Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Dec 2007, 3:31 am

My house would have open spaces and furniture with round corners so if I walk into it I don't cut myself.

I would have a digital time table on the lounge wall, it would beep when time was finished for one thing, and I needed to start something else. Also it would be remote controlled.

All power would be run from solar pannels which are on my roof. Not really anything to do with AS, I'd just like to more environmental friendly if I had the chance.

The walls would be smooth wood...I don't like the texture of wall paper.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 4:13 am

I forgot to mention the army of robot maids......i really need those...

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 9:36 am

Basically the ideal house would be situated AWAY from any pollution - noise or smell - and be in a completely natural, lovely, mountainous region that had zero political upheaval of any sort, wasn't prone to natural disasters and wasn't near any kind of nuclear fallout/waste facility or any kind of governmental agency of any sort. Away from cell towers and away from anything that would harsh the mellow of the very special snowflake that I am. :wink:

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 9:58 am

Some ideals for a house:

- Having two studies. A small one for work and administrations. And a bigger one with lots of bookshelves for my books about sailing, nature, science and scouting. And storage space for my materials.
- A small bedroom, scarcely decorated. Only a closet for reading books. And a closes for my clothing.
- Toilet seperate from my bathroom (that one I already accomplished)
- Soundproofing between the neighbours and my house
- A garage for my car and bikes
- Easy to clean
- Having a view, not directly behind or another building, I like views on water or trees
- Clean air would be nice, but in NL next to impossible

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2007, 11:18 am

I think if you put the "dream house" somewhere secluded, where few people ever go, you could do without the sound proofing, and enjoy the nice sounds like bird-chirping and the noise of a really intense rain storm (uh, I like that one too!).

To me the most important place in such a house would be the study: A place with a HUGHE desk, with my computer gear, and probably a lot of bookshelves surrounding a pretty dang comfortable office chairs (with a tall back, and able to recline so far you could easily fall asleep in the thing) in front of the desk.

Instead of fluorescent lights, may I suggest the use LED technology, which is about as energy efficient, but allows for a variety of colors and intensities -- and does away with the flickering that seems to bother quite a number of people...

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 1:36 pm

I used to have problems with tube-lights, until my 25-26th they were buzzing really loud. Now I am a bit older (27) and probably lost the ability to hear those frequencies, since I am not hearing them anymore.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 2:16 pm

Somewhere where you don't have to pay the rent or pay any bills apart from that I can go with anything except I would like an automatic air conditioning unit that don't make any noise to come on at night in the summer so I don't leave my window open at night I live in the town centre and listening to a couple of drunks fighting at 3 o'clock in the morning can quite fun to listen to but when you really want your sleep no it's just annoying.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 2:25 pm

I would say that this all sounds like a good job for Extreme Home Makeover but they already did a house for a family full of people with ASDs. :roll:

To add to the listing, I like there to be enough space where I don't feel like the walls are closing in on me.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 3:44 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I forgot to mention the army of robot maids......i really need those...

That goes without saying :P

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 3:47 pm

jjstar wrote:
Basically the ideal house would be situated AWAY from any pollution - noise or smell - and be in a completely natural, lovely, mountainous region that had zero political upheaval of any sort, wasn't prone to natural disasters and wasn't near any kind of nuclear fallout/waste facility or any kind of governmental agency of any sort. Away from cell towers and away from anything that would harsh the mellow of the very special snowflake that I am. :wink:

Sounds like you want to live in my home town. Believe me, it does get boring.

Best,

Idaho Aspie

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 3:51 pm

Scramjet wrote:
I think if you put the "dream house" somewhere secluded, where few people ever go, you could do without the sound proofing, and enjoy the nice sounds like bird-chirping and the noise of a really intense rain storm (uh, I like that one too!).

To me the most important place in such a house would be the study: A place with a HUGHE desk, with my computer gear, and probably a lot of bookshelves surrounding a pretty dang comfortable office chairs (with a tall back, and able to recline so far you could easily fall asleep in the thing) in front of the desk.

Instead of fluorescent lights, may I suggest the use LED technology, which is about as energy efficient, but allows for a variety of colors and intensities -- and does away with the flickering that seems to bother quite a number of people...

I think the only problem with a house totally secluded is that it would be hard to have maids and others to help you out. You also wouldn't have the internet, and that would just be an unlivable situation for many Aspies.

Best,

Idaho Aspie

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 7:40 pm

Why wait for the greatest home ever when can start now-start small-at least then it's easier to get.
That is what am doing,and eventually it's going to be as close to perfect as possible.

As an autie,some of these ideas may not appeal to everyone,but overall should be spectrum wide friendly.

*Environment outside house.
It has to be quiet with no busyness.
Am do not have awareness of danger,and even less awareness of environment/surroundings when out so need a quiet area for it.
-No houses attached because of noise issues and if any houses nearby,as little grass as possible around them due to problems with lawnmowers.

*Inside house.
Sensory room.
Am have bedroom used as a sensory room as there are no spare rooms for one on its own,and would really like to have a room dedicated just to sensory bits and lights,am have a lot of tactile things and a few special lights in bedroom,and a big heavy duty rug used for pressure but there is only so many things that will fit in this room.

*Sound proofing.
Am getting this done on bedroom once funding is there.

*Decent double glazing.
Am waiting for this to happen,as current double glazing is more like single glass and lets noise through like they were open.

*Radiator guards.
Am always blistering skin from being close to radiators for too long and not noticing skin is sticking as pain threshold is very high,so these have got to be there.

*Wooden flooring.
Can't think of the proper name for them at the moment,but would have these all over the house covering as much floor as possible to make sure hoover will not be needed, cannot cope with being in a house when the hoover is on,so use wooden flooring in bedroom,and go out when staff hoover.

*Protection padding in places headbanged/meltdowned on.
Am already have this,but need a lot more,and more protective cushions.

*Fridge be one of those extra silent [as possible] ones.

*Toilet and Bath in seperate rooms.
This is how it is here,am appreciate it this sort of set up a lot as am don't recognise when needing the toilet until it's very desperate,and it's bad when someone else is in the bathroom having a bath or shower.

*Lounge TV-one of those big flat LCD ones-HD ready,not a crappy one either [and an xbox360 to go with it].

*Special adult lounger type swings in the garden,like the ones Mencap centres' use.

*Wireless internet and sky tv [with sky+ box].

*A cat [or more].
Not the same without them.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 8:11 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Why wait for the greatest home ever when can start now-start small-at least then it's easier to get.
That is what am doing,and eventually it's going to be as close to perfect as possible.

As an autie,some of these ideas may not appeal to everyone,but overall should be spectrum wide friendly.

i went to visit a group home recently which had most of your ideas, it was almost perfect.

Quote:
*Environment outside house.
It has to be quiet with no busyness.
Am do not have awareness of danger,and even less awareness of environment/surroundings when out so need a quiet area for it.
-No houses attached because of noise issues and if any houses nearby,as little grass as possible around them due to problems with lawnmowers.

this one was in a posh area of town (very important i think to be in a low crime area), was on a quiet road ,large detached house, really the only problem with it was that it backed on to a pub... even then actually it backed on to the far end of the pub car park, so the pub was a very long way away, but would have to go back on a saturday night to see how bad that would be.

Quote:

*Inside house.
Sensory room.
Am have bedroom used as a sensory room as there are no spare rooms for one on its own,and would really like to have a room dedicated just to sensory bits and lights,am have a lot of tactile things and a few special lights in bedroom,and a big heavy duty rug used for pressure but there is only so many things that will fit in this room.

didnt have this, dont know why they hadnt thought of this one :(

Quote:
*Sound proofing.
Am getting this done on bedroom once funding is there.

*Decent double glazing.
Am waiting for this to happen,as current double glazing is more like single glass and lets noise through like they were open.

*Radiator guards.
Am always blistering skin from being close to radiators for too long and not noticing skin is sticking as pain threshold is very high,so these have got to be there.

had all of that :) sound proofing in all bedrooms!! ! and the bedrooms were on the opposite side of the house to the common areas.
Quote:
*Wooden flooring.
Can't think of the proper name for them at the moment,but would have these all over the house covering as much floor as possible to make sure hoover will not be needed, cannot cope with being in a house when the hoover is on,so use wooden flooring in bedroom,and go out when staff hoover.

you mean laminate flooring? 'proper' wood flooring would probably be too expensive and problematic. i have proper wood floors in my rooms at home (parquet in one room, bamboo in other)

this house had *thick* carpets.... it has the benefit of being highly sound-absorbent (wood floors tend to echo :( ), the house was really really really quiet... unfortunately i do find walking on thick carpet a severe sensory issue :( as well as the hoovering problem, although some makes of vacuum are quieter than others (avoid dysons like the plague!)
Quote:
*Toilet and Bath in seperate rooms.
This is how it is here,am appreciate it this sort of set up a lot as am don't recognise when needing the toilet until it's very desperate,and it's bad when someone else is in the bathroom having a bath or shower.

this house had en suite toilet and shower in each bedroom, plus a proper bath in a bathroom upstairs.
Quote:
*Lounge TV-one of those big flat LCD ones-HD ready,not a crappy one either [and an xbox360 to go with it].

*Wireless internet and sky tv [with sky+ box].

old TV and a ps2 and sky, but had wireless internet plus 2 computers for anyone to use in one of the common areas
Quote:
*A cat [or more].
Not the same without them.

i'm allergic unfortunately :cry: besides, a horse and stables would be better :lol:

the house had 3 common areas: a lounge with TV, a games/entertainment room (with stereo, computers and pool table), and the gartage was being converted into a gym.... what it was really missing was a sensory room, i guess they could convert one of the rooms if it was what the residents wanted, i guess rthey just have to go by what people ask for.... and since the only person moved in so far (its a new place) is into fitness he gets his own gym.

*sigh*... wish i could have moved in but i dont think i would have coped, i just felt stressed out visiting, i dont think im ready for it yet, it is very scary :(

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 8:17 pm

A home with lots of kitties-which mine is! A house without cats-or pets-is just a house. The ideal house has to give comfort to pets as well as people.

petal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2007, 8:49 pm

HaHA you know when I was 10 I actually drew house plans (they were all professional looking and drawn to scale, all little details and everything you would see on real house plans but with furniture included...........------at the time i was kind of obsessed with architecture)

well the only thing I couldn't display properly was the location, and that is one of (if not THE) most important things when designing a house for any particular purpose. Mine was secluded, away from everything ( I planned on inventing a new vehicle that would allow for direct transport in the fastest time posible that did not run on fossil fuels). there were no bright city lights where i pictured it so you could choose any night you wanted and walk out to the mini observatory in the backyard and look at the stars.. there were also tall forests surrounding it to provide almost complete privacy.
there was a different room for every puropse and the ceilings were high ( I really hate low ceilings, it feels too cluttered)
also, it was designed in a way that allowed for immediate access to the most important rooms ( aka was layed out well)
I didn't actually draw these into the plans ( i did intend on building this house so if anyone was to find the plans they would know, and the whole point of them is to be "secret") but I also put hiden passages and double doors and multiple cellars into the plans (thought plans) -- you can never be too safe

I will look for the plans that I drew and if i can find them I will post them up here as soon as i can.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 9:15 pm

My ideal house would have three rooms: A bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom...

The kitchen has the common food preparation appliances, dishwasher, and a washer/dryer combo.
The bathroom would have a toilet, sink, shower, and a small medicine cabinet containing most of the stuff i need for hygiene purposes.
The bedroom would have a bed, my desk, and some storage space (which accounts for most of the space of the room, actually... The bed would be custom-made to morph into a chair and back into a bed as I need it to, the room itself would have no windows (and the door would be one of those star trek-style automatic sliding doors), and the only light would come from the computer monitor.

Oh yeah, one more thing... there would be fans all throughout the house... as the sound of moving air is actually very soothing to me...