Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2007, 8:46 pm

ive noticed that now i am very self conscious about everything i do, and im sure this is very common with others here, but from what i gather from memories of my actions in the past, i wasn't always like this.

i think i really only started to be like this between middle school and high school. i remember doing all sorts of weird things when i was in middle school and being ridiculed for them by my peers and parents, i was pretty overweight then although i have thinned out significantly by now. when i think about how i was then, its hard to believe that i was even self conscious at all then, have other people felt this way? is self consciousness something that develops overtime?

i worry about being so self conscious because i feel it hinders me from doing things i'd enjoy, but at the same time, i really cant stand people who are obviously not self aware or self conscious at all and i dont want to be like that one bit.

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2007, 9:03 pm

I agree, I've become much more self-aware over the past 3 or 4 years, I'd say. (I'm 20 now.) I think it is something that develops. Now I don't embarrass myself as much as I used to, but on the other hand, it was nice before I was self-conscious, to live without a care...

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 9:19 pm

Nothing I do is safe - I'm convinced someone will find a reason to berate me for it.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 10:20 pm

I went from the complete oblivion of my childhood to this state of hyper-self-consciousness in my teens and early adulthood..I was always sorta chided for it...now I am 32...more self-centered than anything really...

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 11:15 pm

DejaQ wrote:
Nothing I do is safe - I'm convinced someone will find a reason to berate me for it.

same

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 1:07 am

same here

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 9:03 am

Me too.
Was so very clueless as a kid-as I've aged, I've learned, which has increased my self-consciousness (causing both positive & negative psychological consequences).
Nothing I do ever feels 'right enough', beyond reproach or criticism. I'm painfully vulnerable to others' disparaging comments, now that I've become sensitized to those factors.
Am self-aware, self-absorbed, self-centered, self-obsessed, self-interested, etc.-a combination of aspects that is both constructive and destructive.

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2007, 9:38 am

Belfast wrote:
Nothing I do ever feels 'right enough', beyond reproach or criticism. I'm painfully vulnerable to others' disparaging comments, now that I've become sensitized to those factors.

Same here.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Dec 2007, 10:16 am

Indeed, I became truly self consious around high school, but it was developing years before that. I feel I am fully self consious now as an adult.