Being "Discovered" On Wrong Planet by Outsiders

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:50 am

Have you ever had people on the outside(say at work, school or in your social life) discover you were posting on the message boards at Wrong Planet?

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2007, 1:53 am

Not that I know of, but I did encounter somebody I knew on another asd message board because she posted a picture.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:02 am

It's a known problem for work place free time, for employeers & employees to surf the net looking for dirt on people it's also said to be illegal to do, but online & RL are the same... This isn't another world that's protected from the outside world, that's why u got to be carefull about what you post... Special MYSPACE type stuff...

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:11 am

logitechdog wrote:
It's a known problem for work place free time, for employeers & employees to surf the net looking for dirt on people it's also said to be illegal to do, but online & RL are the same... This isn't another world that's protected from the outside world, that's why u got to be carefull about what you post... Special MYSPACE type stuff...

yep.

my school, when considering applicants for RA's look at their Myspace/Facebook. hyeh.

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2007, 2:26 am

My cousin had to remove the comments section (or whatever they call it) on facebook because friends would leave "offensive" comments and his workplace checks those places. I think he also implied that he needed to be on facebook for some work related purpose.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:31 am

I thought I did, once...thankfully I was mistaken

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 4:21 am

Quote:
Work, school and/or social life.

Ha, I don't have any of those, but as I said in the members' forum; if anyone sees me at Attwood's, you can say hello if you want to. Depending on how I'm feeling I may not say hello back, I'll nod or something in the least to show that I know you're there.

I don't mind it at all; here, there, it's me.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2007, 5:12 am

I have a friend who knows I post here, only cause I told him, he is one of the few who know about my DX. Other then that I have no fear anybody will know who I really am.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 7:52 am

no but some ppl know i think im AS,,, w/e they think of that though... you'd be surprised just how little scientists know about the actual condition... or cant translate from a textbook? but unless it's like the rainman knockin at their door... they're clueless. guess i cant say i knew any different b4 i had my epiphany though.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 8:04 am

Actually, my involvement at WP is something I share with people when it seems appropriate, the way I would share any other interest. I have an NT friend at work, he's 30 years old and is having difficulty finding a girlfriend. We commiserate. I send links to relevant articles. "When you want to know, ask the experts, the people who have given this a lot of thought and can explain it in the most basic terms."

When it comes up, I tell people, "I have Asperger's Syndrome, a developmental disability. You'd never know if I didn't tell you, you'd just think I was eccentric." I explain what it's like for me. I explain what it can be like for people who are more severe than me, or less well adapted. I explain how crippling it can be in adolescence. I refer them to this site for more information.

I've never been ashamed of who or how I am. This is what you get with me. I think it helps that people fundamentally like me. That's probably because I fundamentally like people.

- Emerson

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 8:42 am

I truly hope that nobody will find out my posting here. My mother who knows I like to spend time here doesn't know English (when she used to attend school, it was Russian which was mostly taught in our schools because of our country's past under occupation of communists, not English - the language of rotten West) so she is unable to realize what type of site it is. I also wouldn't like it if somebody from my school discovered this but I'm not particulary afraid of such a possibility - nobody there seems to be interested in investigating this.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:07 pm

I dunno... not that I know of. Sometimes I wonder if my mother will find me on here sometimes, she works with autistics and has quite an interest in AS thanks to me and my brothers so err... it's a possibility I've considered. I hope she doesn't to be honest; I say things on here about how I find living with AS that I wouldn't say to anyone who doesn't have it, regardless of whether or not they know I have it or know about it. I just don't think anyone would understand, and I do such a good job of hiding my aspieness (hehe I sound like a spy!) that I don't really want to 'blow my cover' as such. I hate people fussing and I wouldn't want anyone to treat me any differently, which they probably would.

14 Dec 2007, 2:11 pm

No I have never been found here, my last boyfriend was the only one who found me on here when he decided to search my user name to find photos of me. I should have been freaked out by that but he would have discovered AS anyway. I probably would have blabbed it out to him by asking him to take the quit to see how much aspie he would score.

Myrkabah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2007, 3:47 pm

It hasn't happened, but it concerns me somewhat. Since my internet name is the same as my DJ name, it could lead to an uncomfortable situation.

I would definitely be slightly perturbed if some random Brazilian party person discovered my internet scribblings. >.<

Dreamweaver
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2007, 4:05 pm

I am fairly safe on this aspect, the username I have here is completely different (to the extent of a different language) and no-one here I believe even knows my name. So I think I'm fine.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

14 Dec 2007, 7:04 pm

:? Threads like this one always confuse me.

I regularly refer my boss and co-worker friends to my ramglings here; one of my "neurotypical" best friends regularly reads my ramblings here; it is part of how I share who I am with people. The digial contact card that I send out has a link to my crazy MySpace page in it, and my crazy MySpace page has links to the WP. I have a printout of the WP logo on the outside of my office at work. [I should mention that my workplace is a fairly "liberal" place.]

I find no shame in who or what I am; it's not even really that I feel shame and try to angrily push it away; it's just not there; I am what I am.

Good fortune,

- Icarus is as Icarus does (or writes)...