Campaign on Childhood Mental Illness Succeeds at Being Provo

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:15 am

Campaign on Childhood Mental Illness Succeeds at Being Provocative - New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/busin ... ?ref=media

Right now unprintable what I want to write - but feel BIG apology needed to Aspie community and everyone else they have offended....

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 9:41 am

That is disgusting. I think there needs to be a distinction made between actual mental mental illnesses (like OCD, Schizophrenia, Bipolar, etc), mental/cognitive abnormalities (differences from the average, like Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, etc. that are not necessarily either good or bad), learning disabilities (like dyslexia), and intellectual deficits (like mental retardation).

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 9:43 am

I think another person has started a thread proposing a letter-writing campaign against these ads, Alyson. Agreed that they are foul. :eew:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 10:53 am

I've posted a link to this thread in the comments section of the article.

- Emerson

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:57 pm

Disgusting.

How is autism a mental illness - it's not an illness at all; that implies it's cureable.

The only cure would be a full lobotomy and rewiring of the brain.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:31 pm

MrMark wrote:
I've posted a link to this thread in the comments section of the article.

Well, I submitted a link to this thread. Appearently their moderators don't want their readers to hear from us.

Perhaps each of you should copy your post there with a link to this thread and something like "Read more of what people who actually have autism have to say about this article."

Please post in a manner that reflects well on WP and aspies everywhere.

- Emerson

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 3:40 pm

i am greatly disturbed by tthese ads i have posted the link below with a website from that organization which shows ALL the ads theys posted not only am i disturbed my the aspie one im disturbed by the one for OCD

http://www.aboutourkids.org/about_us/public_awareness

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 4:10 pm

I've emailed them the following:

To whom it may concern,

As someone who 'suffers' from Asperger's Syndrome (you know, the one that's going to hold all those kids to ransom?) and has done all my life, I'd like to point out that Asperger's Syndrome - and Autism, and all other Autistic Spectrum disorders - are not mental illnesses, as your campaign would lead people to believe. They are neurological; our brains are wired differently. There is no cure, and the majority of people with AS will tell you they wouldn't want to be cured even if there was one. I certainly wouldn't.

Asperger's Syndrome is not something that needs to be fixed, nor is it always crippling, disabling, or a problem. Au contraire - Asperger's Syndrome has led to, via people throughout history who have 'suffered' from it or are thought to have, some of the greatest inventions, discoveries, and technologies (not to mention literature, art, and music) in history. Without its presence, the world would be a far less interesting, more boring place. Most people with Asperger's will naturally learn to 'blend' in with the Neuro-Typical-dominated world around them. They will make friends, they will learn social conventions, they will grow up to become healthy, happy, well-functioning members of society. Very few 'suffer' from this condition at all.

By having these billboards up promoting the idea that this is indeed a mental illness - which it categorically is NOT - and something that can hold a child to ransom is simply instilling fear and anxiety in children affected, and in the parents of those who suspect the disorder in their children, or whose children have a diagnosis. This is what leads to mental illness.

Why not encourage people affected by Asperger's Syndrome to embrace their difference; to not be afraid of who they are and of what 'problems' they may encounter, but to have the courage it takes to fit into this NT world and grow into healthy, happy adults?

I urge you to visit www.wrongplanet.net for some insight into people affected by this 'condition', and their opinions of the idea of a cure for the syndrome.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX XXXXXX

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 5:29 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
I've emailed them the following:

To whom it may concern,

As someone who 'suffers' from Asperger's Syndrome (you know, the one that's going to hold all those kids to ransom?) and has done all my life, I'd like to point out that Asperger's Syndrome - and Autism, and all other Autistic Spectrum disorders - are not mental illnesses, as your campaign would lead people to believe. They are neurological; our brains are wired differently. There is no cure, and the majority of people with AS will tell you they wouldn't want to be cured even if there was one. I certainly wouldn't.

Asperger's Syndrome is not something that needs to be fixed, nor is it always crippling, disabling, or a problem. Au contraire - Asperger's Syndrome has led to, via people throughout history who have 'suffered' from it or are thought to have, some of the greatest inventions, discoveries, and technologies (not to mention literature, art, and music) in history. Without its presence, the world would be a far less interesting, more boring place. Most people with Asperger's will naturally learn to 'blend' in with the Neuro-Typical-dominated world around them. They will make friends, they will learn social conventions, they will grow up to become healthy, happy, well-functioning members of society. Very few 'suffer' from this condition at all.

By having these billboards up promoting the idea that this is indeed a mental illness - which it categorically is NOT - and something that can hold a child to ransom is simply instilling fear and anxiety in children affected, and in the parents of those who suspect the disorder in their children, or whose children have a diagnosis. This is what leads to mental illness.

Why not encourage people affected by Asperger's Syndrome to embrace their difference; to not be afraid of who they are and of what 'problems' they may encounter, but to have the courage it takes to fit into this NT world and grow into healthy, happy adults?

I urge you to visit www.wrongplanet.net for some insight into people affected by this 'condition', and their opinions of the idea of a cure for the syndrome.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX XXXXXX

Great response I'm with you 100% and will go to site to endorse what you say..

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:43 pm

Cheers! :)

I emailed that to the email address listed on the site linked above; didn't see the comments section of the page until afterwards! Feel free to copy/paste it into the comments though. :)

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 6:49 am

Thanks for that :wink:
Not easy to place comments, after having to register no where to comment - so need to email to them, will try again thanks...

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 6:58 am

asplanet wrote:
Thanks for that :wink:
Not easy to place comments, after having to register no where to comment - so need to email to them, will try again thanks...

It's complicated, but you can submit a comment. However, all comments must be approved by their moderator first.

- Emerson

mcsquared
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2007, 9:35 am

Odin wrote:
That is disgusting. I think there needs to be a distinction made between actual mental mental illnesses (like OCD, Schizophrenia, Bipolar, etc), mental/cognitive abnormalities (differences from the average, like Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, etc. that are not necessarily either good or bad), learning disabilities (like dyslexia), and intellectual deficits (like mental retardation).

I'd be kind of careful before making such a distinction given the number of spectrum people who have been misdiagnosed or doubly diagnosed with schizo or bipolar. There's overlap between ADHD and bipolar where currently kids who might have been diagnosed with ADD are now being diagnosed with bipolar which does have more serious repercussions.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 10:05 am

Here are some other discussion threads on this topic.

Psych groups' fury over 'ransom' ads (NYDailyNews.com), MrMark, 15 Dec
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt51090.html

URGENT CALL TO ACTION from ASAN, aspiepaula, 10 Dec
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt50628.html

Are you held hostage by Autism?, KimJ, 6 Dec
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt50286.html

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 4:08 pm

Well done everyone
A Message Regarding the "Ransom Notes" Public Awareness Campaign

When we launched our "Ransom Notes" public awareness campaign two weeks ago, our goal was to call attention to the millions of children with untreated psychiatric and learning disorders. We wanted a campaign that would grab people’s attention, break through the clutter, and serve as a wake up call to what we believe is America’s last silent public health crisis. We felt something dramatic was needed to call attention to the dire outlook for children with untreated disorders: higher risk for academic failure, school dropout, substance abuse, suicide, unemployment, and imprisonment.

The campaign succeeded in getting people’s attention and sparking dialogue, but much of the debate centered on the ads instead of the issues. We’ve received thousands of calls and letters from parents, mental health professionals, educators, advocates, and concerned third parties, all of whom are passionate about helping children. While many people praised the campaign and urged us to stay the course, others were troubled by it.

Though we meant well, we've come to realize that we unintentionally hurt and offended some people. We’ve read all the emails, both pro and con, listened to phone calls, and have spoken with many parents who are working day and night to get their children the help they need. We have decided to conclude this phase of our campaign today because the debate over the ads is taking away from the pressing day-to-day work we need to do to help children and their families. They are and remain our first concern.

Our goal was to start a national dialogue. Now that we have the public’s attention, we need your help. We would like to move forward and harness the energy that this campaign has generated to work together so that we do not lose one more day in the lives of these children. We hope you will partner with us to bring the issues surrounding child and adolescent mental health to the top of America's agenda. Work with us as we fight to give children and their families equal access to health insurance, remove the stigma that the term "psychiatric disorder" so clearly still elicits, and, most importantly, support the drive to make research and science-based treatment a national priority.

We invite all of you to continue this conversation online at a “town hall” meeting that we will hold early next year as we plan the next phase of our national public awareness campaign on child mental health.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:43 am

Child Study Center Cancels Autism Ads - 20 Dec.07,
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02230.html