Autism---to cure or not to cure? (poll)

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Autism
Autism Should be cured 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Autism spectrum disorders should be cured 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Both Full blown autism and autism spectrum disorders should be cured 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Autism Should not be cured 12%  12%  [ 13 ]
Autism spectrum disorders should not be cured 25%  25%  [ 27 ]
Both Full blown autism and autism spectrum disorders should not be cured 34%  34%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 110

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 8:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't believe in a full blown "cure." I believe in an alleviation of the symptoms which each person finds unpleasant.

This

Also this thread is damn near 10 years old, do we need to continue its topic

so in the words of 4chan

/thread

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 8:49 pm

To be honest, I sympathize with those parents who have severely autistic kids who suffer so much that they have to hurt themselves.

If there was a free/low cost cure available for those kids, I would advocate that these parents go hell or high water towards getting that cure.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 9:52 pm

Autism is not a disease, therefor it needs no cure.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Mar 2016, 2:51 am

I think it should be up to the individuals to decide if they want a cure or not.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 10:31 pm

Autism cure sounds very vague to me.

Define autism (it varies in severity) and what part of autism do you want to cure (Eg. comorbid conditions, level of severity, etc)?

I would support autism cure and prevention if it cured comorbid conditions and lessened the severity of the more severely affected autistics. However if a cure and prevention is used to prevent autistic people from existing I would not support it at all.

I voted autism should not be cured because it isn't possible and autism isn't a disease.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 10:37 pm

I'm pretty sure parents of the severely affected autistics don't want to cure and prevent us the more milder to moderately affected autistics, they just want what is best for their kids. I know this because I been around autism in all of its forms and I know people who were in autism groups as well. The main problem is the self hating aspies and higher functioning autistics who blame all of their failures on their autism and who likely want to cure and prevent us out of existence.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 10:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
To be honest, I sympathize with those parents who have severely autistic kids who suffer so much that they have to hurt themselves.

If there was a free/low cost cure available for those kids, I would advocate that these parents go hell or high water towards getting that cure.

I totally do to. In my opinion the worst thing about autism and being autistic is comorbid conditions which cause the more severe forms of autism and make the autism look more severe. I was severely autistic myself when I was little and now I am more mild-moderate. An autism cure and prevention if it ever did exist should cure and prevent comorbid conditions to lessen the severity of autism.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 11:21 pm

A. I believe that there are most likely multiple factors at play in causing autism and that the specific combination is likely not the same for everyone, and if that's the case, it's at least unlikely that there will ever be any one "cure" that works for everybody.

B. I know there are ethical questions about children and those who are otherwise unable to make the decision to get a "cure" or to express their feelings about it having it forced on them.

C. I really don't feel like debating terminology right now.

But, saying all that...

There are people like me for whom autism is absolutely, unquestionably a disability with little or no benefit coming from it, and I would personally be ecstatic if some sort of "cure" was an option.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Feb 2021, 1:47 am

Dylanperr wrote:
I'm pretty sure parents of the severely affected autistics don't want to cure and prevent us the more milder to moderately affected autistics, they just want what is best for their kids.
I would agree. I'm sure being a parent of a special needs kid is very tough. It's very difficult for loving parents to watch their kid having major problems like getting bullied & struggling in school. The parents may also be very worried about what would happen to their kid after the parent's death; us autistics do tend to mature slower than our peers & some of us can majorly struggle to find employment & we can sometimes have problems with self-care & independence skills. It's very difficult to watch somebody you love trying their best but failing miserably & blaming & hating themselves for their failures when you know it is NOT their fault as to why they can not measure up. If a child was born blind & his/her parents were wanting a cure that would allow their kid to see normal 20/20 vision, very few people would fault them & lots of people who were born blind would also wish for a safe cure that would allow them to see. Things are more complicated for mental disorders thou. There is a lot of negative stigma against em. Nobody would be upset with a blind person because the blind can not drive a car but lots of people with mental disorders get blamed because we can not measure up to others expectations even if the others know that we do have mental things that are causing problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition