What is your religion VS what is your ancestors religion?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 12:36 pm

pandabear wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Conservative Christian, generic. Southern Baptists since the mid 1800's; Catholics since 600 AD; polytheistic before then since around 2350 BC; monotheistic since around 4000 BC. This refers to my Irish heritage on my mom's side. On my dad's side it is uncertain who his father was but it would mostly be Catholic French going back to 300 AD and possibly some Jewish but uncertain.

What happened in 2350 BC to cause the Irish to switch from monotheism to polytheism?

Poor communication.

jonk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2007, 4:07 pm

I was raised catholic, from my father's side (50/50 Irish-Swedish with the Irish Catholic dominating.) My mom was raised methodist but switched upon marriage. (Her side was 50% 'Hedvall' Swedish Lutherin on her mother's side and the rest from 'Beach' methodist English and German on her father's side.) Which makes me 50% Swede, I suppose. I have the striking light gold/platinum colored hair for it, anyway (barbers regularly beg me to let them keep it for making wigs) and the nearly transparent skin of the 'invisible man' where you can see nearly every vein in my body in stark relief and I get 2nd degree sunburns in 15 minutes of sun at California's latitudes. (I absolutely LOVE working outside in deep snow and ice, in the deep of night, with the stars out. It is my favorite time -- far, far better than a sunny day to me.)

Even though I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school with catechism on saturdays, attended church, did confession and my hail marys and our fathers on the rosary. and attended a Catholic University for a time, I consider myself an atheist. I'm comfortable with Catholics, of course, and can easily slip into the rituals out of politeness when the time calls for it, without feeling disrespectful to others or feeling dishonest to my own conclusions.

I am ethically closer to the liberation theology side of Catholics, more a Franciscan than a Dominican if that makes sense, as far as personal principles go. Regarding Christian memes more generally, I am attracted to the core expoused by the sermon on the mount (though it actually flows from earlier charismatic Greek teachings, transported into a new region, and the individual ideas there didn't originate with Christian groups who only happened to collect them.) I wish more took it enough to heart to make a meaningful difference.

Jon

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2007, 9:03 pm

My "ancestral" religion is Judaism (though I was not raised in a religious home). My current religion is a secret. ;-) Well, it is not really a secret, but I would rather not discuss it for now.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

TheMandalore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2007, 9:47 pm

On my dad's side, christian. Don't know which version of the religion, since he converted to athiesm before I was born. On my mom's side, athiesm going back to at least my great grandpa. When my mom told my grandpa(she was 10) that she no longer believed in god, he said "It took you this long to figure it out?". I became an athiest some time in elementary school. (For the record, going back to my great grandpa, religion just isn't discussed when you're a kid. We each came to the conclusion seperately.)

Also, I my, my mom, and most likely my grandpa have had AS.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 11:40 pm

I'm agnostic, but most of my ancestors were Catholic.