic. Southern Baptists since the mid 1800's; Catholics since 600 AD; polytheistic before then since around 2350 BC; monotheistic since around 4000 BC. This refers to my Irish heritage on my mom's side. On my dad's side it is uncertain who his father was but it would mostly be Catholic French going back to 300 AD and possibly some Jewish but uncertain.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 10:20 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Conservative Christian, generic. Southern Baptists since the mid 1800's; Catholics since 600 AD; polytheistic before then since around 2350 BC; monotheistic since around 4000 BC. This refers to my Irish heritage on my mom's side. On my dad's side it is uncertain who his father was but it would mostly be Catholic French going back to 300 AD and possibly some Jewish but uncertain.

What happened in 2350 BC to cause the Irish to switch from monotheism to polytheism?

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:47 am

My dad was fundamental baptist.
My mom is liberal Christian, non practicing.
My dad's mom is baptist.
I think my dad's dad was atheist, I didn't know him, my dad met him once and said that he didn't believe in the bible.
My mom's mom is liberal Christian, non practicing.
My mom's dad was a non practicing Christian.
I really don't know what they believed beyond my grandparents, though I do know my dad's mom wasn't raised Christian(Her mother was Cherokee), some witness got my dad into church and he got his mom into it. I'd guess most of my ancestors were Protestants.

I am agnostic-atheist.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 12:36 pm

pandabear wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

What happened in 2350 BC to cause the Irish to switch from monotheism to polytheism?

Poor communication.