Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 3:48 pm

Hi all.

My son got his formal diagnoses on the 10th of this month, however his evaluating team expressed that they were concerned because they discovered that J has an additional problem, which is going to complicate things for him and mean much more work for everyone. They discovered he has a visual memory disorder. Has anyone else ever been dx'd with this as well as aspergers? 8O :?

ster
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 4:49 pm

nope

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 12:28 pm

How did they test for that? Was your son complying when the test was given?

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 2:23 pm

The tests were done twice, once by his school 1 1/2 years earlier and then again by themselves.

His OT also said during the very first visit that she thought he would have problems in this area. I should have questioned her more, but I was busy filling out forms.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 9:50 am

If I were you, I would find out what the test activity is for that and try to work on it at home. Make it like a game. It will get better. My son had problems with one of the vocabulary subsets of an IQ test. It's the one where the tester asks how 3 things are alike. They throw out 3 words, like hammer, nails, and screwdriver. My son couldn't do it at first and I thought we had a major problem on our hands, until we played that like a game for a while. He does it easily now.

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2007, 10:53 pm

I've never been diagnosed with a visual memory problem, but I have a very poor visual memory. I have trouble remembering faces until I've seen people multiple times, and I can get lost in a phone booth.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2007, 12:35 am

bobert wrote:
I've never been diagnosed with a visual memory problem, but I have a very poor visual memory. I have trouble remembering faces until I've seen people multiple times, and I can get lost in a phone booth.

Hmm I can never recognize faces, and when I try to "backtrack" i always end up turning left when i should be turning right, etc.

however, if i see something written down i won't forget it. :?

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2007, 2:31 am

Quote:
I have trouble remembering faces....

That's prospagnosia and it's sometimes unrelated to visual memory deficits.