What does digital radio sound like when the signal is bad?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Appen
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2007, 11:39 pm

Could someone record a digital radio staion that has bad reseption. I am asking you to do this because in Australia we don't have digital radio yet

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 11:43 pm

I have an XM receiver and I get an awful signal from where I live. When the signal gets really bad, such as when it rains, it simply cuts out. It gets annoying sometimes.
Being digital, instead of receiving frequencies and wavelengths, the receiver receives 1's and 0's. If it can't receive those 1's and 0's, it has nothing to work with.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2007, 11:00 am

If you have ever seen digital tv that is having problems where it pixelates and cuts out the sound, then you have seen what happens with digital and "high def" radio.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 3:54 pm

I have DAB radio and when the audio reception is poor it has a 'bubbling' quality to it.

GreaseMonkey
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2007, 10:05 pm

New Zealand doesn't have it either, but we have satellite TV, which is digital, and that does the same thing - cuts out.
Although I think you get a very slight "squeak", too.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 9:53 am

OK, from experience of my DVB-T receiver which is about 7 years old and slow anyway, when the signal is bad, the picture cuts out obviously, the audio breaks up badly. has kind of a squeak to it when it tries to come back through again, I imaging DAB (and similar systems across the world) are the same in terms of bad signal and audio though I don't have a receiver to try with

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 6:30 pm

Digital radio transmissions just cut out when the signal is bad. As far as I've experienced there is no in-between where the sound quality goes down or anything.