Autism---to cure or not to cure? (poll)

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Autism
Autism Should be cured 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Autism spectrum disorders should be cured 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Both Full blown autism and autism spectrum disorders should be cured 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Autism Should not be cured 12%  12%  [ 13 ]
Autism spectrum disorders should not be cured 25%  25%  [ 27 ]
Both Full blown autism and autism spectrum disorders should not be cured 34%  34%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 110

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 4:07 pm

Never! Never! Never! At no point in time! Never.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 4:30 pm

I think that cures should not me mandated, nor should they be denied of autistic people who want them. Of course, this is somewhat irrelevant because there is no cure. If there was a cure, it should be available to people who want to be cured. "Cures" should not be forced on anyone.

That said, I think it is unlikely that a cure will emerge in the near future. Allocating resources towards allowing people on the spectrum to lead happier, more fulfilling lives would make a bigger differences than directing the same resources towards finding a cure. A cure may never exist, but there are currently many realistic ways to support autistic people.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 4:58 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Why would you not want full blown autism to be cured?
Would you want to live like that?

Not everyone (including not all scientists) believes in the divisions as currently stated.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 5:05 pm

IF there was a cure, I think it should be a choice, not forced on anyone. Personally, I would refuse the cure.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 5:09 pm

My own worry is that it would not be a choice.

Or rather, that it would be called a choice, but the reality would be that parents could force it on their autistic children if they wanted, and autistic adults would be refused assorted forms of assistance if we didn't first try it.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Do not try to cure autism. That's impossible. Instead, you must realize the truth: There is no cure. Then, you will realize that it is not the autism that is cured, it is only yourself.

-Paraphrased from the Matrix "spoon" scene...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 5:55 pm

anbuend wrote:
My own worry is that it would not be a choice.

Or rather, that it would be called a choice, but the reality would be that parents could force it on their autistic children if they wanted, and autistic adults would be refused assorted forms of assistance if we didn't first try it.

This is why I consider X-men 3 to be the only movie where I sympathize with the "villains" (Magneto is more of a tragic hero, however)... as it concerns a "cure" for mutants because they are "not normal", funded by a man who is ashamed because he doesn't have his "perfect normal child", but instead a dude who can fly. (I don't know about you, but if I had a son who could fly, I wouldn't try to cure him, I'd send him up to the roof and fix the antenna... but i digress)...

This is why I have the following as a signature quote...

Wistaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2007, 6:45 pm

I don't really want to be cured of my Autism Spectrum Disorder, but I'd love to have my comorbids cured (except for my asexuality, I prefer to live without distraction).

Personally, I'd rather see people allowing us to be part of the niche we were born to be in, rather than force us to conform to their ideals: We should be encouraged to hone our talents. It's like teaching a horse to climb a tree when its' true talent lies in other things (riding, racing, epic police mounts, farming, etc).

To each, their own.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 7:17 pm

One more thing about my earlier post...

While I am against a cure, I wouldn't mind treatments that would allow low-functioning autistics to function independently, but the current "cure" campaign, motivated mostly by NT fear of the unknown, is just wrong and should be stopped...

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2007, 9:21 pm

I would never cure myself, but if there was a cure, each person should have the right to choose if they wanted it or not.

Of course it might be hard to find a "cure" if there's nothing really wrong and it's just a genetic trait that goes one way or the other... It'd be like trying to "cure" redheads.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 9:30 pm

I believe in therapies that help us move easier through life; but then again, I believe that for all people.

With a cure for autism, you discount the good to get rid of the "bad."

I just went into an entire post about it this morning here

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 12:22 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
This is why I consider X-men 3 to be the only movie where I sympathize with the "villains" (Magneto is more of a tragic hero, however)... as it concerns a "cure" for mutants because they are "not normal", funded by a man who is ashamed because he doesn't have his "perfect normal child", but instead a dude who can fly. (I don't know about you, but if I had a son who could fly, I wouldn't try to cure him, I'd send him up to the roof and fix the antenna... but i digress)...

I don't really sympathize with either the "heroes" or the "villains" much in that movie, because both sides seem to be doing both things I consider really important and things I'd consider unconscionable.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 2:06 am

Speaking for myself, I'll take a cure that alleviates my inability to stand in the presence of others; being homebound and not pursuing my ideal career isn't really what I wanted from this life.

It's what I have, however.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 3:01 am

I wouldn't want a cure myself either, i struggled through life, and it sucked, but i'm a lot stronger due to it. I voted for not curing any autistic spectrum disorder. If there ever was a cure, i hope it would be choice though, i would just be afraid if there was, i would be picked on ten times more, and hear the words "Go get the cure already, you retart". I think that would bother me a lot, but if there was a way to cure some of the symptoms like sensory, not being able to communicate very well, and the misunderstandings, then i would love to fix that.

CrazyCatGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2007, 3:06 am

Everyone has a differing opinion on this subject, however I personally don't believe in cures as a person is born and made the way they are for a reason!! ! with that said I can totally understand that some people would want a cure due to the pain and frustration in their lives.

Selena :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 5:40 am

I'm sure that I've made myself very clear with my profanity in the Autism Speaks Slogan thread, that's in this forum. I never want to be cured. A cure for autism, is such a 1930s idea. I say no to the cure.