Noah's Ark; The human race would start over

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:25 am

Assuming that this story is true, is it one we need to know. Doesn't it give people an excuse to try the same thing.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:43 am

It is not a true story as written. Do you really think that this floating zoo carried ALL the various species of animal life? And that after the flood, the kangaroos hopped over the ocean back to Australia, while the wombats burrowed to Tasmania? The logistics of that story demand a complete renunciation of rational thought - you have to believe in magic. In which case you believe anything is possible. No need to quit those vices and lose weight - magic prayers will keep you healthy. No need to reduce spending and save - God will bless you with wealth. Unless he blesses you with poverty (his ways are mysterious).

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 10:04 am

It's a myth and legend, like most of the other stuff in the bible. And even if it were true, they are wasting their time looking on the TOP of Mt Ararat, because if it happened that long ago, it would be buried at least 75 feet BELOW the surface of the Black Sea, which is where the flood happened. Besides, not even petrified wood would survive intact for as long as the story of Genesis quotes, let alone shittah or oak or whatever the smeg it was. Oh, one last thing, 40 days and 40 nights in a confined space with all those large animals....... the methane would have killed half of what was on board if the other germs in the poo didn't.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2007, 11:18 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
Assuming that this story is true, is it one we need to know. Doesn't it give people an excuse to try the same thing.

What do you mean by "try the same thing". It would take 5 times the water that currently exists on earth to flood the whole earth. It would then take tens of millions of years for all that water to be boiled off into space.

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2007, 3:00 pm

It would be another viable explanation for the fossils being buried in the ground, as well as several other odd geological irregularities. Really, it being true is crucial to whether or not the book of Genesis is true. I'm not sure what you mean by "try the same thing" though.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 3:17 pm

jfrmeister wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:

What do you mean by "try the same thing". It would take 5 times the water that currently exists on earth to flood the whole earth. It would then take tens of millions of years for all that water to be boiled off into space.

I think you're missing the point. He's trying to get an opinion as to the value of any message conveyed by the Genesis account i.e God seeing things on earth as bad, flooding it to kill off everything not on the ark, then promising not to do it again. Assuming the story is true is for the sake of argument, as it were. He's putting to one side the normally controversial bit to consider the wider implications of the story.

At least that's my interpretation; but I may be wrong.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 3:19 pm

ascan wrote:
At least that's my interpretation; but I may be wrong.

Yes, you may be. He could be alluding to global warming.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 3:22 pm

Capriccio wrote:
It would be another viable explanation for the fossils being buried in the ground, as well as several other odd geological irregularities.

No it wouldn't.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 3:27 pm

jfrmeister wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:

And if the crust were to be made level with respect to gravity, what depth would the worldwide ocean be?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 3:30 pm

ascan wrote:
Capriccio wrote:
It would be another viable explanation for the fossils being buried in the ground, as well as several other odd geological irregularities.

No it wouldn't.

Prove it.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 3:41 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Prove it.

I suggest you read some geology books, then go and look at some rocks. However, if there's anything specific you wish to be explained then please ask.

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2007, 4:11 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
jfrmeister wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:

And if the crust were to be made level with respect to gravity, what depth would the worldwide ocean be?

This is a non-sensical hypothetical. The earth is covered in very old, weathered, worn-down mountian ranges.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 5:34 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
Doesn't it give people an excuse to try the same thing.

No. For one, God sent the Flood and it was not manmade. Two, God chose the people, not man. This isn't a "no child left behind" thing; you miss the boat, you swim.

If you want to blast the Earth with nuclear bombs until it looks like Venus, you have a slight problem: bomb shelters don't work that well after a few megatons have been expended on them. Also the radioactive particulate matter is not good for breathing and all life would be gone from Earth in a few decades if any survives the initial blasting.

Aspie_Chav, what was the intent of this thread anyway?

monty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 10:59 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Also the radioactive particulate matter is not good for breathing and all life would be gone from Earth in a few decades if any survives the initial blasting.

I think bacteria would survive. I am a firm believer in the doctrine of Microbial Infallibility.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 11:06 pm

monty wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Also the radioactive particulate matter is not good for breathing and all life would be gone from Earth in a few decades if any survives the initial blasting.

I think bacteria would survive. I am a firm believer in the doctrine of Microbial Infallibility.
:salut:

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2007, 11:33 pm

monty wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :hail: :hail: :hail: