LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 9:14 am

From the Brighton & Hove Argus (UK)

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/generaln ... remony.php

Quote:
Brave youngster honoured at awards ceremony

A severely autistic ten-year-old who saved his mother's life is among the winners in the Woman's Own Children of Courage Awards.

Myles Fitzpatrick, from Haywards Heath, jumped into action when his mother Leza suffered a near fatal asthma attack.

Myles is usually unable to carry out even basic instructions, such as being told to wash his hands.

But when Leza, 37, suddenly found herself fighting for breath as she watched TV with two of her other three children - Luke, 12 and Katrina, 15 - she heard Katrina tell Myles to dial 999.

As Katrina held her mother's hand, Myles found a letter with his address on, and read it out to the operator.

The operator then gave him instructions on how to perform emergency resuscitation, which he relayed word for word to Katrina.

By the time paramedics arrived 20 minutes later, Leza had regained consciousness and Myles had reverted back to his old self.

Leza said: "I'm amazed that he managed to step outside of his world just long enough to save my life.

"I feel very lucky to be given these three children."

Stars of stage and screen gathered for the event today, including recently crowned King of the Jungle Christopher Biggins, Cerys Matthews, Simon Cowell, Shayne Ward, Richard Madeley, Judy Finnegan, Brendan Cole, Kate Garraway, Jimmy Tarbuck, and Gok Wan, as well as various soap stars.

5:07pm Wednesday 12th December 2007

busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Dec 2007, 9:38 am

Wow that is great!! !

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 10:13 am

The same thing happened here a little while back: a young autistic boy rang the ambulance and subsequently saved his mother.

Extreme situations "break" the autistic walls, a few months back I called the police after a car accident I was involved in; I would never do such under other circumstances, i.e., I get my mother to call the police to ask questions for me concerning misc. stuff. Also, I spoke my first [grammatically incorrect] sentence for the first time when I was five after hurting myself and requiring stitches.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 4:58 pm

Why is this so amazing? I mean it's wonderful that he saved her - don't get me wrong. It's just that people act so surprised when someone with some disorder does something reasonable. It might have been unusual for him, but dire situations will make anybody do unusual things.
Props to the kid, but he's just another person doing what people do: whatever they have to.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 5:38 pm

I think it's great - just proves that there is 'something there', and that not all autistics are 'psychos'.

In that same paper last week there was a story about an Asperger's girl - aged 5 - who had been excluded from school for punching her teacher. Her mother was saying how glad she was because it meant that finally she might get some govt help and be allowed into a special school where they could cope with her needs, as she'd been fighting for the past year to get her funding for the help she needed to get on in school, as she was very bright but couldn't cope with school. The comments left on the story made me feel sick, I was so upset to read how ignorant and nasty people can be.

So I'm really glad they've run this story.

I think the kid's fantastic - not everyone could do what he's done.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 6:57 pm

Great kid! :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 4:36 pm

Awesome kid! :D