Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Do Aspies have an advantage over NT in life?
slight disadvantage 27%  27%  [ 8 ]
slight advantage 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
major advantage 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
major disadvantage 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
neutral 30%  30%  [ 9 ]
uncertain 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 30

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2007, 12:13 am

I am just curious about other people's reactions. I am actually uncertain.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 12:16 am

I'm aspie and doomed
donno bout the rest of you

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2007, 12:26 am

Why do you say that?

I find it harder to socially relate to people. But I am also more passionate and honest than just about anyone I know. I am also not bothered by the superficial fashionable things that other people worry about.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 12:27 am

because what's happened so far has sucked
and I haven't had jobs or bills to worry about
soon I will, I'm doomed
doomed to die a pesants death

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 12:36 am

Freed from the common, gifted with the uncommon, with the obsessive drive to do major work.

What shall I do today, watch football on TV, or solve the third problem Tesla defined for finishing the Death Ray.

Most never get close to even thinking about the real, Aspies get to live it!

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 12:40 am

I wish I could be NT...
that the curse whatever God/Goddess gave to me would be lifted
I hate everything about my AS and would die a happy man if it would go away
and would give all I have to be free of it

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2007, 1:02 am

Ok, please let there be more of you. I would bet if AS had a public awareness campaign, oh, NTs would be bowing. Actually, they’d be lazy and ask you to do all their work…crap…slavery.

Seriously, Inventor has said what I have said my whole life in a way. Who wants some baseball cap football wearing beer drinking dude when there are problems to be solved intellectual conversations to be had or work to be done. I said that as a run on sentence for a reason.

I am sorry social is so hard, but think about what really matters…friends who use you or your contribution to the world…

I know working with NTs is really difficult, and I would never expect an AS to conform. The world just needs to know there is a lot of people walking around that contribute intellectually more than socially and they all need to be respected and do what they do best. Think...

Hey…. I just thought of a good marketing campaign…

Think…

That will be the catch phrase for AS awareness!! !

Ohh, I just envisioned the 30 second clip. Instead of the parent awareness with drugs…

Announcer “Think”

Person “I have AS and I [name the accomplishment]

Etc

Final Announcement “AS, it’s not what you think”…

Hmmmm…

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Dec 2007, 2:25 am

I voted slight advantage, of course it depends on the factors you are considering and what you feel is important as fas as measuring success in life.

I tend to in life to better then NT peers my age, I always work harder, I always get better grades on average in collage, I was 22 when I became a homeowner, most dont acheive this till their 30's, I have a decent job that many my age are not fortunate enough to have, many still work around town for just over minimum wage. I have excellent budget and anticipation skills so I dont fall behind on bills, I keep doing better and have plans in place in the event something goes wrong. I have much more powers of reflection, memory and understanding of the importance of my time on Earth and what I need to do in life to someday be truly happy.

It is for these reasons I feel, taking into account my weaknesses socally and dealing with people, judgement, that makes it much harder to deal in life, I think as far as I am concerned I have a better shot at being fufilled, happy and sucessful in my own eyes in life then the majority of my NT peers.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 6:36 am

Pretty much... we are disadvantaged. Unfortunately, every group that becomes a minority group is of a disadvantage.

But the one great thing about this? It's an instant ticket to uniqueness.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

16 Dec 2007, 7:08 am

Majorally disadvantaged with a slight advantage. But, as ever, it's what you make of them that defines how big they really are for you.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 9:53 am

I choose AS, because we're the ones who are more tolerant of individual differences.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 4:55 pm

In terms of our way of thinking, imagination, and perseverance, we have an advantage over neurotypicals. However, I say that we because we can't communicate or emphasize very well, which is a slight disadvantage on our part. But I voted a slight advantage because I think that an advantage is present because, despite our disadvantages compared to neurotypicals, we all have the potential to be extremely successful people in our field of interest because of our advanced way of thinking, imagination, and perseverance.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

AussieBoy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2007, 7:24 pm

Aspies 51%
NTs 49%

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2007, 7:50 pm

They have some advantages and some disadvantages, which pretty much cancel eachother out. But saying that there is no difference is like sticking half your body in the freezer and the other half in the oven and saying "My body temperature is fine."